Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Eye to my helmet choices.
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I am trying to decide how much time and wats I am loosing between my 2 race day helmet choices.

Contestant #1 is my tried and tru custom paint and decal Giro Advantage II

I have worn this helmet in three 70.3 2 olympics a few sprints and in about 1200 miles of training in the last few years. I like it. The ONLY issue is on anything longer than 3 hours I want to start dropping my head due to neck fatigue and when I look down at the powermeter I may be getting some big time drag with the tail sticking up once and a while. The picture on me on the trainer is pretty much my "straight down the road" optimal position (for me I know my position is less than ideal)

Contestant #2 is my newly acquired Giro Air Attack

I got this helmet of a good guy here on ST classifieds gently used. I love the integrated visor, how light it is and how I can drop my head without feeling like I am giving away dray to the wind. It does seem a little cooler ( not as much as some people rave about) I do "think" that it is slower BUT who knows. I doubt I will be having a date with a wind tunnel any time soon so perception is often flawed. I have wrrn this helmet in about 250 miles of training and haven't raced with it yet.

My next race is IMMT, my first full. I have done 5 and 6 hour training rides with both helmets. The Attack is more comfortable to wear over the long haul, I am just trying to get an educated guess on what i am giving up by choosing it.

THANKS
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Eye to my helmet choices. [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No snarky comments "your seat is too high"

I am disappointed. Just when I thought this place was predictable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where have I read that the Air Attack, upon testing, would make a good salad bowl?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Eye to my helmet choices. [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it is costing me some time BUT I aint gona KQ.

If it is 3 or 4 minutes I will fille that in my giant "who gives a shit binder" and I will enjoy the day with a more comfortable helmet.

If I am loosing 10 minutes then I will suck it up and have a stiff neck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you aren't too concerned with time loss due to wearing the air attack vs full aero I would say go air attack. The extra comfort is worth it especially if it means no neck pain. Think about how that could effect you deep into the ride and run, that discomfort and pain will cost you more time somewhere else especially if it causes you to move out of aero position. That being said, w/o any aero testing who knows which is faster.. go with what feels the best over that 5-6hr ride, not too concerned with kq it sounds like. Best of luck to ya!!
Last edited by: Dash_nic_Tri: Aug 1, 15 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
I know it is costing me some time BUT I aint gona KQ.

If it is 3 or 4 minutes I will fille that in my giant "who gives a shit binder" and I will enjoy the day with a more comfortable helmet.

If I am loosing 10 minutes then I will suck it up and have a stiff neck.

The difference would be ~1:30 over an IM. The AA is about 1/2 way between wearing a TT aero helmet and wearing a standard road lid.

That being said, the A2 looks like it fits your position well (neck issues not withstanding).

http://aerogeeks.com/...attack-time-savings/

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Aug 1, 15 18:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried a more aero t-shirt? Definitely some watts lost there.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Eye to my helmet choices. [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
Have you tried a more aero t-shirt? Definitely some watts lost there.

That shirt is a huge improvement from the puffy sleeved pirate shirt i used to wear LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds/seems like u've made up yer mind already. "....not going to KQ" and "...comfort" comments/issues.

You're going AA, most likely.

IF....u were truly "perplexed" I'd say this (assuming u were doing shorter race, willing to put up with heat/airflow discomfort):
"Go with the AA but clear pkg tape up them "holes" for less drag."

Got this advice idea from John Hobbs on Ytube. Look him up there, plenty of other good advice too. (In fact he says u can go with a walmart/kmart/Bell "cheapie" if u only just tape up them "dragging" holes.)
Quote Reply