Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Achilles Bursitis & Amniofix?
Quote | Reply
I've been struggling with achilles bursitis, that has prevented me from running and biking for the last 2 years. My foot/ankle doc suggested trying Amniofix. Has anyone had experience with either chronic retrocalcaneal bursitis or Amniofix? There really isn't much information on the internet about Amniofix, aside from the manufacturers propaganda. Since the shot wouldn't be covered by insurance (was quoted $450 per injection), I'm hesitant to go for it. On the other hand, I'm desperate to be able to be active again.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Bursitis & Amniofix? [CCS_56_EX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use the injectable, but will use amniotic membrane sheets that I sew into the Achilles or other tendons to assist healing and decrease scar tissue formation.

It is hard to separate the marketing/company claims, but in my experience, it does seem to help healing overall.

As for using for your diagnosis of "Achilles bursitis", no, I would not waste the money. I will assume that you are referring more to insertional achilles tendinopathy though vs. retrocalcaneal bursitis.

Quote | Reply
My wife had persistent bursitis (in her hip) which nothing seemed to help. Eventually she had dry needling done and she was running again in like 2 days.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it bother you road racing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
following up on your recovery success, now i have the same issue. Looking for some answers myself to recovery. Cheers

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Bursitis & Amniofix? [AussieMikeinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I decided not to do it. Within the last month, my ankle started feeling back to normal, but I haven't started training on it yet. Best of luck with your injury. If you get the shot, I'd be interested how it works for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It turns out that I had retrocalcaneal bursitis for the past 3 months making it nearly impossible to maintain any type of run program. Fortunately I have "ins" in the medical industry that were willing to work with my tendency for body abuse. After X-rays, echos, two podiatrists, and two orthos, after an mri the bursitis was observed and a shot was given intrabursal using guidance, shot contained a steroid, anti-inflammatory, and antibiotic. It's been 2 weeks post shot and I'm back to 25mpw running. Background: I was diagnosed with calcaneal avulsion fracture, Achilles tendonopathy, bone spur, and a bunion...all wrong. I mentioned bursitis to both podiatrists and their recommendation was for me to use heel lifts??? Quacks. Anyway, the bursitis did present itself as an insertional Achilles tendinitis with acute type pain at the beginning and immediate end of every run. Quite painful. Sorry I don't have input on amniofix, but I am curios of your findings.
In Reply To:

Sharting Happens...deal with it!

http://caughtontherun.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Bursitis & Amniofix? [Caughtontherun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long time lurker here. Finally created an account when I ran across this thread since I have been suffering from what I believe to be Achilles Bursitis for awhile now.

As to the steroid shot, I have always read that it is a no-no to get a steroid shot near the Achilles as it can thin out the ligament making it easier to rupture the Achilles. Is the intrabursal shot safe for the Achilles itself?
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Bursitis & Amniofix? [NiTRoX624] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am reading this post 2 days after surgery to remove the bursa in my right heel. It was a problem for me the past 3 years and limited my running a lot. I tried all the usual physio treatments and it just wouldn't go away. It got to the point where I would get sharp pains just sitting at a desk and had to limp around for at least half an hour when I woke up.

Found out about a super-doc and a surgical procedure from a great source and did some research. If you look up runner Lauren Fleshman's site "ask Lauren Fleshman.com" you can see she got it done too. I contacted the clinic and travelled to Sweden from Canada to get it done. One of the things the Dr. Alfredson was happy of is that I never had any injections since they ruin your tendon.

I now have a 12 week rehab to get back to normal light training. 4-5 weeks with no training will be tough mentally though but I can't wait to be able to run pain free in 5 or 6 months and get back into full swing. Maybe in time for some masters cross country racing in the fall or a late season tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had retrocalcaneal bursitis diagnosed from my podiatrist. He prescribe me some heel lifts to take the pressure off of the bursa and allow it to heal along with some prescription ibuprofen to help with the pain. The heel lifts helped within days and I was able to get my running back to the distance it needed to be at fairly quickly. I then lowered the lifts down very gradually (over 6 months or so) so I wouldn't re aggravate the issue.Haven't had a problem since.
Quote Reply
Re: Achilles Bursitis & Amniofix? [NiTRoX624] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delay, my shot was given going around the Achilles and not through it. The entirety of contents from the injection went into the bursa. No concern for Achilles/steroid rupture...that was my first initial objection.

Sharting Happens...deal with it!

http://caughtontherun.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply