Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice after bad aquabike
Quote | Reply
I did the Redman full aquabike as prep for IMFL (1st IM). My FTP is ~250w and I had targeted 180w for this race, with plans to run a few miles after to test pacing and nutrition. I’ve done quite a few 4+ hour training rides between 195-200w (NP), with an avg HR of 143-145bpm. Due to logistics, I hardly ever do a swim/bike brick.

I’m a relatively poor swimmer. The lake was choppy and I swam a 1:16, and took in 5-6 mouthfuls of water. I started the bike with a bloated stomach, and this never went away. My HR started high (150+) and never really came down to where I wanted it. After lap 1 of the bike, I was at 181w NP, which should have made this the easiest ride I’ve done in many months, but my HR said otherwise. Due to my stomach, I had difficulty meeting my nutrition target, and started to feel a bit nauseous when I took on food and gels. I also must not have taken in enough water (though it sure seemed like I was), as I didn’t pee until 6pm.

Lap 2 was bad. I had trouble maintaining my power target, and was 12 mins slower than lap 1, total time was 5:26 with an NP of 170w and avg HR of 150bpm. I ended up about 500 calories short of my 1500 calorie target (stinger waffles, gels, Perform). I tried to run after, but stomach cramps prevented it, I felt like I had a brick in there.

I feel my main problem is the swim, I just take in too much water and air, and cannot get rid of the bloated feeling. I know it’s air, b/c of what comes out the hour after the race is over. And it’s something of a snowball effect from there - nutrition troubles, high HR on low power, etc.

Anyway, any advice would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice after bad aquabike [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like your target is too high. The swim took more out of you than you thought. Adjust downward. 160 probably more realistic. Try this--first half hour--stay UNDER your target by 20w till you feel like you can eat and the bloat goes away, your HR comes down, etc. This will feel slow and you will want to push it, but disaster lies that way. Once you feel like eating, raise it up to your target and hold it. You will make lost time up on the run.

Swim bike bricks will help you dial this in a little better, esp the adjustment part.

owner: world's tightest psoas (TM)
Quote Reply