Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adjusting gears question
Quote | Reply
When I bought my 11 speed P2 the bike shop (now closed) adjusted it so I could run my 10 speed disc on it. This meant that when I put on my 11 speed training wheel I only had access to 10 gears, no biggie, but I'm now selling the bike and need to return it to 11 speed. The largest cog on the cassette doesn't get engaged. Is this a relatively simple thing to rectify or do I need to take it into a shop?
Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting gears question [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not 100% sure of the difference with 10 & 11 speed setups.

there are two options.
1. The 11speed cassette is the same overall width as the 10speed cassettes, with each cog being narrower and closer to its neighbour. this would required an 11 speed chain to be narrower too. I think this is the case. IF I'm right, then I suspect the shop adjusted the deraillieur so it worked perfectly in say the 5th or 6th cog and as it got towards the top or bottom of the cassette it would run less true and be slightly likely to want to shift gears.

2. the 11speed cassette is wider than a 10 speed cassette. It this case the bike store would have adjusted the limit screw on the deraillieur so it wouldn't shift into the biggest cog. IF they allowed it to shift into the biggest cog of the 11 it would have shifted into the carbon of the 10speed wheel.

Years ago a friend did a similar thing with an 8 and 9 speed wheel. He loaned me his 8sp wheel but I had a 10sp setup and that was too different to actually work. sounds like 10/11 works however. It probably wouldn't work if you had a 10sp setup and an 11 speed wheel as the 10 speed chain would be too wide to work with the 11sp cassette.

I assume you are selling the 11 speed bike with 11 speed training wheels? IF this is the case, just take the bike to your LBS and have them adjust it. I suspect they will adjust the barrel adjuster as well as the limit screw. It should be a 5 minute fix at most.

Alternatively, you could search Youtube and see how to adjust a rear deraillieur, and give it a go yourself. Just make sure you adjust the limit screw(s) so the deraillieur doesn't go into the spokes

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on what the LBS did to your bike to make it work. The pull is slightly different between 10 and 11 speed bar end shifters. If they did it "right" they changed out your right bar end shifter for a 10 speed version. Your shifting would have been smooth, but you are stuck going back to 11. If they "hacked it" by adjusting the lower limit and the alignment so it was smooth in the middle and rough on either end then all you need to do adjust the RD back to where it needs to be for 11 speed.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting gears question [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
I'm not 100% sure of the difference with 10 & 11 speed setups.

2. the 11speed cassette is wider than a 10 speed cassette. It this case the bike store would have adjusted the limit screw on the deraillieur so it wouldn't shift into the biggest cog. IF they allowed it to shift into the biggest cog of the 11 it would have shifted into the carbon of the 10speed wheel.

Yeah I think this is probably what they did. The gear shifter has an additional click when you shift down, where nothing happens. I'm guessing when adjusted this will then allow it to click on to the largest cog. Bike shops are chockas at the moment, 2 week turn around or something, so will probably have to figure this out myself.
Last edited by: zedzded: May 14, 17 18:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Sounds like a simple limit screw adjustment. Youtube will tell you how. Use a Philips (star) screwdriver. When you turn it, It will look like nothing is happening unless you are trying to move the deraillieur into the cog it currently won't go into.
top tip? count the number of turns you do the screw (I count 1/4 turns since there are 4 parts to the star of a Philips head screw), then if you have to undo what you've just done, you can just count and you're back to where you started :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Adjusting gears question [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
Sounds like a simple limit screw adjustment. Youtube will tell you how. Use a Philips (star) screwdriver. When you turn it, It will look like nothing is happening unless you are trying to move the deraillieur into the cog it currently won't go into.
top tip? count the number of turns you do the screw (I count 1/4 turns since there are 4 parts to the star of a Philips head screw), then if you have to undo what you've just done, you can just count and you're back to where you started :-)

Cool thanks for the tips guys.
Quote Reply