Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Achilles Tendon Popping or Hanging Sensation
Quote | Reply
I have an achilles tendon issue that seems to be developing. It started with a popping or hanging sensation in my right leg when performing specific movements. For example when doing a lunge, when my right leg is the back leg and I extend up from the lunge, I feel like my tendon is hanging up when I return to standing. Same sensation when I stand up after a push up. There is no noise, just the sensation. This feeling started about four weeks ago, but I had not experienced any pain.

Last week however I stated to feel some pain while running, but not much. On Saturday, the pain got pretty bad on a run and lingered for the rest of the day. Everything felt fine by Monday, but I resisted the urge to run until a short run yesterday (Wednesday). The first 25 minutes it felt strong, but then a mild pain started to come on. Nothing bad, but I could tell it was there. I am hesitant to keep running as I do not want this to become a thing.

Any thoughts on what is going on? Or what the solution is? Any chance this will clear up after a week of no running or do I need to go see a doctor?
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendon Popping or Hanging Sensation [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer, I am not a doctor. All of my three achilles injuries needed to be seen by professional. Chiro that specializes in soft tissue injuries was the most help. First two were handled by podiatrist, not much help except sit out 8 weeks.Third time, initial visit and subsequent visits to Chiro lead to ART, graston and dry needling, was back at it in two weeks and fully back in pre injury form in 6 weeks. After pain was gone, eccentric heel drops helped. I am old too, 46. You maybe younger and recover better. Go see somebody that deals with ART,Graston and dry needling. Short of having bone spurs in your heel and that are irritating the tendon insertion, you will likely find trigger points above in you calf muscle that need to be worked on.
Long term, hip, glute and core strength are likely your solution. Been told several times that majority of lower leg trouble begins above.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendon Popping or Hanging Sensation [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to make this more confusing, but I went to a Chiro that did ART and Graston and absolutely made me worse. Then I went to a Podiatrist who did EPAT for three weeks in a row and I'm back to running and building very slowly without any pain.

My advice: Stop running for a bit and start doing some strength exercises. Load your tendon with concentric and eccentric exercises. Tendons don't need manipulation to heal, they need load.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendon Popping or Hanging Sensation [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my experience, what you are experiencing is a precursor to an Achilles injury (I had the same sensation before hurting mine)

I would say +1 to the poster above

Stop running now, it’s not worth even doing shorter “test it out” runs.

Instead, do a couple of weeks of load based exercises - google Achilles rehab exercises and do those.

I did those (eccentric loading) - progressed into skipping rope, lots of calf deep rolling with a ball, then return to full running

What I didn’t do is stop running entirely when I first felt the clicking/popping sensation which is what I would change if I could go back
Quote Reply