Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Achilles Tendon (again) - success stories please!
Quote | Reply
i developed Achilles tendentious last year, mainly on my right ankle. My mileage was reduced significantly after that but started running again late last year. No issues but now that i'm running a whole lot more it's come back on both ankles. I'm at the point where i can run no problem but it hurts the next day. I know if i ran 10 days in a row then i'd be toast and not be able to run at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this injury? Any success stories of overcoming it? Or is it something i'll have to deal with for the rest of my life?

i know eccentric leg exercises are key and I will be doing these again (I think they helped me run a 38km trail race last summer). The internet scares me with messages like "possibly a running career-ending injury". I have a 10km race in 3 weeks and i'm on the fence of how much to train or not to train.

male
light frame
38m 10km
starting to get into ultras
havent been biking and swimming for 6 months

cheers. B.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendon (again) - success stories please! [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eccentric eccentric eccentric. Do it when you are feeling strong. Strength exercises are good.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendon (again) - success stories please! [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have achilles tendonitis on both feet. It got so bad last year I would hobble when I first got out of bed, out of the car or desk chair. I tried ART, massage, heat, ice, rest, stretching. I have a great orthopedic doctor but he was not much help on this. The best result came about 6 months ago when I went to see a reputable podiatrist. This guy treats lots of runners and athletes. He emphasized the eccentric type of stretch. Note that "normal" stretching like putting your hands on the wall and bending one knee ARE VERY BAD for jacked-up achilles. The podiatrist noted that I have Haglund's deformities on both heels, which are little bony bumps. These cause some stretching of the achilles and naturally inflame it. I also have very tight calves. I've always been fairly tight, but so are most runners. But this creates extra strain on the achilles.

My podiatrist (Capital Foot & Ankle in Austin, TX) has an EPAT machine. This is like souped-up ultrasound that works by insulting the tissue causing the body's natural healing responses to go to work. This is a procedure that used to be done surgically in the hospital because it does hurt, even though its non-invasive. Now its downsized for office use. We did 4 treatments per foot once per week for 4 weeks. A few days after the very first treatment I felt remarkably better. Now, EPAT is not cheap. It was $400 per foot. But hell, for the price of a wetsuit I got my running back.

I also see some very good PTs for work on ankle and calf flexibility. This involves strengthening work, dry needling and soft tissue work similar to ART.

Between these two treatment modalities I am running pain free now. I think realistically your upcoming race might be a casualty, but I encourage you to look for a reputable podiatrist who treats athletes.

Good luck!

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heal drops, then more heal drops. May take months, but it works.
n=1, but I've been pain free for two years and running x4 weekly. Even when you have no symptoms, keep the heal drops in your routine weekly.
Last edited by: Kayastah: Mar 31, 17 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short term:
More eccentric heel drops
ART
Graston
Dry needling
More eccentric heel drops

Long term. In your post, I see you doing nothing to correct what caused the injury likely, so what will you do differently before you injure it again?

Comprehensive, individual, PT supervised strength training for running that will include hip, glute and core.
Consideration should be given to custom prescription orthotics, Sole in particular.
Regular rolling, stretching and visits to massage therapist and doc that will perform ART/Graston/ dry needling on as needed basis. Any method of dealing with trigger points in calf/hamstring as well as miofacial release.

What will you do differently will determine the outcome. Speaking with experience. Screwed myself up badly with the same approach, "how do I patch this up so I can just keep training, oh, BTW I will get to that strength and other work some time".
So instead of training, I have time now to respond to your post. Sitting with torn rectus abdominis, FAI and torn hip labrum. Prior to that, I patched up 3 achilles and 3 calf strains......using that approach. No patching up now.
My post has best intention, should be thought provoking not telling you what to do.
Last edited by: atasic: Mar 31, 17 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through a bout of this on my right side. I felt the same where I could get warmed up and run 6-8 miles with little irritation then after cooling down and the next day it was stiff and sore. It was extremely discouraging. I went to the chiropractor and he has this little gun clicky thing that he used to punch around some areas down there and did a few general adjustmenst and sent me on my way. I was not too hopeful when I left but the next day it felt about 60% better. I did a light 3 mile run the next day and it felt good. In three days it was back to about 90% better. The second thing I did in conjunction was use a small electrostimulation (Tens) unit each night. I'm back up to 50mpw and feeling great.
TL;DR- Go to the Chiropractor and try electrostimulation units.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendon (again) - success stories please! [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an ongoing issue for 3 years after severely damaging one achilles from a couple of days of heavy gardening! Years of eccentric heel drops and stretches did nothing for me. Eventually used a foam roller on it. Couldn't believe after 2 weeks my leg was 90% better. I think my achilles was slightly out of alignment and had old scar tissue on it. Any time I get some tightness in it, the foam roller works wonders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was afflicted by the same late 2015 through about August 2016. MD said eccentric heel drops, which I had already been doing for months based on an internet diagnosis. They didn't do anything for me. PT helped more - leg and calf and foot massage followed by prescribed exercises, followed by electrostim a couple times per week. Oh and stretching - hands against wall with straight leg and what helped more was hands against wall, leg behind me and then SQUAT down and sort of lean into the stretch (not the typical 'raise your heel and push against the wall'). That one always felt good.

It eventually settled down to the point where it was just a minor nuisance. Then I did a tri with a long steep hill up to T1 and re-aggravated it in 2016. And I had been lazy with the stretching. Got really fed up and remembered that the PT lady had said to get a foam roller or one of those roller sticks. PROBLEM SOLVED! Two weeks later I was 100% pain free waking up and also the day after runs. Got through half-distance training in the fall and the race in December with no issues at all.

Foam roll a few times a day and see if that does the trick.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendon (again) - success stories please! [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've written a short text about teninopathy in the hamstring teninopathy thread. Here it is: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6253105#p6253105

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good amount of solid recommendations already on the thread- would also add if you have not done so to get a shoe with a higher heel, but this does not mean motion control. A rigid heel wedge that does not lock-in the rearfoot pronation at a significant degree is also an option.

Although this is a little in the weeds for run mechanics, try to not force a midfoot or forefoot strike, especially directly under the body. The lower leg may be stressed too much.

Good luck- strongly suggest not trying one specific approach only as "the" answer, but rather hit the lower leg with everything possible that may assist with recovery. Stick with it...have yet to see lower leg chronic inj sideline an entire...

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendon (again) - success stories please! [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mattyboy,

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me what sort of foam roll you used? Do you mean roll the hamstrings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get Achilles Tendon 1-2 times/year. When I increased my run cadence, I haven't gotten it since. I'm 48 and I'm OK even at high 50s/low 60s per week.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Tendon (again) - success stories please! [gellerche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gellerche! Stories like this give hope!

I also appreciate all of the advice from everyone. Thanks!
Quote Reply