Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Pouch 300 // looking for user feedback
Quote | Reply
Just bought one and tried it over the weekend. I did not over pack it (1 lightweight tube, 1 Co2 + chuck, 2 levers) and it's impossible to get the bottle out of there even when focusing on the rotation motion they recommend! With a Gorilla XT + pouch, I can literally lift my bike off the ground while holding the bottle. I switched the Gorilla XT for a Chimp and it's a little better, but I still can't get it out of there when on the bike. On the plus side, there's no way that I'm losing my bottle on bumpy rides.

To Aero pouch 300 users, what cage are you using and are you able to easily get it out of there? I tried a search, but did not find much about this.

Thanks,
Elliot
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Pouch 300 // looking for user feedback [ElliotOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I can't get it out, either (I have the gorilla cage).

I squeeze my bottle in there to the point I think I can get it out.....and still not lose it. I've been lucky (or good), so far (It's gotten me through 2 HIM's, doing it that way).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really liked the Aero Pouch but I also found it tough to get a bottle out. You could probably use the Chimp or Gorilla cage to make it easier. I ended up switching back to a Turbo Wing and a storage pod.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ElliotOP wrote:
Just bought one and tried it over the weekend. I did not over pack it (1 lightweight tube, 1 Co2 + chuck, 2 levers) and it's impossible to get the bottle out of there even when focusing on the rotation motion they recommend! With a Gorilla XT + pouch, I can literally lift my bike off the ground while holding the bottle. I switched the Gorilla XT for a Chimp and it's a little better, but I still can't get it out of there when on the bike. On the plus side, there's no way that I'm losing my bottle on bumpy rides.

To Aero pouch 300 users, what cage are you using and are you able to easily get it out of there? I tried a search, but did not find much about this.

Thanks,
Elliot

Your problem is the common consensus of the aero pouch.

Most people switch out the x-lab cage for one of the cheap plastic ones. I for one use one of the Elite plastic cages and it works great. I found that the Elite cage used with the aero pouch holds the bottle tight enough that it wont launch bottles on rough roads, but at the same time holds it securely (still have to do the twist motion).
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Pouch 300 // looking for user feedback [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:
ElliotOP wrote:

Thanks,
Elliot

Your problem is the common consensus of the aero pouch.

Most people switch out the x-lab cage for one of the cheap plastic ones. I for one use one of the Elite plastic cages and it works great. I found that the Elite cage used with the aero pouch holds the bottle tight enough that it wont launch bottles on rough roads, but at the same time holds it securely (still have to do the twist motion).

I have one....used it for the first time in Galveston. No issues. Got bottle out while in aero....twisted bottle while removing from cage. I have an X-LAB cage as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually just put it back on in preparation for my next race.
It is very hard to use with "normal" bottles, but the bottles you get at aid stations are usually more narrow and launch with normal cage.

Form me, keeping the rear bottle from flying out is actually a bigger benefit than the aero advantage (which I'm sure we can argue endlessly about). Tiny storage space is a plus as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the aero pouch with an XLAB chimp cage, and what I had to (I found this idea here, I'm not this smart) was mount the pouch with cage, stick a full water bottle in, then put the tube, co2, levers, and inflator into the pouch. Then the bottle would come out and go in with a little more ease.

The caveat is that while racing I would only take the bottle out once: I had BTS bottle in the pouch, and a second bottle on the frame. I would use those 2 bottles to refill my Torhans BTA. So I remove the bottle from behind the seat, refill my torhans, and then toss the bottle. I only replaced the bottle once I got to special needs.

I'm not a fan of repeatedly reaching back to a cage behind the seat while riding, but especially so when using the aeropouch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I havent had any issues personally... i actually didnt know anyone was complaining about the bottle issue. I'm happy because they dont eject but havent had any problems reaching behind me and pulling bottle out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Zipp Alumina cage, then bent the tab back that grabs that little indention in the bottle. Works like a charm. I can fill the pouch full and it doesn't affect it.

The gorilla cage was impossible for me to get the bottle out before - I had to stop and get off the bike to get the bottle. It was mounted at a pretty sharp angle though, and that may be part of the issue for a lot of us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swapped the Gorilla cage for a Bontrager RXL cage and have no issues with getting the bottle out or launching bottles. I now use my Gorilla for my BTA hydration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Elliot - and everyone else who has posted so far on this thread!

We did realize that the Aero Pouch was just a little too tight! We were tired of seeing bottles all over the course get launched, but perhaps we went a bit too far :)

Anyways, we made a few improvements to help ease the tightness.
1. We added tips to help loosen the grip of the cage/bag when packed tightly. These are located underneath the header card and can also be found in the online instructions.
2. All Delta carriers are coming with standard Gorilla cages now. The Gorillas that we are currently producing are actually testing with a higher grip force than advertised so no need to have the extra grip of the XT on there.
3. Our latest batch of bags are slightly larger where the bottle fits. From testing this has made quite a difference in the grip. Slight disclaimer (We haven't tested the new bag in a race with aid station bottles. Daniela Ryf has been seen in photos using the Aero Pouch with the Arrowhead bottles. We cannot say whether those bottles will stay as secure as they once had when using these new bags. This is of course also specific to how much one stuffs their pouch as well).

Lastly! We have introduced an exchange program - Slowtwitch is the 1st to hear about this! If you don't want to try another cage with your Aero Pouch and want to try the latest production batch of bags - we are happy to exchange your current one, for this new one. A few rules apply, but if you are interested please email me directly with Aero Pouch Exchange in the subject line.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Pouch 300 // looking for user feedback [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your feedback!

Candice, thank you for reaching out personally. For your information, I always had outstanding customer service from Xlab. The last time I had an issue, I sent an email to support and Trent quickly worked out a solution and my setup has been working flawlessly ever since.

I'll write you an email, I'd like to know the details of the exchange program.

Elliot
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Pouch 300 // looking for user feedback [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Candice. I have a Delta 425 with the Gorilla XT cage.... do you think I should try the Aero Pouch with the XT or would you still expect the XT might be too tight (even with the latest run of bags). I know you mentioned it works better with Gorilla, wondered if you tested XT also.

Also, is the best way to ensure I get the "new" bag to order direct from xlab? I assume there could be some old stock out at LBS or from online sellers. Thanks again for taking time to answer us directly. Awesome support!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Pouch 300 // looking for user feedback [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultimately it comes down to personal ability. I personally cannot use the XT as it is too tight, but I am also an occasional rider, on the small side and have shoulder issues!

We haven't tested the XT with the Aero Pouch, however I will say that you will notice a difference, but whether it is enough - that would be your call. I say if you are able to use your Gorilla XT on a mountain bike or have another use it for it, and can get a new cage I'd do that.

Yes we have the exchange program direct through XLAB - so please email me direct and I can explain the program if you wanted to move forward.

I have already had a few interested and one actively participating!

Thanks!

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My old Aero Pouch is headed back tomorrow. I'll try the new one with my Gorilla XT cage.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Pouch 300 // looking for user feedback [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone tried to fit a light track tubular (Tufo elite or s3) in the pouch?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Pouch 300 // looking for user feedback [Hoodoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impossible to do.
Quote Reply