Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Achillies issues
Quote | Reply
So I went to the PT a few weeks ago. I had started to have issues with my achillies /right foot, especially when I get out of bed. He gave me the normal stretches, calf , bent toe against solid object, Eccentric strengthening exercsises. He is also told me to switch from my on cloud cloudflow 6mm heel drop to something on lines of 10mm drop which now I am in new balance 1080 fresh foam v7. It seems to bother me more on long runs the day after, 5-6 mile runs not so much the next morning. Went on a 10 mile run yesterday and it is somewhat sore this morning. I had mixed in several weeks of long run at 8 miles before I went for 10 miles yesterday. Are there any neoprene sleeves or supports that help for the achillies. I have tried KT a few times but would rather get a brace or sleeve rather than tapping up all the time. As soon as i go hit the pool today or tonight, it will loosen up and feel alot better
Quote Reply
Re: Achillies issues [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had bad Achilles issues a few years ago. Actually developed a slight tear after running Boston in shoes That I (rightly or wrongly) blame for part of the problem. Many months to heal and wound up getting PRP which worked for me in combination with lots of eccentric heel drops.

But to actually somewhat answer your question:

In my experience, you can get some relief using something like this:

https://www.powersteps.com/shop-products/supports-bracing/ultrastretch-night-sock.html

That said, I think that there is no substitute for regular eccentric heel drops. They require some discipline in order to be really effective I have found, as your inclination will be to stop the program once you feel a bit better. You really have to stick with it. The one I use is a 12 week ptrogram There are a few protocols out there, some with weights, some all bodyweight. Here is the one I use:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/ankle-achilles-shin-pain/achilles-tendonitis/strengthening-exercises-achilles-tendinitis

Good luck! Achilles problems seem to to take forever to go away...and even then they tend to come back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does morning pain extend into heel and bottom of foot? If so, this is characteristic of Plantar Fasciitis.

What has worked for me:

Strassburg Sock overnight.

Calf massage - foam roller, The Stick, etc.
Plantar Fascia massage - Rubz ball, golf ball, tennis ball (rolling on floor).
Gentle calf stretches.
Gentle calf raises.

Add: Wobble Board also effective.

DO all these several times a day.
Last edited by: Brushman: Dec 5, 17 2:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Foam roller is what turned the trick for me. Get the entire lower leg 3+ times a day especially after a run.
Most exercises work after the pain is gone.
Strausberg sick is great if you can stand it.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dl1340 wrote:
So I went to the PT a few weeks ago. I had started to have issues with my achillies /right foot, especially when I get out of bed. He gave me the normal stretches, calf , bent toe against solid object, Eccentric strengthening exercsises. He is also told me to switch from my on cloud cloudflow 6mm heel drop to something on lines of 10mm drop which now I am in new balance 1080 fresh foam v7. It seems to bother me more on long runs the day after, 5-6 mile runs not so much the next morning. Went on a 10 mile run yesterday and it is somewhat sore this morning. I had mixed in several weeks of long run at 8 miles before I went for 10 miles yesterday. Are there any neoprene sleeves or supports that help for the achillies. I have tried KT a few times but would rather get a brace or sleeve rather than tapping up all the time. As soon as i go hit the pool today or tonight, it will loosen up and feel alot better

Can you describe the exact location of your issue better? As someone else stated, if this is more heel involved then you may have PF instead of Achilles issues.

Also, if it is Achilles tendonitis, then you need to stop running. This is NOT a tendon you want to screw around with. Look back on this forum at the number of athletes who complain about their chronic problems with their Achilles. A large number of these people would not be in their current situation if they had quit running while rehabbing the injury. I had to take three months off. I could bike and swim but ZERO running.

Also, don't follow the PT's advice as gospel. Back when mine started, I went to PT and had him work on me with massage and ultrasound and specific exercises. After about two weeks, he said "go on out and give it a try with a run". That was a mistake. You can feel a lot of your Achilles tendon from your heel all the way up to the muscle belly. Squeeze it at the heel, or rub it up higher, and see if feels tender. Compare this to your other Achilles tendon. When you can do this, and no longer have pain or dull ache, then you can try to get back at running.....with a very slow build up.

This also depends on you actually have the correct diagnosis :)
Quote Reply
Re: Achillies issues [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm dealing with my own issues now. Had issues in the other leg in the lower calf and slight discomfort in the Achilles last year. Went through PT and about 6 weeks off from running and it was fine all the way through my half ironman in October. Thought it was due to some 0 drop shoes I switched to, so I've been in 11mm drop since. Well, it flared up again about 2 weeks ago. Going to a sports chiropractor for this one as I wasn't a huge fan of the PT I was seeing, and my coach recommended this person (also have a close relative who is a chiropractor who works for a college athletic department and he said he's seen good results with tendonitis in the Achilles). Very similar treatments at the Chiro, but he seems to be a little more adventurous with techniques (massages, hip adjustments, cupping therapy, acupuncture, muscle stimulation, etc.). But the major problem that reared it's head this weekend was that he thought I could keep running on it as long as it wasn't hurting badly. I caught it very early and was only mildly sore at first. Well, two ~5-6 mile runs later, and it's now too difficult to run. I have a feeling I'm out for 4 weeks minimum.

But I do agree with him that it's probably not an issue as simple as it's the shoe's fault. Especially since it's happened on shoes that I ran with for 9+ months with no issues. It's a muscle imbalance issue. I have weak glutes and hamstrings. I'm doing exercises (similar to what I did with the PT) that will hopefully work that out. I think the chrio was a little optimistic that these exercises would fix the problem while still letting me run. Hopefully I didn't add much time to the recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pain is right below the ankle bone.This is where it feels the most stiff until it is stretched out. Yesterday it was real stiff, after going to pool and doing some kick sets with flippers it feels alot better today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been dealing with Achilles tendonitis for the last year. I was hoping that going easy on the running and stretching would fix it. It hasn't so I recently went to my PT. I had 5 treatments . Each tx involved 1) TENS unit tx, followed by 2) cupping, followed by 3) dry needling followed by 4) Graston Technique -scrapping the calf and Achilles (hard) with a piece of metal. I have to say the Graston stuff hurt like hell. However, tx has worked and I'm pain free. I've been putting in some fairly long runs (have one or two 50k's scheduled), some back to back, and the Achilles issues seem to be gone. I love my PT. She always gets me back in the game. My only regret is that I didn't go see her about this a year ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dl1340 wrote:
pain is right below the ankle bone.This is where it feels the most stiff until it is stretched out. Yesterday it was real stiff, after going to pool and doing some kick sets with flippers it feels alot better today.

Right below the ankle bone! So, outside or inside of foot? And, is there any pain at the very back of the heel? How about the bottom of the heel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outside of the foot, not so much under the heel of the foot. Can feel it when trying to push off the foot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't be the achilles if it is on the outside of the foot. achilles runs down the back to the back/top of the heel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dl1340 wrote:
Outside of the foot, not so much under the heel of the foot. Can feel it when trying to push off the foot

If it is outside of the foot, and not on the bottom of the heel, I would doubt it to be an Achilles issue. As I mentioned in an earlier post, pinch your Achilles at the heel and move upward. Compare it to your other leg. If there is no pain/tenderness, then it is most likely not Achilles tendonitis.

If the pain is on the outside of the foot (heel), and not involving the bottom of the heel, then you may be dealing with a peroneal tendon issue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eccentric calf exercises as mentioned and become religious with rolling out your calves pre and post run. Seriously. Don’t run unless you have time to really work them with a lacrosse or golf ball. Good luck.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply