Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advantages of Lighter cranksets
Quote | Reply
Looking to move to a shorter 165mm crankset (im 5'5")

and wanted to get something more compatible with rotor Q rings, so i was looking at the power2max Type S.

Price wise the FSA gossamer seems like the best deal

but at 772 grams, its ~ 150 grams heavier than my current QUarq riken RS

would this be a noticeable difference on at all?

what are the advantages of a lighter crank set , would it be worthwhile ti spend the extra $$ to get something a bit lighter?

My Felt IA1 is already a bit heavy, but i dont think an extra 100g overall would make much difference,

crankset will be shared between my Fuji SST 1.3 roadbike (came with BB86, but converted to GXP) and the felt IA (came with PF30, but converted to GXP)
Quote Reply
Re: Advantages of Lighter cranksets [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:

and wanted to get something more compatible with rotor Q rings, so i was looking at the power2max Type S.

what are the advantages of a lighter crank set , would it be worthwhile ti spend the extra $$ to get something a bit lighter?

My Felt IA1 is already a bit heavy, but i dont think an extra 100g overall would make much difference,

crankset will be shared between my Fuji SST 1.3 roadbike (came with BB86, but converted to GXP) and the felt IA (came with PF30, but converted to GXP)

It'd be noticeable if you're a weight weenie.

Honestly, depends on what you value more, weight savings or money savings.

edit, and to put this into perspective, I'd suggest looking up some weights of different objects such as a water bottle in grams. That's going to weigh more than the difference in the cranksets. Do you notice when you're carrying an extra water bottle? Does it bother you?

Last edited by: racehd: Feb 10, 16 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way you'd notice 100g. But like all tiny incremental gains, if you can save 100g on avg for each of your next 10 upgrades, a couple pounds would make a bit of difference (of course you still wouldn't necessarily notice it consciously if you got used to the changes spread over time as opposed to all at once).

Whether that's worth $XXX or not nobody else can answer for you. I'd say no, but then all our cars are at least 9 years old too, and my dream is to be able to hire out my yard work, which makes me poor by ST standards.
Quote Reply
Re: Advantages of Lighter cranksets [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that 100G on my overall bike weight is insignificant, but the rotational weight penalty of something im spinning 80-90times per minute over 5-6 hours could add up to something.... or maybe it wont...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotational weight only comes into effect for accelerations. If you keep a constant 90 rpm then the weight matters no more that the weight on your down tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:

As the others have said, the weight difference probably isn't that big a deal but you might consider the Rotors for other reasons. As I understand things, the Gossamer cranks are specially machined for P2max so you won't find other crank length units floating around out there if you decide you want to change you crank length. With the Rotors, swapping out cranks is pretty straight forward with the proper tool. Secondly I would expect the Rotor version to maintain a higher resale since they're perceived as a higher quality crank. For those reasons, I chose to go with the Rotors over the FSAs and have not regretted it.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply