Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Advice for the run on my first full
Quote | Reply
IMWI is coming and pre-race jitters are in full force. My big worry is the run. I'm planning to 'go easy' on the swim and bike but still worry about having enough for the run. Background: AG Nats last year, 5:51 HIM, open marathons ranging from 3:15:03 to 3:51.

Looking for words of wisdom or nutrition to watch for or things to not F up. I know the training is done; just want to get my head around it.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for the run on my first full [manofbread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What race was your 5:51 HIM at and what were the bike/run splits? From there, I'm curious what your idea of going easy is. Do you think you could run a 3:15 open marathon right now? Did you have any cramping or nutrition issues on your last HIM? Have you had any issues with nutrition on your longest ride?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a "full"? :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's a pretty wide range of open marathon times... do you think you're in 3:15 shape or 3:51 shape? Figuring that out would be a good starting point. If you're in 3:15 shape, and you start the run in good shape (ie not overbiking, over-swimming) then you could run a sub-4hr split pretty easily - 3:45 would be a good result. If you're in 3:51 shape, well, you know where I'm headed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you are on the bike, if you feel like you are just out for a leisurely ride, then slow down some more.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done two Ironmans and I did the second 45 minutes faster than the first. The differences in order of importance were:

1. Fitness on the bike
2. Proper pacing on the bike
3. Proper nutrition on the bike and on the run
4. Proper pacing on the run

If your bike fitness is poor then you will have to be VERY conservative on the bike or your run will be a death march. You are too late for changing much in this area but know that in my mind this is the most important factor for a good IM run.

You also can't go crazy on the bike during your race. You need to find that sweet spot at a low Zone 3 (maybe high Zone 2) FTP or HR where you can diligently maintain through the entire race. This takes a ton of discipline but it pays dividends.

You must fuel properly on the bike and you must maintain electrolytes and hydration throughout the run. If it's hot you must stay hydrated and use ice at the aid stations to stay cool. This is a must if you have a hot day. If you don't cool your body down you are dead. I also found that, at least for me, Coke is magic. I took Coke every other aid station and it helped a ton.

Finally, after you transition out of the bike TAKE IT EASY. Walk for a bit if you have to, then jog, then settle into your race pace. Also, if you have to walk the hills, walk the hills. Do not take risks your your pace and effort early in the run, this is dangerous for your second half. Be conservative on the first half and then if you feel you have it in you push the pace.

I think if you take the above into considerations and if you have put in proper "big days" in your training you should do fine in your IM run. Good luck.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for the run on my first full [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HIM was at Austin where I got cooked and ended up taking two bags of IV. I don't do very well in hot conditions; I was like 2:06 on that run and felt abysmal. No cramping issues and I stayed hydrated, but I'm just susceptible to heat exhaustion.

First open marathon was 3:15:03 during a fall marathon; missed BQ by those 3 seconds. My next two marathons were in the spring where I trained in the cold and got punched with hot conditions (3:51 where I walked the last 8 miles due to cramps in both calves and 3:2x this spring where it was again hot but I held pace until 21, took IV at the end of that one). I think I'll stick with late Fall marathons from here on out.

I am probably in 3:30-ish shape right now. I haven't been doing much pace or speed work on the run, just bulk miles.

I knew coming in bike training would be key and have been working on long rides and big hills in preparation for WI. It has been unseasonably cool this summer so I haven't gotten quite the heat-training I would perhaps have liked.

I've been ironing out my nutrition to get my calories sorted out, as well as electrolytes. I'll have a Thai Peanut sweet potato, chicken, and pasta dish for dinner Friday and Saturday. Granola and yogurt has been working out well for me as breakfast. Banana in T1. On the bike starting with bagel w PB, wheat germ and honey, triscuits with PB, Bonk Breaker, Pretzels, Stinger waffles, tapering down to gels in that hour or so before coming off the bike, so hopefully things will be digested. Hydrating with two bottles: one that starts with water then goes over to no-calorie electrolyte (GU Brew) for the rest of the ride, with the reserve bottle holding a mid-calorie electrolyte (like ~50 calories total). Then mostly gels (or whatever I can handle) on the run. Salt stick maybe every 1-1.5 hours, depending on conditions. I'm hoping to walk the aid stations and run in between them.

I'm just hoping I've got it all worked out so that my personal shit show doesn't happen until mile 20+ rather than mile 6.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for the run on my first full [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Good luck.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO, you cannot really prepare for an IM marathon like you can for the swim and bike, how many times do you go on a long run after swimming 4200 yards and biking 112? You make a plan and do you best to execute the plan. For you first race, have no expectations, just anticipate an incredible experience.

