Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice needed on bike fit
Quote | Reply
I got professionally fit a couple months ago and saw some immediate improvements in performance and comfort, but at the same time started to develop some slight discomfort on the outside of my left knee and up through my hip when riding in the aero position. Over time the slight discomfort has developed into a definate pain and prohibits me from riding aero for any length of time. I am thinking it is an ITB problem since it is the outside of the knee and up through the hip. In the meantime I've had a bit of a falling out with the person who fit me, and I am racing this weekend. I'd like to make some adjustments myself to my position to try and find something where I can ride without pain, but am not sure where to start. Should I be looking toward my cleat, my saddle height, saddle position fore/aft, aerobars? Any advice or thoughts would be a great help. I know that I really need to go and see someone but I am leaving tomorrow for my race, so I don't really have time. I'm going to have to get through this one and go to a new fitter when I get back. Thanks for your help.

Mark

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Advice needed on bike fit [Mark in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that you'll get more detailed answers than I'll provide, but I would check two things: seat height and cleat position. I had a similar problem in late 2001. My seat was too low. What type of pedals do you ride? There is a chance that your cleats could be better aligned. Without seeing any pictures or having any measurements, it's difficult to say.

Either way, a day before the race fix probably won't 'fix' anything, it's more likely to lead to more problems.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would look at cleat position first. Do your toes naturally point outwards? If so, be sure your cleats are set up so they do when pedaling as well. Internal rotation could be putting excess strain on the lateral portion of the knee.

Seat too high, or aft could also be causing excessive rotation, or strain as you "reach" for the bottom of the pedal stroke. Have someone watch to make sure your hips don't rock when you're pedaling.

If it's only one side it could be a leg length discrepancy. Shims on the short side would correct.

You may also consider cycling orthotics if there's excessive rotation of the lower leg during the pedal stroke.

Use common sense as you consider these.

Good luck in your race.

scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

what sort of peddle system are you using? Is there float in your cleats? red look pedals 'float,' black look pedals do not...without seeing your position it's tough to diagnose but you might be too high or the seat may be too far back...

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: Advice needed on bike fit [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replys all. I wish I had a picture for you, but I don't have a digital camera. To answer the other predominate question though, I ride on speedplay X3 pedals, which apparantly have a great deal of float. I didn't get to put the bike on the trainer last night, but after taking my bike in for the "pre-race" tune-up, the mechanic discovered that there was a problem with my left pedal. Apparantly it wasn't spinning as it was supposed to, which I think was creating the slight hitch I felt in my pedal stroke. I'm going to go for a short ride later to see if fixing the pedal has helped any, so we'll see... Thanks again for your help and advice.

Mark

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply