Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice on serious foot blisters prior to 70.3 race
Quote | Reply
I have 70.3 Austin coming up in 9 days and have serious foot blisters that make it hard to even walk. I competed in a Olympic distance triathlon 5 days ago and developed 2 large 4-5 cm blisters to the medial aspect of each foot from not wearing socks during the run. I have stopped all running until they heal. Any other treatment/suggestions to protect these during my upcoming 70.3 race? In current form, there is no way I could race today. I'm hoping for some significant healing in 9 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on serious foot blisters prior to 70.3 race [control4reak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try moleskin. I made one out 2-4mm thick foam make it 2mm wider than your blister and cut a hole in the middle (like a donut) and tape over to keep the moleskin from moving. If you have not already you should make a pin hole incision to relieve the fluid.

good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on serious foot blisters prior to 70.3 race [control4reak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pop them, dress them, and get on with your life! You can be running again tomorrow, or the next day at the latest, but only if you open them up and do some work on them. They simply take too long to heal if left to their own devices.

I'm no pro, but my standard practice is:
Pop with sterilized needle or nail clippers
Drain fully
Trim back as close as possible to edge of blister
Douse liberally with neosporin or similar
Cover to keep moist

There's probably far better advice available from the ultra peeps as their races depend upon instant blister control.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above, you've got to pop them.

My standard procedure is:

1. Stab them to drain the fluid; may require several goes over 24 hours if they're fresh and keep filling up with fluid again.
2. Leave the skin intact and over a couple of days it should harden up and you'll be able to run pain-free again.
3. After a week or two (depending on how bad they are) the new layer of skin underneath will be less raw and you can cut back the hard dead skin, although you'll probably want to leave it intact for the race for a bit of added protection.
4. MTFU.

You've got to do something about it though, if you just leave a big swollen blister it'll take forever to heal. 9 days is more than enough time.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on serious foot blisters prior to 70.3 race [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the two posters above. Pop them and keep them very clean.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with most but would add liquid bandaid. It will help heal and protect. Burns like crazy when applied to a blister, but worth it. I assume you will, but wear socks for the 70.3.
Quote Reply