Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Achilles Tendon - Recovery
Quote | Reply
After almost 2 years of being plagued with on-again off-again Achilles tendinitis, i stopped running completely for 6 months. It honestly took about 4 of those months to be able to pinch my Achilles tendon (on both feet) without feeling pain. I am going to start running again this week but i'm hoping someone out there with a similar experience can answer two questions for me:

1. Is there any training plans out there for starting back to running after Achilles injuries? Obviously starting slow is the name of the game. I was thinking something like this:
Week 1: 3 days a week, 2km each, slow pace
Week 2: 3 days a week, 3km each, slow pace
Week 3: 3 days a week, varying 3km and 4km

etc.

2. What do you recommend to do during this period? Rolling the calves for sure. Should i keep up with the eccentric calf raises? Is massage helpful? Icing? My ankles still feel quite tight in the morning, especially if I've walked a lot the day before.

Thanks,

Cam
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendon - Recovery [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor or trainer or coach, just a big slow Clydesdale who has battled through a couple of different types of injuries (including a couple of years of achilles problems) over the years.

You might want to consider doing an even slower ramp up. I've done 4 half IMs in the last few years and struggled with some back issues (L4-L5, L5-S1, stenosis, sciatica), but thankfully avoided surgery. In returning to running, I followed the couch to 5K program and it's worked well for me. It definitely hurt the pride, but better to come back super-slowly and surely.

Best of luck to you!
Quote Reply