I have completed 3 IM's and haven't figured our the run yet; always a lot slower than I thought it would be. Your a good runner, take what the days give you and go make it a memorable day - just keep moving forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Simplify your bike nutrition plan. All the fat, protein and fiber will just cause problems on your run. Read pro nutrition plans on 1st Endurance website and do like they do.
2. Contain yourself on the bike hills and in the first few miles of the run.
3. Do not walk through aid stations. It will get harder and harder to start running again and then you have a 5hr marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for the run on my first full [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MVM wrote:
1. Simplify your bike nutrition plan.
I agree with this 100%

3. Do not walk through aid stations. It will get harder and harder to start running again and then you have a 5hr marathon.

I do not agree with this. Like the run/walk methods, this little bit of relief for your legs could be the difference between a 5 hour marathon and a 6 hour marathon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MVM wrote:
Read pro nutrition plans on 1st Endurance website and do like they do.

So ... use a lot of products on race day that I've never tried in training?

I can see the validity of simplifying the nutrition equation and would like to know more, but shoving a bunch of untried brand names in my face seems risky. Background: going solely on gels and chews was making my stomach feel gross so I'm trying to dial it back on that stuff, eating more real food earlier in the bike with a bias toward salty stuff that you actually chew. Going "easy" will probably translate into a 7 bike leg. I've done hilly centuries under 5, but they're two different things.

I should also clarify: not a full bagel but rather a 110 calorie bagel "thin" with about a 1 Tbs of PB. Also, 6'1" and 183lbs, if that helps anything. And before anyone shouts "Fatass!" that's down from 240.

Thanks for the input, sincerely. Just trying to get it all sorted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_n_Load's advice is dead on.

Mostly good advice from the others, too. I agree to get rid of wheat germ, becuase fiber on race day is not your friend, but I don't think you need to change your bike food otherwise. If you've been doing it, and it works, keep doing it. Variety in the IM is important; otherwise you get sick of eating the same stuff the whole day. I like your "real" food like a bagel and PB for the bike. A little healthy fat can stabilize your blood sugar. You'll have 3-4 hours to eat gels on the run, and you'll hate them by then, so it's good to wait until the end of the bike before hitting the first gel.

I would not drink water on the bike, except to wash down food or gel, but your salt tablet plan probably makes that okay. I use only electrolyte drinks, and I prefer them to be the mid-calorie type like Osmo or Skratch or Gatorade endurance. I figure I'll take in every calorie I can, and no sense filling up on something without fuel. But if you can't practice with these a few times, don't try them in the race.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go easy on the bike.
Don't over eat on the bike.
Start easy on the marathon, but don't slow down. Once you start walking, that's it...
Enjoy every single clap, cheer, yell, etc. that folks give you.
Don't think of it as "work," this is FUN and you paid a lot of money to do it. GOOD LUCK!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll get some specific advice and best wishes from others so I won't repeat... :)

But perhaps most of all IME..
RACE SMART... ie race with your head, to the levels you understand to be appropriate for you based on your training to date.
Be realistic with yourself and race your own race... listen to your body and respond to what its telling you calmly.. importantly be flexible in your mindset.. something will come up during the day and you will need to think your way out of it.. accept that and be positive about whatever does come up.. a flat is a chance to recover briefly while you change a tube (and a good opportunity to stretch)... a tightening muscle in the run is a prompt to stop briefly and stretch out everywhere and to do so every x kms there after and to refocus on your form....etc..

If you have done the training, you fuel intelligently with what you know works for you, you'll have a "successful" day.. be confident, and most likely you'll exceed your expectations.. and finally keep some perspective.. you aint saving lives out there.. its just a swim a bike ride and a jog.. enjoy it.. your race time is only one metric to gauge success there are many arguably more important ones...

Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't suggest you follow those nutrition plans exactly but they are great for reference. You wont see a lot of peanut butter or triscuits being consumed by guys and gals who plan to run fast off the bike. I think a little gross stomach feel is worth not having to walk the marathon.

You will see recommendations of 30-70g carbohydrate per hour on the bike. I had luck with around 70 in a couple IMs and I'm about your size. Rule of thumb #2 is exceeding 14g of carbohydrate per 8oz of fluid slows slow gastric emptying which is bad. I was around 19g/oz. I think it is a good idea to check these two metrics for your plan and adjust if you are far off of the guidelines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried going liquid only? As in only, gatorade (or Perform if you are doing an IM brand race)?

I ask because my first 2 IMs, I tried the "fancy" stuff i.e. EFS, Hammer Nutrition, etc. and performed poorly. For my 3rd IM, which went extremely well on race day, I used only the Powerbar Perform they were serving on the bike course and then switched to water/gels from the aid stations on run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in a 3:30h marathon shape and if you've done your bike miles, I think you shouldn't worry too much. As others have mentioned before, go easy on the ride and on the first half of the marathon. Don't overeat on the bike and take a drink at every aid station on the run.

