Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Advice on solo double century
Quote | Reply
EDIT: RIDE HAS BEEN COMPLETED, RECAP ON PAGE 2

Hello all -

I am looking for advice regarding my first double century.

I am 32 years old with three young kids and a wife who is just barely putting up with my swim-bike-run. I am training very well for my first half triathlon in late May but I don't really have the time to string together multiple centuries / long rides to prepare for a double on the bike. I'll list out complete details below so you can tailor your advice accordingly.

Bike
2012 P2
3 bottles
Top tube stealth bag
Triangle frame bag
Rear saddle bag

Previous solo rides

2/18/17 - 56 miles - 3:12:51 - 17.5 mph - 1,978 feet - 150w
2 gels
1 banana
3 bottles of Gatorade

2/24/17 - 112 miles - 6:25:45 - 17.5 mph - 4,065 feet - 154w
5 gels
4 bananas
6 bottles of Gatorade

I felt really, really good during the 112. I feel like I could have done at least 150 with out problems if I kept eating properly. It was an out and back and I didn't budget any time to go further. The logitics of following turn directions from a note card worked well.

Route
I already finalized this route after a lot of planning. Loops just won't cut it for me. I need an adventure and something to chase. I planned this route on google street view. For saftey, 90% of the ride will have wide shoulders. I do not have any specific rest stops in mind, but there are plenty of gas stations ever 10-15 miles. I will begin near home and end at in-laws.

Time
I am planning on doing this April 7 dependent on wind conditions. There will be 13 hours of daylight and almost 14 if I include twilight. I plan on starting just before twilight with a couple bike lights and familiar roads.

Packing list

Wear

• Socks
  • Shoes
  • Coconut oil
  • Shorts
  • HRM
  • Sunscreen
  • Jersey
  • Chapstick
  • Helmet
  • Sun glasses

Bike

• 920xt
  • Bottles x 3
  • Bike light x 2

Stealth Pouch

• Multi-tool
  • Chapstick
  • Gels
  • Extra Garmin

Frame Pouch

• Sunscreen
  • Coconut Oil
  • Pump
  • Cable/lock
  • Baggy
  • License
  • Insurance
  • Money
  • Charging stick
  • Banana x 2
  • Directions

Seat Pouch

• Tubes x 2
  • Patch kit
  • Tire levers
  • Carbon paste
  • Contacts
  • Money

Jersey

• Baggy
  • Phone
  • Directions
  • Gel Flask

I already know that my body handles Gatorade, gels, and bananas very well. I was thinking of stopping half way and eating a solid real meal but supplementing the rest of the ride with the above three.

I would ideally like to do two centuries on back to back days before April but I really don't think family life will allow it.

I do not have a time goal other than I would like to finish before dark. Maybe 12:30:00 + 1.5 hours of stopping.

I will postpone the ride a week if there is an east or south wind.

Am I missing anything from my pack list? Could you offer any advice or lessons learned from this distance?

Thank you for your time.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Apr 9, 17 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your wife is going to cut your nuts off and feed them to you
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Your wife is going to cut your nuts off and feed them to you

+1

I am treading a fine line atm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ATM...ass to mouth? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way too much stuff dude, but I can understand overpacking if you've never done that distance before. Two bottles is plenty, just stop at gas stations every 50-60 miles to fill them up and grab food. For that duration you can eat whatever you like, but I'd keep it savoury as carbs will do you in at the 5-6hr point if you're not used to them. I'd also suggest picking up other savoury foods on your later stops to combat gut rot (don't think about it too much, just grab what you want).
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Way too much stuff dude, but I can understand overpacking if you've never done that distance before. Two bottles is plenty, just stop at gas stations every 50-60 miles to fill them up and grab food. For that duration you can eat whatever you like, but I'd keep it savoury as carbs will do you in at the 5-6hr point if you're not used to them. I'd also suggest picking up other savoury foods on your later stops to combat gut rot (don't think about it too much, just grab what you want).

What do you mean by savoury foods? You mean just anything that feels right at the time?

