Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much can I accomplish in 3 weeks?
Quote | Reply
So as I started to ramp up my training for IMMT, I pulled a muscle in my back and had to stop training for 5 weeks. There was no training for most of June. So my issue I'm trying to resolve is can I still do IMMT. My back is feeling good enough that I can train again, although I do need to be careful to a degree. I can't transfer to a different race because it's too close to IMMT to do a race transfer for the $50 fee. I did do Racine 70.3 this past Sunday and it took me 6:23...if I hadn't been injured, I'm probably doing that race in the 5:30's...to give some perspective. So right now I don't feel very confident I can bridge the gap between a half and a full in three weeks of training. I think I could do a pretty descent 70.3, but not a full. What I'm asking fellow ST'ers is do you think I can bridge the gap safely and complete IMMT? I realize there's no PR for me this year, but I paid the fee, have the hotel room, still have a pretty good attitude...so has anyone gone through something similar? I think that I can get in 540 miles on my bike, 75 miles on the run and 17,000 meters swimming over the next three weeks with weather permitting. These are based on work hours and some rest between workouts. I don't want to do a 16 hour sufferfest, does sub 13 hours sound reasonable???

Last edited by: Horsepower: Jul 22, 14 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: Advice from experience needed on injury [Horsepower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who cares what your time is. Just go, have fun. No pressure. Enjoy talking with folks.

I know on my first IM the second half of the marathon I walked it since I had bonked. Was great talking to folks and it was no sufferfest,

So just twitch the outlook, enough the party, and be happy you made it to the starting line. So many folks injured would love to trade places with you.

Have fun.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Advice from experience needed on injury [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize there is still the whole element of being lucky enough to start the race, but I've done 3 IM races and by far the best ones were the ones in which I was able to do well trained...I'm not sure that it will be that much fun to just get through it when it's my forth one. My real quest here is to get some feed back about how much fitness can I achieve in 3 weeks?

Quote | Reply
Do it. I'll be there suffering with you - my training hasn't gone that well this year either.

If you do enough IMs, there are going to be ones you don't do as well as usual in. Just consider it more experience in the bank for the next one.
Quote Reply
Re: How much can I accomplish in 3 weeks? [Horsepower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do it. I am in the same boat....broke 4 ribs on June 19 crash whilst trying to avoid a 60 pound English Bulldog. My focus for IMMT is to get as many key sessions in as possible between now and then. 2 more 100+ mile rides, 2 runs of ~3 hours (one of them tomorrow), and a "metric ironman" about 15 days out. Biggest difference this time around is that the "taper" will be 4-5 days instead of 2-3 weeks. Enjoy the day and best wishes to you...its all for fun, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice from experience needed on injury [esmith06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I'm talking it over with my wife and I think I'm just going to put my head down for the next 2 weeks and see where I'm at with my training. I struggled with my last one due to lack of training and this was my big come back after a 3 year exit...but hey, at least if I can gut it out I'll be a 4 time Ironman...right?

Quote | Reply
The first time I time I did Ironman it was awesome! I always describe it as intoxicating...the next two times I spent chasing that same feeling again and came up short. I was hoping to hit this race in tip top shape, but maybe the change of venue(all three of my previous races were at Madison WI) and the support of a newly accomplished 70.3 wife will get me back to that intoxication, or something just as good. Mont-Tremblant looks like an intoxicating place, race venue or no race venue.

Quote | Reply
Horsepower wrote:
Ya, I'm talking it over with my wife and I think I'm just going to put my head down for the next 2 weeks and see where I'm at with my training. I struggled with my last one due to lack of training and this was my big come back after a 3 year exit...but hey, at least if I can gut it out I'll be a 4 time Ironman...right?

H.P. just do what you can do, head down and at it is great, but don't f' yourself up by overtraining at this stage and don't do anything that'll aggravate the back injury again.
Quote Reply
Re: How much can I accomplish in 3 weeks? [Horsepower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it ill make you feel any better I'm planning on setting up a beer aid station on the run. If the day turns long there's always beer to keep you company.
Quote Reply
Re: How much can I accomplish in 3 weeks? [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Things are looking better all the time :-)