Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Abnormal Mole Removal
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitch-

I had a dermatology appointment as part of an executive physical recently. They found a mole they didn't like, so removed it and did some testing on it. It came back 'moderately' abnormal (not cancerous, but these types of moles can become cancerous is the explanation I was given). They would like to remove more material around the area where the mole was originally removed. The mole is on my mid-inner thigh, and there will be several stitches. I am currently training for IMLP (23-Jul). My questions are:

1. If I do this before the race, how long am I likely to need to be off training? They are saying two days for exercise and one week for swimming, but I have a neighbor with an almost identical situation, and she took much longer to recover (she is not an athlete). Her mole may have been larger than mine, took eight stitches. The placement of the mole just seems worrisome for both running and cycling.

2. If there are any dermatologists here - what is the real risk in just waiting until August to get this thing removed. I perceive it to be quite low. I only spoke to a nurse, but she was uncomfortable with this course of action.

Thanks!

Eric

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Mole Removal [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it were me I would do a couple of monster days, including some huge runs, and then schedule surgery for that day or after then take the rest. This is in combo with peace of mind. Seems like the best solution in my eyes for me. Hope you heal up - sorry you have to go through it in the first place :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Hi Slowtwitch-

I had a dermatology appointment as part of an executive physical recently. They found a mole they didn't like, so removed it and did some testing on it. It came back 'moderately' abnormal (not cancerous, but these types of moles can become cancerous is the explanation I was given). They would like to remove more material around the area where the mole was originally removed. The mole is on my mid-inner thigh, and there will be several stitches. I am currently training for IMLP (23-Jul). My questions are:

1. If I do this before the race, how long am I likely to need to be off training? They are saying two days for exercise and one week for swimming, but I have a neighbor with an almost identical situation, and she took much longer to recover (she is not an athlete). Her mole may have been larger than mine, took eight stitches. The placement of the mole just seems worrisome for both running and cycling.

2. If there are any dermatologists here - what is the real risk in just waiting until August to get this thing removed. I perceive it to be quite low. I only spoke to a nurse, but she was uncomfortable with this course of action.

Thanks!

Eric

I'm having 4 moles removed in about 1 hour. They are on my back, so not quite the same thing. Anyhow, I can give you an idea of # of stitches, etc soon. They told me 2 weeks of no swimming because of the stitched. I don't believe that I will adhere to that (I know people will criticize that) as I intend to cover them with waterproof bandages. I will take a day or two off. I also don't plan to take any days off running/biking, but mine are on my back and not my leg. Even so, I don't think I'd take more than a day off for something like that. I've been through this before, and unless my memory is foggy, I don't remember it being a big deal at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a dermatologist but a family doctor. In our area you wait 4-6 months to see a dermatologist for a mole. So I take out moles. To remove a mole in its entirety they have to make an ellipse 3 times as long as the mole is wide. This is so the incision will close without puckering. So you should be able to see roughly how big an incision you will require. If you have stitches they usually stay in for a week. You can exercise with the stitches in but waiting a day or two is probably good. I tell people to consider it watertight after two days. Swimming in pool should be okay but open water I'd wait a week. On the other hand it won't do any harm to not swim for a week. I'd go with Thomas' advice. Do some big volume in the days leading up to this then take it easy for a while after. Risk of waiting is likely quite low. But there is always the outside chance there is some melanoma there which can kill you so why take the chance.
ericlambi wrote:
Hi Slowtwitch-

Thanks!

Eric

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Mole Removal [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
I'm having 4 moles removed in about 1 hour. They are on my back, so not quite the same thing. Anyhow, I can give you an idea of # of stitches, etc soon. They told me 2 weeks of no swimming because of the stitched. I don't believe that I will adhere to that (I know people will criticize that) as I intend to cover them with waterproof bandages. I will take a day or two off. I also don't plan to take any days off running/biking, but mine are on my back and not my leg. Even so, I don't think I'd take more than a day off for something like that. I've been through this before, and unless my memory is foggy, I don't remember it being a big deal at all.

That's a great way to get a nasty infection and also expose people in the pool to your wound.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 7, 17 13:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the real risk is getting cancer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had one done on my back, towards the inside of the right shoulder blade. Area cut out was approx 1.75 x 1.25 in, and it took 7 dissolvable sutures and 8 outside sutures with 6 metal clips. He gave me some tefla water proof bandages and said do nothing for two days, but on day 3 I could swim, bike and run, no lifting weights. I'm on day 10 currently and it's healing great. (FYI, it was done on a Wednesday and the following Saturday I ran a beach 5 k, just change bandage when done)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely post! I just had a cancerous melanoma removed from my calf Thursday. 4 inch long incision. As I was laying on my stomach while he was carving a huge hunk of my calf out I thought of all the times I laid like that in the sun trying to get nice tanned calfs. Fuck! This was as real as it gets for me. My doc must be very conservative because stitches don't come out for 10 days and he said no "exercise" for three weeks. It's really burst my bubble for being an outdoorsy type guy. I wouldn't want to have that surgery anywhere else on my body. Get it removed while it is not staged. Hell of a lot smaller incision. Can't image what a stage 2 looks or feels like. CANCER SUCKS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an abnormal cyst removed from my head - they shaved a patch and removed it, had ~5 stitches I believe.