I'll try to keep it light. I was planning to have the sunscreen oil, paste etc just small amounts in a little baggy. Even the bike lock I got is a small luggage lock with a 2 foot long thin cable. Not anything super durable but enough to keep the bike safe for a couple minutes and prevent opportunistic theft. I'll see about dropping a bottle, I think it is more psychological that I would be scared that two wouldn't be enough but yeah I could stop a lot.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heh, still in English mode. By savoury I mean salty. When I do really long rides I find it's best to eat things like pasta, pizza, baked potato, burger, chicken, etc. to offset the amount of quick release sugars (an the sugary taste in general). Keep in mind this is very different than a race situation, so you won't want to treat it the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just too much stuff I think. Here what I would cut out, also don't eat any dairy or fried food during lunch to keep your gut right.

Leave: Carbon paste, third bottle, you only need two Garmins but just put your 920xt into ultra track mode, turn off GLONASS, and leave a charging stick at home too. Heck I would just take my 920xt fully charged, you don't need both unless the 920 has battery life issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the 920xt can be used while charging anyway, can it?

Personally I say there's no harm in bringing the 3rd bottle. I'd rather have it and not need it and be able to minimize the number of times I go into a store.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about having your wife and kids meet you half way into the ride (have them be part of the journey), unless that will add a boatload of driving time for them? You could then change out socks, shorts and jersey. Fresh shorts with a new does of chamois creme can be welcome relief if you suffer from crotchal discomfort.

As another poster said, after 5-6 hours, the body (my body anyways) craves real food and salty food. But I generally do better when there's no "meal" half way through, but rather constant grazing. I've used an AeroNet dangling off my aerobars and been able to chow down on goldfish crackers, chocolate chip cookies and fig newtons (I just want to stop eating bars and gels after 4-5 hours) at regular intervals. A Payday candy bar with a regular Coke works wonders when the energy tank is close to "E" and have helped me rebound for a final push over the last 50 miles.

For me, its the shoulders and neck that fatigue first, so I will ride no handed at least 1x, usually 2x per hour and roll the shoulders and massage the neck to give them some relief. Comfort is important when you're on the steed that long. You didn't indicate whether or not you have aerobars. Aerobars give me one more position for the arms and provide nice relief to the shoulders and neck.

Make sure you have the right socks and shoes combination dialed in so you don't get hot foot. Doesn't sound like that's been a problem, but be on the lookout for it on the 2nd day's ride if you are able to do back to back centuries as part of your preparations. Make sure your toenails are trimmed several days before the big ride.

If it rains, or forecast calls for rain, are you still going to do the ride? If so, perhaps some raingear??

For mechanical emergencies, research what bike shops are close to your route and have that information with you somewhere (don't rely completely on having web access on the phone at all times...it sucks when you need it and you don't have it).

Attach a large fiberglass pole to the bike with an giant orange flag at the top so cars can see you. Wait, forget about that...it's not 1980!

Have fun and enjoy the journey of the day!

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input everyone.

bryce_d wrote:
I don't think the 920xt can be used while charging anyway, can it?

It cannot. I was thinking the old Garmin as backup if the 920xt died, but I will experiment with the settings that Ironcode pointed out. The charging stick I was thinking for my phone in case something goes wrong with directions and I need to rely on google maps that might suck my phone dead. It would probably be fine though if I just charge he phone fully.

TMT wrote:

Thanks for all of the advice, Tad. That is some good stuff. I will definitely try to see what bike shops are in route. My wife will be passing by on an interstate roughly 20 miles north of me when I am almost halfway. She has no interest in meeting though. She wants to get there asap with the kids and baby in the van. It would add too much time but it was a good thought.

It took a lot of convincing to get her blessing for this ride. I've been going above and beyond at home lately and it is helping.

If it is calling for rain I think I will postpone a week or leave a day early or late if possible. We have no set schedule other than we want to visit her parents in early to mid-april. Their schedule is pretty open so they know we are shooting for the 7th right now but might adjust.

edit: Yes I use aerobars. I used them probably 85% of the 112. My back and neck definitely felt it. I tried to stretch well at every stop but I will try to learn to stretch on the bike better. Chapstick was my wife's idea. I didn't know but when I got home from my ride my lips were bleeding everywhere.

