Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advantage of having a nice road bike versus a normal one?
Quote | Reply
Trying to figure out the point in having a nice road bike, really just trying to decide which of my two road bikes to keep.

Bike 1: 2013 CAAD10, sram force, aluminum frame, excellent in all respects, about 18lbs
Bike 2: 2012 Scott Addict carbon frame, di2, quarq, enve bars/stem, $200 saddle, Flo 30s, about 16.5lbs

Both fit me well but kind of need to get rid of a bike for space issues and road bikes are the only bikes I have duplicates of. Really though, I can tell very little, if any, difference between the two bikes (aside from the electronic shifting of course). Both really comfortable for long distances. I originally picked up the CAAD10 purely for crits because I didn't want to go down and destroy an expensive frame or enves or anything. But after a year of splitting my time on both, there's very little difference. I also feel lots

Thinking moving the Quarq over to the CAAD10 and selling the Scott. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Advantage of having a nice road bike versus a normal one? [hankscorpio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Advantage of having a nice road bike versus a normal one? [hankscorpio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep whichever one you love more. if you plan on racing crits, then keep the CAAD10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sell the one that allows you to make the most profit or at least break even on resale value. :)

Formerly known SCENERYNW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sell both and get a Colnago. I was out on my Colnago this afternoon and three beautiful women pulled over and begged me to have sex with them And this was a slow day!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put them both up for sale in the configurations you want to sell them in and see which goes first. Easy peasy!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Advantage of having a nice road bike versus a normal one? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Sell both and get a Colnago. I was out on my Colnago this afternoon and three beautiful women pulled over and begged me to have sex with them And this was a slow day!

Were they Italian and driving one of those little Fiats?
Quote Reply
Re: Advantage of having a nice road bike versus a normal one? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

I think this is a good idea, perhaps sell the soulless aluminum bike and the Scott frame them get you a steel Master X Light frame and fork (only 20 pounds!) with the proceeds. TIP: Red is a nice color.

http://colnago.com/master-2/?lang=en
Last edited by: jroden: Apr 1, 15 14:49
Quote Reply
Re: Advantage of having a nice road bike versus a normal one? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Keep whichever one you love more. if you plan on racing crits, then keep the CAAD10.

I've never seen anyone seriously damage a frame in a crit. Seen wheels go. Bars. Shifters. RD. Front fork. All manner of human body parts. Never a frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Advantage of having a nice road bike versus a normal one? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jdais wrote:

I've never seen anyone seriously damage a frame in a crit. Seen wheels go. Bars. Shifters. RD. Front fork. All manner of human body parts. Never a frame.

I have seen a few. Put my shoulder through the seat-stay of a guys Specialized Venge. He hit me hard from behind in a turn flipping me upside down into him. No damage to my carbon frame. Shifters, derailleurs, chain, seat, wheels, and my skin didn't turn out so well though!
Quote Reply
Re: Advantage of having a nice road bike versus a normal one? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
Sell both and get a Colnago. I was out on my Colnago this afternoon and three beautiful women pulled over and begged me to have sex with them

And this was a slow day!

I think this is a good idea, perhaps sell the soulless aluminum bike and the Scott frame them get you a steel Master X Light frame and fork (only 20 pounds!) with the proceeds. TIP: Red is a nice color.

http://colnago.com/master-2/?lang=en[/quote[/url]]

Yes, red, it has to be red!

My bike, a Dream HP, is getting old but I can't imagine ever trading it for anything but another Colnago.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Advantage of having a nice road bike versus a normal one? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least two frames broken in the WPro crit in san dimas this past weekend.

Seen plenty of others.

But I see a lot of crits. I wouldn't make it a major deciding point either. Just know that you can afford to break it if you race it.

trail wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't "love" one more than another ---- sell the more expensive one and take your significant other on a weekend getaway.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also make the CAAD10 really light if that is a concern, my CAAD10 is 15.9lbs and lighter than most guys bikes i race with....not that weight really matters. CAAD10 is great for racing because a frame replacement from cannondale is around 700 i think and that is really affordable, also its easy to spot a structural issue in aluminum after a crash.

We also just had a big crit race this last weekend and the podium of the 1/2/3 race was CAAD10/Moots Ti/Super Six, so you can do well without carbon.

If you are willing to do some drilling you can put DI2 on the CAAD10 and route them internally (Weight Weenies has a good thread on how to do this) and it looks really clean. You will have an external battery under the BB/chain stay/seat but overall it looks really nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jdais wrote:

i have seen all manner of frame and fork breakage in races. It's usually from a collision with a fixed object, seems like they are pretty weak on that axis and fold right up. Sometimes the bars wheel around and smash the crap out of the top tube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you seem to like them both equally, I'd say list them both and see which one sells first. Or whichever fetches the highest price - the Scott no doubt so your plan of moving the Quarq over makes sense to me.

If it was me, I'd keep the Scott because I am very fond of mine, geometry fits me well, and I prefer Shimano components, but you seem to have no distinct preference so it's really an economic decision at the root of it and less an emotional or sporting one.

j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the CAAD10, it sounds cooler.
BTW - fascinating that you really don't feel a difference between them.
Quote Reply
Re: Advantage of having a nice road bike versus a normal one? [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my CAAD10-4. I'm on my tri bike 95% of the time, but love taking the CAAD 10 out occasionally or when the tri bike needs some work. Never ridden a Scott, but if you can't really tell a difference between the two, I'd sell the more expensive one.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if u can't replace it then don't race on it :)

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply