Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
AeroWeenie Aero Assistant
Quote | Reply
One of the most common questions I get asked, "How do I get faster on the bike?". Well making smart equipment choices is a start...........So thanks to aeroweenie.com and Jack Mott​'s ability to turn an idea into something real, checkout the Aero Equipment Assistant to help you go faster on the bike! A LOT of people on here this is probably not much use to personally, but rather than having to spend time when you get asked the question you can just point them to this. I mentioned this to Jack a week or so ago, and then boom, he created it.

http://www.aeroweenie.com/aero-assistant.html

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the basis for the calculation that an aero 'ring and crank are worth 7 and 11 seconds over 40K, respectively?

I've looked, and have had a hell of a time finding anything quantitative on rings and cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not buying that one
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You made me go double check, the only data point is from a german magazine, and nobody knows exactly the nature of the aero crank in question, so it is a bit of a wild guess there:

http://sheldonbrown.com/...ero/aerodynamics.htm

while checking I noticed the wild guess was a bit high though and have reverted it down a bit. If you notice anything us suspect let me know.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's why I learned:
  • Always spend $$ on tires first
  • Get a sleeved tri-suit that fits great - if I do another Ironman, I will probably do a full change into an actual skinsuit, may even be worth it for a 70.3
  • Don't bother buying a deeper wheel (zipp 303 is squarely in the "good enough" category)
  • I may have to ditch the Specialized Evade for a real aero helmet - but only if I'm willing to test at ERO or do it myself. I suspected I was giving up time when I switched from the Giro A2, but I have no idea how much.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe change the name slightly.... "AeroWeenie Wild Aero Guess".

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
Maybe change the name slightly.... "AeroWeenie Wild Aero Guess".

It's all there in the fine print.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9 for that vs 18 for summation of previously now changed points :)
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care what it says, I'm not buying CeramicSpeed BB or jockey wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

Well that is pretty much what the app says. Don't buy those...or at least buy them last.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello jackmott and All,

Nice!

Thanks for including skewers .... :)

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Jack, the guys at Torhans made this claim about their aero30 bottle. Does this sound reasonable to you?

In fact at a recent wind

tunnel test with Pro Triathlete Andrew Starykowicz the Aero 30reduced the total drag of his bicycle by 50

grams, or 5 watts of power. That was over using NO hydration system at all. The benefit of the Aero 30will

allow Andrew to ride ~1:50 faster in an Ironman, while staying hydrated in the aero position.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 12, 15 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one question: for tires, does the calculator take into account the crr only or combo of crr and cda?
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know two people who were physically present for that test, so I don't think the claim is a complete invention. I don't know if it was done with rider on the bike or not. With rider off, it might not be real, with rider on, 50g has a lot of +/- on it.

and I only get 1:13 per ironman florida time savings from 50g drag reduction, not 1:50

Also it was generally believed to be a particular interaction with the previous Orbea Ordu head tube that led to that particularly good result. It wouldn't necessarily work out the same on all bikes.

pattersonpaul wrote:

Jack, the guys at Torhans made this claim about their aero30 bottle. Does this sound reasonable to you?

In fact at a recent wind

tunnel test with Pro Triathlete Andrew Starykowicz the Aero 30reduced the total drag of his bicycle by 50

grams, or 5 watts of power. That was over using NO hydration system at all. The benefit of the Aero 30will

allow Andrew to ride ~1:50 faster in an Ironman, while staying hydrated in the aero position.

Last edited by: jackmott: Oct 12, 15 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [nickvas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickvas wrote:
one question: for tires, does the calculator take into account the crr only or combo of crr and cda?

Just the CRR. The point of this tool is just order of magnitude estimates. Bro science if you will.

There are too many unknowns with tire aero, and interactions with wheels bike and rider to codify them in any meaningful way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So "fancy drivetrain bearings" will save me 9sec/40k, or about 40 seconds over an IM? Really?
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed out on $750 3 weeks ago due to 41 seconds, so when seconds matter and you are doing everything else you can possibly do, well you start really looking at the little things.

IF you have a disposable income, why aren't you looking at every possible thing that can make you faster?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjabr wrote:
So "fancy drivetrain bearings" will save me 9sec/40k, or about 40 seconds over an IM? Really?

frictionfacts.com has some good data on this.
but yes, you can save a half watt here, half watt there, but getting top notch bearing setups in your BB, wheels, puleys, and pedals and save a couple watts overall potentially.

SRAM and Shimano 11 speed Ultegra and above all have pretty nice pulley bearings now though, so if you have that already there is not much more to be had from better pulleys.

10 speed ultegra had one crappy pulley that wasted about a half watt

if you are out of low hanging fruit go buy all the frictionfacts reports they are great.

Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Here's why I learned:
  • Always spend $$ on tires first

Yeah, I really need to go online and order 20mm Conti's to go on my H3's instead of the 23mm Michelins before Florida. I'd feel like a dunce missing a PR by a minute or two and not having done it just because I procrastinated.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Also it was generally believed to be a particular interaction with the previous Orbea Ordu head tube that led to that particularly good result. It wouldn't necessarily work out the same on all bikes.

I know Ero has said the Torhans 30 has a 50 gram reduction on a bunch of bike including the IA. A bayonet type front end is helpful since it makes it easier to get the torhans close to the head tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Grill wrote:

Well that is pretty much what the app says. Don't buy those...or at least buy them last.

They're the only thing left. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
IF you have a disposable income, why aren't you looking at every possible thing that can make you faster?

Because I don't like to enable people who sell worthless junk for high prices, regardless of whether it may have a slight chance of making me faster. If they're proven to be faster, that's a different story. But I'm not going to just throw money at every new thing. Like, for example, those drivetrain coatings you see sometimes (often at IM expos) that are hundreds of dollars? Total scam. My understanding is that ceramic crank bearings are pretty much a scam, but I'm less clear on whether nice wheel and pulley bearings are actually a scam or not.

But jack mentions below that there is some data on my latter point, especially when it comes to swapping older model, but still well maintained, equipment for the newer stuff, so I'll defer to him on that.
Quote Reply
Re: AeroWeenie Aero Assistant [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Grill wrote:

They're the only thing left. :(

Time to shave the beard!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next