And please, don't change your nutrition to something you haven't tested before!

Good luck in any case!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved IMWI. The run is fantastic - tons of spectators.

Bike within yourself. The "big hills" aren't nearly as bad as I expected, but there were a ton of little hills that keep you guessing. If you haven't ridden it before, at least drive the course before the race. Lots of fans on bike course too, just don't blow up trying to show off for them. The nutritional key for me was options. I had a lot of problems leading up to the race, so I didn't know what I'd need on race day. Many would say I overprepared, and I'd generally agree... except that it worked for me.

On the run, start slower than you want, and stay within yourself. Don't push too hard trying to aim for a certain number (pace, HR, etc.). Watch out for Observatory Hill - lots of cramps on that hill from people trying to maintain pace. And I saw another person trip/fall on the steep downhill, trying to make up time lost climbing it.

Enjoy the race - it's a great course and a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for the run on my first full [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the advice and good vibes. I will try to walk that line between eating too much and not enough. And I'll take a look at my grams of carbs to ounces of fluid.

I've always had trouble drinking my calories; my stomach must bricks up after a couple of hours.

And thanks especially for the reminders to enjoy the moment. I need that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MVM wrote:
1. Simplify your bike nutrition plan. All the fat, protein and fiber will just cause problems on your run. Read pro nutrition plans on 1st Endurance website and do like they do.
2. Contain yourself on the bike hills and in the first few miles of the run.

I don't see a problem with walking the aidstations. I know it's an obvious N=1, but in my first (and only sofar) full-distance triathlon, I made the decision to take 1 minute walk breaks on timed intervals after 20km. From that moment on I started passing people who kept on running, but started to slow down because of it. But as with everything, try it out before raceday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar open mary stats headed into IM.

What I learned between my first and second IM is NEVER walk between aid stations. Sounds simple.

Basically get off the bike and settle into a comfortable run pace. Hit the first aid state and walk the aid station to get full nutrition. Evaluate yourself. Can you run another mile? If the answer is yes, run to the next aid station -- no walking. Repeat.

I produced a 3:50 at Placid with this strategy which made me faster on the run than 92% that day.

Once you start walking between aid stations you are pretty much done.

Now if you were a 3hr or faster open marathoner my strategy would be too slow.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
I have done two Ironmans and I did the second 45 minutes faster than the first. The differences in order of importance were:

1. Fitness on the bike
2. Proper pacing on the bike
3. Proper nutrition on the bike and on the run
4. Proper pacing on the run

If your bike fitness is poor then you will have to be VERY conservative on the bike or your run will be a death march. You are too late for changing much in this area but know that in my mind this is the most important factor for a good IM run.

You also can't go crazy on the bike during your race. You need to find that sweet spot at a low Zone 3 (maybe high Zone 2) FTP or HR where you can diligently maintain through the entire race. This takes a ton of discipline but it pays dividends.

You must fuel properly on the bike and you must maintain electrolytes and hydration throughout the run. If it's hot you must stay hydrated and use ice at the aid stations to stay cool. This is a must if you have a hot day. If you don't cool your body down you are dead. I also found that, at least for me, Coke is magic. I took Coke every other aid station and it helped a ton.

Finally, after you transition out of the bike TAKE IT EASY. Walk for a bit if you have to, then jog, then settle into your race pace. Also, if you have to walk the hills, walk the hills. Do not take risks your your pace and effort early in the run, this is dangerous for your second half. Be conservative on the first half and then if you feel you have it in you push the pace.

I think if you take the above into considerations and if you have put in proper "big days" in your training you should do fine in your IM run. Good luck.

^^^^^^^
This, this, this!!! My n=2 experience was similar. When I nailed these 4 things, my IM marathon PR went from 4+ hrs to 3:25 and my overall IM PR time went from 11+ hrs to sub 10:30 (on the IMWisc course), and that included walking the big hills on the marathon course.

The only other tidbit I would add to this is more philosophical than anything: The slower you start the run, the sooner you finish. Every time I've started the run slow and steadily picked up the pace, I put down a solid run/decent time (for me).

Good luck! Happy tapering! Enjoy the day, however it unfolds. Trust your training. Race YOUR race. Thank the volunteers. Get the crowds to do The Wave out in Verona.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for the run on my first full [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to note that "run fitness" isn't one of those 4 items. While it's implied that you need to train the run. I'm rarely hearing anyone say that they didn't run enough and that's why their split was off. It really makes you rethink the split of run vs. bike volume.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next