Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Achilles injuries
Quote | Reply
looking for advice on recovering from an Achilles injury. Strained or tore it during a hill run. Stopped immediately and got a ride. Been icing it and motrin. How long do these damned injuries last!?? Anybody have good advice?
Thanks in advance!

Eastern Shore Triathlete

Eastern Shore Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [cook264] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been battling Achilles pain since May. It sucks

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Sep 1, 15 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See a doctor

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get in touch with a functional patterns practitioner
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Functional patterns practitioner? Clue me in please

Eastern Shore Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It takes a long time. Tendons are a white for reason - they get no blood flow. I would set expectations at least 3 months and that is if you're patient, have vitality, and are lucky.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 1, 15 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I've had stress fractures that didn't sideline me like this!

Eastern Shore Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Eastern Shore Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took about a year for mine to heal, and it was just a minor tear. I kept trying to do it on my own, then I would go for a short run and reinjure it. After a few months, I went to my GP. She got me into an orthopedist who specializes in sports medicine. He sent me to a PT who is a runner and understood that I want to be back to 100%. When the ortho released me to run again, it was for initial stretches of no longer than a block for the first few weeks.

AT injuries suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, hats what I keep doing. Just re injuring it. I do stretch it but nightingale seems to help. I've got the Marine Corp Marathon in less than two months...ughh

Eastern Shore Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do yourself a favor and get that achilles healed properly before jumping back in to training. I've been dealing with off and on chronic achilles issues for 5 years because I refused to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [Bob S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, thinking I'm gonna see the Dr

Eastern Shore Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:
Get in touch with a functional patterns practitioner

http://www.functionalpatterns.com/

https://www.facebook.com/FunctionalPatterns

They are on youtube aswell,

Injury's are a thing of the past when you follow them

https://www.facebook.com/...tterns/photos_stream
Last edited by: SamYO: Sep 1, 15 12:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cook264 wrote:
Yeah, hats what I keep doing. Just re injuring it. I do stretch it but nightingale seems to help. I've got the Marine Corp Marathon in less than two months...ughh

I would avoid trying to stretch your achilles. It needs to heal before you start trying to pull it apart again! You may have tight calf muscles which contributed to the injury but better off using a roller than putting more stress on your achilles. That's been my experience.

I've also had luck in healing by putting a small heel riser inside any shoes I wear during the day to reduce how much it stretches in regular daily activities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cook264 wrote:
looking for advice on recovering from an Achilles injury. Strained or tore it during a hill run. Stopped immediately and got a ride. Been icing it and motrin. How long do these damned injuries last!?? Anybody have good advice?
Thanks in advance!

Eastern Shore Triathlete

Had a similar issue in March after a 50miler. Ibuprofen, ice bath (aka submerge the lower leg in ice water) and accupuncture and I was back at it in full force in 3 weeks. YMMV but

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I struggled with my achilles tendon issue for a year. Still feel it twinge every once in a while, but it's better after seeing a doctor and doing a lot of heel drops. Google 'eccentric heel drops'. Google 'Alfredson Protocol for achilles.' Be consistent and do them daily. I wouldn't stretch it so much as foam roll the calves, as someone else said already. Also, go see a doc. Chronic tendonosis sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I've been battling Achilles pain since May. It sucks

Almost identical here. End of May, partially torn/ruptured Achilles. Went to doc, who sent me to PT immediately. I've been sticking strictly to what PT has suggested, but I had the pain/inflammation move around the ankle during the first month or so (i.e., posterior tibial tendon, peroneal tendon, plantar facia, etc.). Run has been severely limited. For example, went for a run/walk session yesterday and felt good throughout and afterwards. This morning? Feels like I'm back to that first month post-injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [sjm0802] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjm0802 wrote:
I struggled with my achilles tendon issue for a year. Still feel it twinge every once in a while, but it's better after seeing a doctor and doing a lot of heel drops. Google 'eccentric heel drops'. Google 'Alfredson Protocol for achilles.' Be consistent and do them daily. I wouldn't stretch it so much as foam roll the calves, as someone else said already. Also, go see a doc. Chronic tendonosis sucks.

I hear about the heel drops all the time. I have lived in a house for 26 years with tons of stairs. I hope this has given me constant heel drop exercising.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Achilles is a tendon, it does NOT stretch. If it's torn, you are in for a long recovery and you need to see a doctor ASAP. If only irritated, then you may have a quick recovery if you let the pain go away, then treat the cause of the irritation, which is likely in your hips/glutes/low back or even higher up in the body. The Achilles is just the output of a long chain of connective tissue and is rarely the problem. Ice will not help if its irritated, since it reduces blood flow, and above all else, you need blood flow. After the pain goes away, the best treatment for a calf centered Achilles problem is doing weighted eccentric calf drops.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As was mentioned above, fix the problem area in the Glutes Med / Max, Hamstrings etc, then

1) Eccentric Calf drops, 60-100 per day
2) Roll It - believe it or not, I used a wooden rolling pin.
3) Massage
4) Ice
5) Acupuncture (works better for some then others but worth a shot)
6) Stretch

I tried to fix it on my own, no luck. Followed the above regiment and was back in business in no time. I couldn't run 2km without having to stop dead in my tracks. Now I'm back up to 20km runs with no problem. Follow it like clock work and you will get back sooner, casually follow it and it will take much longer.
Last edited by: Phoenixrising: Sep 1, 15 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [Phoenixrising] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only thing I'd add to what's already been said is try rolling with a lacrosse ball. The foam roller wasn't really able to get at the tissue like I needed it to. Heel drops are huge try to back off speed/hill work until you're 100% healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [Phoenixrising] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've run into this injury while training for half marathons, and the things that have helped me most are:

1. Let the injury heal completely first - no running
2. Consistent foam-rolling the area throughout the day
3. Strengthening the calf muscles above by doing toe raises on a staircase everyday
4. Running with CEP calf sleeves.

Like everyone is saying, let the injury heal first. It could take several weeks.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [ndtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't roll the tendon - that really doesn't work. The source of the injury isn't the Achilles, but a weakness elsewhere. I'd look into EPAT treatment if the injury isn't severe. I was back running in three weeks this spring using EPAT. Make sure you see a dr who specializes in sports injuries - it makes a world of difference and they know what it's like to miss training.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles injuries [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. Now that I think about it some more, when I used my foam roller, I typically rolled my lower calf muscle, not the actual tendon.
Quote Reply