Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice on managing heart rate while racing
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to tap the *huge* collective knowledge of Slowtwitch for some training and/or race execution advice:

I just finished my 3rd half iron distance race and have done many other Olympic and Sprint distance triathlons. Every time I race, I can't seem to keep my heart rate in check for the run, despite being able to run much faster when doing stand-alone runs with a much lower heart rate. I'm fueling right (I think) in terms of calories per hour and drinking plenty of electrolytes, and I have done consistent brick training this year in hopes of improving my run transitions (although my heart rate doesn't do well during brick training either). To be clear, my legs aren't tired and they have no problem turning over when I get off the bike. I just can't maintain my run at such a high heart rate (zone 5).

In analyzing my latest 70.3 data, my bike started in zone 5 and basically stayed there for the entire 2.5 hours. I'm wondering if perhaps I should start the bike a bit slower to allow my heart rate to come down from the swim - thoughts on this?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to approach my training and racing execution from here. First I reigned in my fueling, and then ramped up my brick training. But I still struggle on the run.

Any help would be great :)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on managing heart rate while racing [jordytown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bad run off the bike = bike too hard

slow down the bike until you have successful runs.

and dont be a slave of HR numbers... it s not the best metric to start with. use it in combination with Pace/RPE and Power if you have it. this will give you better understanding on how to execute races properly.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jordytown wrote:
In analyzing my latest 70.3 data, my bike started in zone 5 and basically stayed there for the entire 2.5 hours.

Did you use babypowder before putting on you speedsuit?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on managing heart rate while racing [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use power to pace my bike and usually aim for around 80% intensity for a half-iron distance, which I thought wasn't unreasonable, especially since I train to hold that power. But you're suggesting that 80% is likely too much?

As for heart rate, you're right that it's not a perfect metric. If I could have a good solid run in zone 5, I would have. But alas, my body wouldn't let me maintain that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80% of FTP (if set properly) is a relatively elite level of riding for age group at least.

that s also the kind of % you see from pro womens in races.

as i said, until you ran successfully off the bike in many races, i would target a lower power and as your running get more consistent, you can start riding a little harder.

if i look at my men age group riding in the 80% range...they are posting 1:22-28 kind of run time. once i see running time of 1:32-35....i more likely see power in the 77% range. just to give you a idea.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd read a few articles to give me an idea of what to aim for as a power range, and came up with 75-85%. So I went with the middle @ 80%. I'll take your advice and pull back a bit. It's easier said than done when full of steam and ready to hammer it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like jonnyo said, slow down on the bike.

He knows what he's talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to work out what is faster you will need to pull back on the bike because most of your time is made and lost on the run. I don't think to stick to power is the best indication unless you have many races already that you know your window not just purely based off FTP. I have a power and or heart rate I don't like to exceed and even perceived effort on the day may outweigh holding back on both those to know my run won't fall apart on a bad day. Until you hold back and have a descent race to set the bench mark you have nothing to base from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you need to slow down a bit when swimming too. Even during an Oly, I never start higher than 10 bpm below the threshold.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Jonny here, slow down on the bike. What I do wonder is how did you set your HR zones? Holding zone 5 for 2.5 hrs seems like a huge task to begin with, then run 13.1. With the run, that would be zone 5 for 5 hours. That's a lot. I may reevaluate your zone figuring, or throw the HR strap away and race with power and pace. It might be a little scary at first, but it simplifies so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on managing heart rate while racing [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I calculate my heart rate zones based on regular lactate threshold testing, from Joe Friel's training bible. The zones are great for training, but I try not to be too fussed with them when racing. I'm only focusing on them now from my last race to try to find answers to my running issues during a tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Than just stick with Jonny's advice...you're biking too hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd even go back and look at what's going on in the swim. Why is he Zone 5 right off the back on the run? Has he trashed himself in the swim? Felt like he had to make up time and then hammered the bike?

Long course racing is about energy conservation and management. Panicked/thrashed/poor swim = stress on the bike to make up time = poor run = slowing down.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll show a little data from what I learned my last race. Leading into the race I had no problem holding 85% on the bike for up to 50 miles and kept my HR at the top of Z2.

In the race, the water was very choppy and screwed up my plan to take it easy on the swim. I worked way to hard on the swim. Getting on the bike my HR was sky high (my max is 192). This freaked me the F out. I made a decision to keep my power down for a bit to let my HR come down. I was pushing about 230w instead of 250w, which works out to 79%. It took 20 miles for my HR to drop to the HR I normally had for 250w. For a variety of reasons I ended up just staying at 230w the rest of the ride and I think it was the right power for me that day.

I think my issue was the swim, exerting too much effort. That may be your problem as well. Not necessarily biking too hard. For reference I ran 5 miles at what felt fairly easy at 6:25/mile after the 50 mile training ride, yet only managed 7:03/mile in the race after biking 20w lower.

Data

Training Ride

Race

Quote Reply