The way I managed it: scheduled for Thursday late morning, got up and hit training hard Thursday morning. Took Friday off. Got back to biking Saturday afternoon (2hrs ez w/a bit of tempo, and technically 2 days as it was 48hrs), running on Sunday, and swimming by the following Friday (8 days).

No issues to speak of.

Had another smaller patch taken off of my shoulder, also req'd stitches. Had it done on a Friday, back in the water on Tuesday.

Should be a disclaimer - I was in high school, so adrenaline and drive were running high and common sense was running low!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Mole Removal [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you have an incision that big a different ball game. There are some places where stitches should be in longer than others. On the back because when you bend over I can put alot of tension on the stitches. If you have stitches over a joint where it bends etc. Sometimes the stitches can be under some tension (good docs try to avoid that but can't always) and better to have stitches in longer. We take a lot of stitches out that other people put in and sometimes we wait a little longer than the patient is initially instructed. It really sucks when something pops open.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a skin biopsy of my back which ended up being melanoma. I then needed a deep biopsy to make sure it had not spread, which it didn't. Definitely get it done ASAP.

I foolishly did any olympic tri later that week. Swimming was painful (but bearable) from the tension on the surgical wound. I don't think it effected by performance. In comparison, wounds from my bike crash (larger, but not nearly as deep) was worse regarding training/performance. Knowing what I know now, I shouldn't have done the tri. I work in infectious disease and open wound with open water is not a good idea. Once the wound is closed, you're fine to swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies everybody. I have it scheduled for the Monday after a HIM (in June). Obviously, that will be a very light week anyway. I was worried it could be longer than 1wk, but sounds like that most likely won't be the case. I'll just leave the appointment as-is. Thanks again.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, just my thoughts, and some very medical savvy people on here, but I wouldn't wait that long. My biopsy was reported to me on a Monday, they originally scheduled me for the following week, I begged to get in earlier. Doubt that anything would change in your timeframe, but, it was weighing heavily on me, and affecting my overall lifestyle. Leg is a lot different than back, I understand, but I would want it done sooner, and get back healing. Best of luck to you either way, and kudos for getting checked out! So much better to find things early.
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Mole Removal [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reviving this post because it was very helpful to me yesterday. Had a mole that changed, becoming elevated, in the last six weeks since my annual visit to the dermatologist. Reading this thread beforehand had me mentally prepared for biopsy/stitches if need be.

Out come was a diagnosis of actinic keratosis - the elevated one and six or seven others on my back. Instead of cutting and biopsy, they froze them.

From Clinical Advisor April 2019 "if an individual has 7 to 8 lesions, there is a 10% chance of malignant transformation of at least 1 lesion within 1 year".

I'm 64, and if your of such an age, see a doctor. Having them freeze all of spots at one time is cost effective.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Mole Removal [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:

From Clinical Advisor April 2019 "if an individual has 7 to 8 lesions, there is a 10% chance of malignant transformation of at least 1 lesion within 1 year"..

That's a pretty scary number. I see my derm very regularly and typically have ~20 AK's frozen off at each visit.
I've also had 4x basal cell and 1x squamous.
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Mole Removal [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should discuss field treatment with your derm using 5-Fluorouracil, imiquimod, or photodynamic therapy if you are having that many frozen each visit.
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Mole Removal [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Fluorouracil works pretty well but its torture to go through 2 months of peeling and healing. I prefer the "Blue Light" treatment that feels like fire ants on your face for 17 minutes but then it's over.

I've had dozens of incisions including a stage 2 melanoma. That one had to have a sentinel node biopsy along with the 25 stitches in my arm. Not fun and very scary. I also had to miss MiamiMan last year due to having just been stitched up the week prior. There's no way around it though, I'd have been dead a long time ago if it weren't for my dermatologist.

As for waiting I wouldn't have any problem waiting for a couple of months for a lesion that is only pre-cancerous. I've even put off a melanoma insitu until I got back from a month of skiing, had it scheduled the day I got back though.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Last edited by: Fuller: Jul 2, 19 16:29
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Mole Removal [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two months is way too long for 5fu treatment. If you go to calcipotriene/5fu combo, it’s only 4-7 days at twice daily
Quote Reply
Re: Abnormal Mole Removal [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll bring that up to my Doc next time I'm due for a face fry. They say that depression is a common side effect of the Fluorouracil treatment and I can see why. You don't want to be seen in public to start with.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply