Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Achilles Tendonitis
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to share this with you...

I've been experimenting with various "cures" for my long-lasting achilles tendonitis. Ice and stretching have not worked, but the other day I came across this article:
http://www.nismat.org/...-achilles-tendinosis

I was surprise, not only by how well it worked, but by how quickly the eccentric training (lowering into dorsiflexion) worked! I ran pain-free for the first time in a long time.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendonitis [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you use a weighted backpack moving forward when doing the calf drops. If you on,he use your body weight, you will not get close to maximizing the value of the exercise.

Start with 5 lbs and slowly work your way up. I think I capped out around 40lbs.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendonitis [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Make sure you use a weighted backpack moving forward when doing the calf drops. If you on,he use your body weight, you will not get close to maximizing the value of the exercise.

Start with 5 lbs and slowly work your way up. I think I capped out around 40lbs.

My body comes pre-configured with a 30lb loaded backpack already. :-)

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting article.

Short hx: I was diagnosed in HS as a teenage soccer player. Tighter than a drum, couldn't play or practice without heavy treatment. Spent far too log in the trainer's room before and after practice (tape and ice). After school, went into a prolonged inactive period (I lifted a lot) primarily because I didn't want to deal with the pain and treatment required. Plus, ever run in orthodics? Similar to your point, ice and stretching did nothing for me. As I got back into running, I moved into minimal drop shoes. As the tendon/muscle elongated, I ran pain free. First time in about 15+ years. Haven't had any trouble for about 5-6 years now. Correlation is not causation, but I'm happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone with dropfoot who cant elongate their achilles, this is a requirement of my training...Stretching, warming up, and weighted calf-raises have elimianted my achilles issues. Before doing these preventative measures before running I would get a lot of pain.

Now im working on similar techniques for related plantar fascitis.
Quote Reply