Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up
Quote | Reply
https://wts.triathlon.org/...lon_abu_dhabi/320984
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't wait for the start of the season!

The full start-list is interesting, the Brits are certainly out in force for this race! I'm anticipating a clean-sweep of both podiums : )

But seriously, it's good to see Vicky Holland and Non Stanford back in action after non-existent 2017 seasons; hopefully they can help break up the Duffy-domination in the women's races and it'll be great to see how Sophie Coldwell does this year.

I'm expecting the likes of Jacob Birtwhistle and Kristian Blummenfelt to really be challenging for some wins this year too.
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting to see Alistair on the list too. Has he said he'll race multiple distances this year?
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was discussed/speculated a bit in the Dubai 70.3 thread.

In short, yeah it looks as though he'll be mixing it up with the Commonwealth Games, some ITU WTS races (notably ITU Leeds) and the 70.3 Triple Crown.

The question is whether he goes long this year or not... I'm guessing not.
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The men's race is absolutely loaded. Everybody bar Gomez basically...is Javier finished with the ITU circuit then?
Last edited by: messien: Feb 12, 18 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
It was discussed/speculated a bit in the Dubai 70.3 thread.

In short, yeah it looks as though he'll be mixing it up with the Commonwealth Games, some ITU WTS races (notably ITU Leeds) and the 70.3 Triple Crown.

The question is whether he goes long this year or not... I'm guessing not.

Didn't he win a few weeks ago at 70.3 or is that now considered "short"
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd consider it middle-distance ; )
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is Mola in?

messien wrote:
The men's race is absolutely loaded. Everybody bar Gomez basically...is Javier finished with the ITU circuit then?

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mola is on the start list.
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [TRIspud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't Gomez doing Challenge Wanaka this weekend, guessing it's only the 70.3 but might not fancy all the airmiles before the WTS.

Quality field though, probably all looking for a break from the current miserable winter we are having

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
Can't wait for the start of the season!

The full start-list is interesting, the Brits are certainly out in force for this race! I'm anticipating a clean-sweep of both podiums : )

But seriously, it's good to see Vicky Holland and Non Stanford back in action after non-existent 2017 seasons; hopefully they can help break up the Duffy-domination in the women's races and it'll be great to see how Sophie Coldwell does this year.

I'm expecting the likes of Jacob Birtwhistle and Kristian Blummenfelt to really be challenging for some wins this year too.

Yes should be a more competitive women's field, anyone know how much Spirig plans on racing?

I expect Blummenfelt and Birtwhistle to crash the Gomez/Brownlee/Mola/Murray podium party we've seen for years.
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
I'd consider it (70.3) middle-distance ; )

Triathlon is the only sport I know of where a 4 hr race, or 5-8 hr for AGers, is considered "middle distance". I mean, in both swimming and track, "middle distance" means 2-4 min events like the 800 and 1500 m in track and the 200 and 400 m in swimming. Triathlon has such strange categorizations since similarly a "sprint" race takes about an hour for fast guys and up to 2-2.5 for AGers. A "real sprint tri" would be a 50 m swim, 800 m bike, and 200 m run. :)


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri is weird Eric for sure.

Sprint race should be 50m swim, 250m bike and 100m run, no transitions lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
Tri is weird Eric for sure.

Sprint race should be 50m swim, 250m bike and 100m run, no transitions lol.

I like the way you think, Blue, a swim-heavy tri where the swim is circa equal in time to the bike, and the swim is twice as long as the run. Awesome!!!


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found myself working out how to do the transitions... barefoot with rubber platform pedals.

I’m sure someone on here would be fretting about nutrition and hydration... ;)

Making aero easier at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that Blu will likely have a great year, however I wouldn't discount the Brownlees, especially Alistair. I believe he will take this early season to see if he can still be competitive in ITU and in that case he will be more likely to go for Tokyo, so looking for him to go balls out in Abu Dhabi
Sorry if this is offensive to those without balls
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think not having Alli and Gomez in the front pack coming out the swim will massively effect Jonny's game. Murray and Blum are monster bikers to have in that chase pack.

If Ali decides to race more ITU its more than likely going to be a Brownlee 1,2.
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget about Kanute. He will be hammering with the Brownlee's too.

Strava I Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
I found myself working out how to do the transitions... barefoot with rubber platform pedals.

I’m sure someone on here would be fretting about nutrition and hydration... ;)

That's right, NO distance is short enough to do w/o nutrition and hydration. (pink) :)


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
Tri is weird Eric for sure.

Sprint race should be 50m swim, 250m bike and 100m run, no transitions lol.


I like the way you think, Blue, a swim-heavy tri where the swim is circa equal in time to the bike, and the swim is twice as long as the run. Awesome!!!


Would be a pretty spectacular event :)
Olympics has track and field decathlon, why not a sprint tri :)
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Feb 13, 18 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the bike course like at Abu Dhabi?
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year it was flat with a lot of twisty turns.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Last year it was flat with a lot of twisty turns.

Suitable for a Brownlee break?
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They tend to be better off with some elevation changes to split things up... It is a race car track, which can be tricky to assess gaps on (having raced many bike races and draft legal races on tracks before) which sometimes plays in favor of a break. But if I recall, the real factor racing in that part of the world is wind... if you get a fairly still conditions, there is very little probability of anything staying away, you get crosswinds, all bets are off...
Quote Reply
Re: Abu Dhabi Start Lists Up [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC last year Gomez and Bishop made their move on the bike leg and it stuck, but yeah, not exactly a "technical" course so wouldn't be surprised to see a peloton coming into T2.
Quote Reply

Prev Next