Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Acid Reflux while running in the afternoon/evening
Quote | Reply
I've had this issue for a long time and have kind of just dealt with it, but I was curious whether there is a better way.

I generally train first thing in the morning fasted, with the exception of my long rides/races. If I eat, it's toast, almond butter, and a banana. However, if I run any time after lunch (from 1PM to 9PM), I get really bad acid reflux and can taste the last thing I've eaten during the entire session and generally feel like garbage during and after the session. I've eaten as long as 3 hours prior to the run and the same thing happens... Any suggestions? I can even digest food during my long runs no problem (bananas/clif bars).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Acid Reflux while running in the afternoon/evening [clogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On average food in the stomach is only about half emptied 2.5-3 hours after eating. I think it takes up to 4-5 hours to completely empty, of course depending on what you eat.

I used to get the same problem, so I started eating a banana about 30 min before my lunch time run and ate lunch after the run which fixed my issue
Quote Reply
Re: Acid Reflux while running in the afternoon/evening [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would make a lot of sense, but it would be nearly impossible for me to go without snacking for 5 hours. lol

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have similar issues. I've been experimenting with different foods, and there does seem to be some variation, but it's an ongoing challenge. The only things I've found so far that really seem to work are either working out fasted in the morning or waiting a solid 4+ hours after a meal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe take a acid reducer about 20-30 minutes before running. I'd go with something like Zantac and stay away from Prilosec. Zantac is a H2 blocker so it blocks histamine release in the GI tract. Prilosec is a PPI and that class of drugs affect absorption of nutrients and has been implicated in quite a few problems for long term users. YOu can find that info by googling it. I have to occasionally take Zantac at night for reflux.

Another thing that you could try is a shake or smoothie of some kind as your last calorie intake before running. And of course if you happen to be overweight and carry that weight in your abdomen area that could make things worse. Good luck, it sounds miserable.
Quote Reply
Re: Acid Reflux while running in the afternoon/evening [Daydreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was also going to suggest your last meal be liquid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello dogs and All,

Recent article on acid reflux ...

http://time.com/...;utm_source=time.com

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Acid Reflux while running in the afternoon/evening [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I've had this issue for a long time and have kind of just dealt with it, but I was curious whether there is a better way.

I generally train first thing in the morning fasted, with the exception of my long rides/races. If I eat, it's toast, almond butter, and a banana. However, if I run any time after lunch (from 1PM to 9PM), I get really bad acid reflux and can taste the last thing I've eaten during the entire session and generally feel like garbage during and after the session. I've eaten as long as 3 hours prior to the run and the same thing happens... Any suggestions? I can even digest food during my long runs no problem (bananas/clif bars).
I have a similar problem and the key factor is what I have for lunch - even if my run is 5 hours later. Soda, too much coffee in the afternoon, and spicy foods and certain things like Chipotle are major triggers. If I eat a salad or veggie sandwich I'm totally fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would second looking at beverage intake. Anything carbonated and/or with caffeine or chocolate may exacerbate reflux. Over the counter, generic histamine antagonists (famotidine, ranitidine) should be effective. Experiment to find the lowest dose that works. (Not a doctor, but have had GERD for years.)

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I eat the wrong foods or just eat to close to workout I sometimes just chew a couple of Tums before heading out and that seems to help a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here. This is why I run just before lunch. I'm not a morning person (swim is okay in the morning) and I get indigestion and acid if running after work, even if like you said lunch was 5 hours ago. Swim AM. Run noon. Bike evening. That's what the mid-week looks like.
Quote Reply