Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
About those Trucker Hats
Quote | Reply
Was somebody at the WTC paying attention to the epic SL thread when they decided this was a good idea?

http://ironmanstore.com/...ampaign=trucker+hats

I know we joked about wanting trucker hats (at least I was), but would never be caught in one. How about you?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: About those Trucker Hats [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate fads. And no, I'd never wear one. Especially not something that cost 8 cents to make and is selling for $25. Wow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think trucker hats are stupid looking. But that's just me.
Quote Reply
Re: About those Trucker Hats [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who was the ad wizard that thought this was a good idea?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it all stems from that painfully ugly hat Luke McKenzie was wearing at Kona last year??

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Re: About those Trucker Hats [Dont_Drown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Luke Hat copying. I'm sure whatever the pros wear, WTC is looking at closely to see how they can bank some $$ on it. I've been seeing a bunch of people cycling / running in the 3/4 sleeve jerseys now as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Was somebody at the WTC paying attention to the epic SL thread when they decided this was a good idea?

http://ironmanstore.com/...ampaign=trucker+hats

I know we joked about wanting trucker hats (at least I was), but would never be caught in one. How about you?

How dare you!

Quote Reply
Re: About those Trucker Hats [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They showed up at expos earlier this year. Did not see them at subsequent IM and 70.3 expos. I originally saw them before the surfing lamb post fwiw. I know that's no fun, but that's the truth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

It's not just you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

I know I'm in a small club on this.. I don't really like trucker hats but I LOVE the plastic snap sizing thing on hats.

It seems only trucker hats use this now.

I hate the stupid strap and metal or plastic buckle, but I also don't really like fitted hats either, although I did recently find the first one that actually did in fact fit and I like.

I wish they would bring back the plastic snaps on hats!
Quote Reply
Re: About those Trucker Hats [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I always hated the plastic snap thing and prefer the buckle and strap. Looks classier.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Interesting, I always hated the plastic snap thing and prefer the buckle and strap. Looks classier.

classy and trucker hat should never be in the same thought....

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
I know I'm in a small club on this.. I don't really like trucker hats but I LOVE the plastic snap sizing thing on hats.

D'Kid tells me that the difference between a "Trucker" hat and a regular "Snap-Back" hat is the mesh ... both have the plastic snaps

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: About those Trucker Hats [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, he said he wishes those plastic straps that are on trucker hats were still on other ones. They have been replaces by the buckle and strap. I'm glad, those plastic straps on good hats always reminded me of trucker hats.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore a fitted trucker hat for IMTX, being fitted was awesome since the ice did not fall out of the back and did not get that weird tan from from the loop on the back of the adjustable caps. Have I worn it in public? No trucker hats look stupid, especially the ones like Luke wore in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: About those Trucker Hats [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:

D'Kid tells me that the difference between a "Trucker" hat and a regular "Snap-Back" hat is the mesh ... both have the plastic snaps

I haven't seen a source for a hat that had a plastic snap that didn't have the mesh in probably a decade.

They possibly exist but it seems everything went fitted for a decent hat I'd pay money for or the buckle on the freebie hats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
randymar wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:

I haven't seen a source for a hat that had a plastic snap that didn't have the mesh in probably a decade.

Snap = YES
Mesh = NO

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

The plastic straps unless you had it on the last one or two snaps only always stayed pretty much straight across the back.

The buckle and strap style always seem to make a U shape when out a little bit or if smaller you have a tassel hanging off the back.

In both cases, personally, I felt the plastic was much classier since it was cleaner as there was nothing hanging off and it was a straight line.

The buckle and strap kind always sort of seemed to me like trying to wear a size 40 pants when you are a 32 and just sucking up all the fabric with a belt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The trucker hat is the dunce cap of this age.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember as a kid I had a Hardee's trucker hat. It was brown mesh with an off white front with the old Hardee's logo on it. Doesn't get much more redneck than that. Interestingly, when I was raised a mason, I was given a lodge hat, which was also a trucker hat. All blue with blue mesh and front. Had some sort of string strap on the front over the brim to maybe hold things like a sign that says, "I'm a tool" or "what me worry?"

Quote Reply
Re: About those Trucker Hats [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:

Snap = YES
Mesh = NO

I did say decent hat I'd pay money for :)

But seriously I googled it and there isn't a single one.

10 to slightly more years ago if you walked into a store, say a bike shop and wanted a hat with a brand you liked it would be a normal snapback, now they are fitted. One out of the four I have owned (luckily only one I bought) didn't give me headaches and I don't even have a large head. Now the only way to get a snapback hat on it seems to be with a cartoon like font or sports team on it, or it is mesh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of the 100s of thousands of Ironman finishers each year I'd think that a percentage of them would gladly purchase a hat in that style. There's really no real controversy or copycatting here.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: About those Trucker Hats [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one reading this thread thinking how terrible headsweats visors or running meshcaps look to the people outside triathlon too?

Whatever floats your boat captain.
Quote Reply
Re: About those Trucker Hats [McBoyler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a fan of snap backs. Prefer a fitted cap. That said, I'm just glad they are not flat brim....ugh those things look terrible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trucker hats are the future of headwear :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next