Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Position Critique
Quote | Reply
I've been trying hard read and to review positions and feel I'm getting closer from the sail I was earlier this summer. Had my wife take a few pictures and a quick video while on the trainer the other day. I tried to be sure to include shots with a helmet on for reference, but I feel I'm pushing unnecessary frontal area. I'll try to get a shot tonight from head-on. Would appreciate any feedback on obvious position changes. If there are other specific shots better for feedback, I appreciate as well.

Background:
  • 5'10" 160#, running background, first season biking consistently and with power (stages).
  • 2012 Felt DA, forward offset seatpost, ISM Time Trial saddle, Profile T4 carbon ski-bends
  • BS was very brief with a static fit and I have since dropped the cockpit down 1" from the initial setup.
  • I "feel" that my current position is harder to generate power then when more upright based on PM readings out on rides. (high variability here I know)
  • Shoulders feel a bit sore after 100m rides so curious of fit helps resolve this? or just learning to be tougher...
  • Race will be IMFL in a few weeks, so dead flat, FWIW, late in the game for these questions, but just trying to dial in.

My initial thoughts are potentially as follows:
  1. move seat slightly forward and drop cockpit slightly, (rotate around BB? saddle up 5mm perhaps through rotation?)
  2. Slightly increase up-angle of extensions to align more with torso
  3. narrow up elbows ( would #2 help with my struggles to do this comfortably?)

Video clip of motion
http://tinypic.com/m/iwulp0/3

Much appreciated,
Greg
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Position Critique [glyons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, if I'm committing a basic forum blunder faux paux asking this, someone please just tell me and put me out of my misery, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What frame size is that
What stem length/spacer setup do you have

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Position Critique [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Size 54 frame
Stem is 45mm ( I also have a 65mm ) both have the adjustable angle so can be raised/lowered easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saddle height and fore/aft looks okay from what I can tell. you do look a tad bunched up in the front so maybe the slightly longer stem may be better. Other than that the fit looks pretty good.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Position Critique [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can fairly easily swap out stems and push it out 20mm or pads and extensions can both be adjusted forward as well before going that route. Perhaps I'll make some slight tweaks on this and see how it feels. Realized I can't really narrow the extensions/pads up any further as my bottle sits between them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would prob just slide the pads forward a bit first as you don't seem to need much more reach and 20 mm may be too much with the longer stem.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typical high and short triathlete position. Even for long course you should be able to do better. Go lower in front and longer, your reach is pretty short. Unfortunately, you're too close to your race to be making major changes and have proper time for adaptation and experimentation. I'd imagine you have at least 2-3 more good long rides left so before your next long ride, you might try your longer stem and maybe drop slightly and see how it goes, if in doubt stay with what you have. But for next season you should be able to do a lot better, especially for sub IM distances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a video?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Position Critique [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a link in the original post, have to copy and paste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert but having had a few fits recently when trying to find a bike and using a similar saddle.... try and rotate your pelvis further forward on that saddle. I kept being told to do this by the fitter and the photos he had showed me in a similar position to you initially and in a much better one afterwards.

Again, far from an expert but i'd say you need to be a bit longer too as you look a touch bunched up.

http://www.tritriagain.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More reach
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Position Critique [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last night, I slid the extensions/pads forward about 15mm, dropped the base bar about ~5mm and still felt about the same to be honest. I can easily get more drop with the longer stem and pulling the aerobars back slightly to offset. I'll plan to update with a pic tonight for reference.

Correct about remaining rides, so just just validating power output over distance and fine tuning nutrition processing. I have been playing with the position a lot over the last few months (only had bike for ~3 months) I feel that nothing is truly comfortable for a 100m ride, but that is due more to lack of experience in the saddle vs minor position changes. With that said, I someday will likely have an moment of clarity when it all comes good and think what the heck was I doing all that time.

I really appreciate the input/advice everyone. If there are any other obvious drag savings ideas, also open. Wheels will actually be Reynolds Strike SLG, may consider a rear wheel cover as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Position Critique [tritriagain.uk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, this could make sense as I already have shorter cranks on this bike (165mm) and getting forward more does feel helpful in opening up the hips. I'll keep the changes small and see what happens over this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're continuing to have shoulder discomfort on long rides, you might try going wider with your armpads. Generally, narrower is usually faster, but not necessarily; and wider is generally more comfortable. You do want to still be staying in the aero position 90 miles into your IM bike leg.

Running a narrower armpad position is something that can take adaptation over time, if going wider helps you get through your IM you can then try going narrower again in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Position Critique [tritriagain.uk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all of which would be solved with a bigger frame, let's say a 56cm. Or at least something in the 430 Reach 535 Stack range.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply