Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advise for good biking/running areas in Independence-Lone Pine-Bishop-Mammoth?
Quote | Reply
Good morning ST'ers. I'm doing a last minute training trip up HWY 395 and debating on where to camp and bike/run in the Independence-Lone Pine-Bishop-Mammoth with the possibility of June. Any recommendations on great riding areas/loops that have a somewhat friendly and safe camp area? I'm a newbie camper looking for some altitude training for Ironman Tahoe with a super limited travel schedule.

I've read that a simple high altitude weekend won't make a difference but I won't have the luxury of heading up to Tahoe early enough to acclimate so this will be a test of how hard I can push on race weekend. Ironman Tahoe was my first full last year, I finished just under 13:10 and looking for a smoking time this year and a much better pre-post race experience.

Any advice, negative or positive is appreciated on this weekend's camping/training adventure. I was thinking of biking up to Whitney Portal?

Runner at heart, mountain biker by nature, competitive triathlete that's bitten by the racing bug
Quote Reply
Re: Advise for good biking/running areas in Independence-Lone Pine-Bishop-Mammoth? [thousandsteps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mammoth/June will be cooler than Bishop south.

Camping around Mammoth/June - tons of spots at 8000+. All safe and nice. Near Mammoth = restaurants etc....

Mammoth rides: Down to 395 - south to Benton crossing road (Green church) - out 10-25 miles and back = 50-70 miles. You can go down to Crowley and ride Crowley lake drive (15 miles out and back). You could add the climb out of Tom's place up to >10,000 feet (Mosquito flats). You could drop toward Bishop and climb old 395 back up.....you could really ride as long as you want and do some epic climbs.....

You could ride 395 to June and around June and back = 50 miles from Mammoth.

You could come and do the century in a couple weeks. You could do the century loop alone. You could then do the 12 mile all up Tioga pass run. You could swim June Lake Friday before and do the Graniteman challenge...(see June lake triathlon website).

You could do the Everest Challenge climbs out of independence/Bishop.

Runs - unlimited trails. Flat trails/dirt roads abound down in Bishop and south.

Not sure how long Whitmore pool is open - great 25 meter pool down by the Green Church on Benton Crossing Road.

Fun scenic easy ride out of mammoth is to take the new bike path up and around the lakes basin. Mammoth Scenic loop is a nice ride (short) - good way to get back from June to Mammoth,

Riding the 395 is fine and not bad at all to get back and forth to various other rides.
Quote Reply