Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars
Quote | Reply
Is there a setup of aero drop bars that's compatible with a set of clip-on aerobars? Preferably non-CF, but I guess that's probably a tall order.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bontrager makes an "aero" aluminum road bar that could easily fit a set of clip ons for about $100. Can't remember the name, but if you search for it, it is right on their website.

Not sure how aero it is, but it is definitely a slimmer profile compared to a round bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Is there a setup of aero drop bars that's compatible with a set of clip-on aerobars? Preferably non-CF, but I guess that's probably a tall order.

Not a tall order. Try these:

http://www.bontrager.com/model/11292

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have this bar on my road bike. I don't know how aero it is when it comes to numbers, but I like the feel of it over a typical road bar. I especially like the flat part where I can rest my hands during long climbs. Internal cable routing is a nice touch.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone needs to come up with a very nice aero bar that can be used with any aero drop bars and with as little stack as possible.

I keep saying this.
Last edited by: BMANX: Oct 22, 14 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars [willembad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are great looking drop bars with integrated extensions and rests but I would not call them AERO drop bars.

I mean someone with a true aero bar needs to integrate or come up with a way of having a zero stack aero bar attachment. OK zero is impossible because of pads on the armrest but as low has possible.

CERVELO could have done this with their new bar but they missed out on a great opportunity which I know they disagree but they could have sold more bars if they had the possibility to mount extensions and you might not even need armrests. Either way I would have bought a pair if they were just a bit more forward thinking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any clip-ons that go below the handlebar? One could just rest on the flat portion of an aero road bar, effectively zero stack?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars [kkcy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These clip-ons go below the base bar but the pads have quite a stack height.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Those are great looking drop bars with integrated extensions and rests but I would not call them AERO drop bars.

I mean someone with a true aero bar needs to integrate or come up with a way of having a zero stack aero bar attachment. OK zero is impossible because of pads on the armrest but as low has possible.

CERVELO could have done this with their new bar but they missed out on a great opportunity which I know they disagree but they could have sold more bars if they had the possibility to mount extensions and you might not even need armrests. Either way I would have bought a pair if they were just a bit more forward thinking.

Given the differing shapes of the bars and the fact that many don't have wide enough clamping area, I think the Enve system is about as close as we're going to get.

http://enve.com/products/components/ses-aero-road-bar-barsesaerord/
http://enve.com/products/components/aero-rd-bar-clip-on-extensions-extaerordbar/
Last edited by: BeeSeeBee: Oct 22, 14 18:10
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars [BeeSeeBee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I want more integration and way less hardware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of FSA Pro Wing aluminum drop bars. The center section is wide enough for clipons.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, exactly what I'm looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars [BeeSeeBee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BeeSeeBee wrote:
BMANX wrote:

Given the differing shapes of the bars and the fact that many don't have wide enough clamping area, I think the Enve system is about as close as we're going to get.

http://enve.com/products/components/aero-rd-bar-clip-on-extensions-extaerordbar/

Have ENVE ever produced any claimed aero benefits for these?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
BeeSeeBee wrote:
BMANX wrote:

Have ENVE ever produced any claimed aero benefits for these?

They were designed by the SMART system, so one assumes some aero benefit, but I don't remember a lot of claims on their site. I have the ENVE clip ons and they are very nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Someone needs to come up with a very nice aero bar that can be used with any aero drop bars and with as little stack as possible.

I keep saying this.

They already have. The PD Lightning Stryke, it mounted on the stem (you needed a PD Hammer or Lava stem). Lovely things but they never caught on.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Drop Bars and Clip-on Aerobars [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some bar makers have it pretty close with their aero drop bars with extension (Haero and 3T) but I want to see a true aero drop bar that can be used with and without extensions.

what I want to see is integration not adaptation. Clip on are just an add on that is big, bulky and ugly. Like what you have shown above. I like PD's design but why do you have to add over a pound to your front end and have this monstrosity mounted to an otherwise beautiful bike.
Quote Reply