Last edited by: bluestacks867: Mar 3, 17 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keeping your phone in airplane mode or just turning it off when you don't need it will really extend your battery life. If you can get by without needing the screen on constantly for navigation, that helps a lot as well.

I did a 6 hour gravel ride a while ago using my phone running Strava (for tracking, not navigation). Since it was in my frame bag and I never pulled it out, the screen was never on, and I used about 15% battery life (iPhone 6s+). I would charge fully, plan on your Garmin being able to route you, and turn your phone off.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop overthinking this. It's not Lewis & Clark's expedition. It's not even Gilligan's Isle. The main thing you need is a relaxed mind & the knowledge that, at some point, you're going to realize there are X miles to go & totally crack mentally. Know it's coming, put your head down & pedal, and you'll be fine. Planning on rescheduling if there's a headwind is not the sort of enjoy-the-unexpected mindset I would want.

True story. On Memorial Day weekend of my 40th birthday, I took my two-year-old boy for a huge pancake breakfast. As we packed the car to leave a weekend getaway at around 10:30 am, I said to my wife "maybe I'll ride home after all." I took my phone, two Clif bars, two tubes and an ATM card. It turned out to be 170 miles. I kept my power at under 75% of threshold until my Garmin died and then plugged away by feel. It was super fun. Not sure which way the wind was blowing.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [HLS2k6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HLS2k6 wrote:
Stop overthinking this. It's not Lewis & Clark's expedition.

I am just trying to make sure I do not need to call my wife 80 miles away to come pick me up and receive the ensuing divorce papers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, the 920 cannot be charged while in use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to live in Elkton MD. That second half is gonna be pancake flat to you. Wind is gonna be a major factor on your arrival time. I would ask the wife for the full day esp so you don't over tax yourself. Don't wanna get picked up by her late in the afternoon. I almost had that happen on a 80 drop ride in Utah where there had been a south wind for the past two months and all of a sudden got a hard north wind. Had to hammer to get in by dark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing you may want to add: single 'serving' chamois cream packets. The brand 'chamois butt'r' makes them, they come in a package the size of a gel. I usually bring 2 for a 130mi ride I do a few times a year and they are a life saver. Do not confuse them for a gel however...I'm sure they don't taste good:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 small kids including a baby... your wife has to dress, feed, and wrangle them all for a 200 mile solo car trip -- and you're wondering what YOU need to bring? And when you all arrive at the destination, you'll be too tired to spell her off and give her a break. That sucks.

You mentioned you're training for a half in May -- why is the double century ride so important to you? You don't need it for your half iron training. If it's just something separate that you want to do as another challenge, my advice is to prioritize one athletic pursuit at a time and preserve your relationship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
HLS2k6 wrote:

I am just trying to make sure I do not need to call my wife 80 miles away to come pick me up and receive the ensuing divorce papers.

Do you guys have Uber where you live? I've started doing that instead of calling my wife - much happier for everyone

I used to do 120 miles every weekend - just 2 bottles and a bit of food just in case. Rest I get at gas stations along the way

I've done 170+ a few times with the exact same setup, just a couple extra emergency foods in case I need something before a stop

Enjoy the long rides. They are a blast. Don't overthink it
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
bluestacks867 wrote:
HLS2k6 wrote:

Do you guys have Uber where you live? I've started doing that instead of calling my wife - much happier for everyone

I used to do 120 miles every weekend - just 2 bottles and a bit of food just in case. Rest I get at gas stations along the way

I've done 170+ a few times with the exact same setup, just a couple extra emergency foods in case I need something before a stop

Enjoy the long rides. They are a blast. Don't overthink it
Uber will take your bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Grill wrote:

What do you mean by savoury foods? You mean just anything that feels right at the time?

I'll try to keep it light. I was planning to have the sunscreen oil, paste etc just small amounts in a little baggy. Even the bike lock I got is a small luggage lock with a 2 foot long thin cable. Not anything super durable but enough to keep the bike safe for a couple minutes and prevent opportunistic theft. I'll see about dropping a bottle, I think it is more psychological that I would be scared that two wouldn't be enough but yeah I could stop a lot.

Thanks for the advice.

Can you provide details on your lock? I often ride solo and am not exactly super comfortable leaving a $3000 bike just propped outside a gas station even for a few minutes without it being locked
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
3 small kids including a baby... your wife has to dress, feed, and wrangle them all for a 200 mile solo car trip -- and you're wondering what YOU need to bring? And when you all arrive at the destination, you'll be too tired to spell her off and give her a break. That sucks.

You mentioned you're training for a half in May -- why is the double century ride so important to you? You don't need it for your half iron training. If it's just something separate that you want to do as another challenge, my advice is to prioritize one athletic pursuit at a time and preserve your relationship.

I will be packing the van the day before, just like every trip. She dresses and feeds the kids every morning while I am at work. She agreed to the solo trip. Yes, I am wondering what I need to bring as this will be a very difficult endeavor given my abilities (or lack of abilities). We are staying with family who will help out the arrival day, and I do not plan on being a lazy bum the entire weekend. Correct, a double c has nothing to do with 70.3 training. Yes, it is a separate challenge that I am planning on doing. Maybe we could start an offline conversation and I can consult you when it is a good time for me to ride my bicycle.

TriTamp wrote:
Can you provide details on your lock? I often ride solo and am not exactly super comfortable leaving a $3000 bike just propped outside a gas station even for a few minutes without it being locked

Here is the lock and cable I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Y8DQ
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AW7P5NI

They are not super durable by any means, but enough to prevent an opportunist. I still keep the bike near the entry way and in view from inside. If it is not a super small station I just bring the bike inside with me through the isles.

I think the lock is only a 2/10 on Master's rating scale and the cable 3/10. My bike is not near as expensive as yours, I just look at it as better than nothing. The lock and cable fit under my seat with a tube.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't done the double century in one day, but did back to back ~75 mile rides on unfamiliar roads in upstate NY before.

* Plot out all the bike stores along the route in advance - I had terrible luck with flats (especially on the way up) and burned through 3 tubes about half way into day 1 (the amount of crap on the road was way higher than I expected). Luckily my last flat was within a few miles of the only bike store in 25 miles, so I patched the tube and then seriously reupped on spares.
* Fresh & durable tires! I'm a huge fan of the GP 4000IIs for everything these days. Nothing turns the distance from fun to a slog like changing tubes every 10 miles.
* Keep the pump but consider also throwing in CO2s - saving the effort of using a tiny hand pump late in the day can be huge mentally
* If you're not rolling on standard depth rims, consider swapping out for them (or bring valve extenders and a tool) - most bike stores will have the longer valve stem ones but they're pricier and aren't always in stock
* You may want to bring more clothing options since you're going to be riding all day (arm warmers, light rain/wind shell) - April weather seems like it still could be fairly variable throughout the day
* If you can, borrow someone's Garmin edge and load your route into it rather than bringing two Garmin's without route navigating capabilities (and practice using it before)
* If you like them/can handle them, PB&J sandwiches can be a nice thing to throw into the mix (and if necessary all the ingredients are normally sold at gas stations)
* Put your post ride recovery stuff (drinks, foam roller, etc.) in the van, since you otherwise won't have access to it (most likely) where you end up

Have fun - it's going to be a long day, but remember to look up and enjoy the ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a thought. Do you own a road bike?

I know for me riding an aggressive TT position staring at the white line for 10+ hours would kinda suck. Real bad.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on solo double century [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips, Andrew.

Unfortunately no road bike, cmscat50. I just have a cheap Motobecane cyclocross bike that I was never properly fit to. My last ride on the P2 went well, I tried to stay aero in the open windy areas and pick my moments to sit up straight hands on the pads and relax my back and neck. I will probably need to pick those moments more often now that I am increasing the time on the bike so much.

Quote Reply

Prev Next