Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score.
Quote | Reply
It may be helpful to have a sociogram of STers. In that way we all might know the cliques, those who are rather independent, those who seem welcome in all groups, etc.

Currently, the uninitiated might step in it with someone in a clique and just get buried by others in the clique. Not by reason but by ridicule without content.

ST is rather territorial: intellectually territorial, friend territorial and probably in other ways too. Intellectual territory has validity because if we can't explain our ideas we are not very relevant. We might be right but we are not going to carry the day.

On the other hand, there is the complaint about how forums and the internet bring out a less noble side in people. The bullies that pile on to maintain a strong clique with little more to offer than: your mama, spit out my coffee, wow just wow, etc.

Perhaps Alexa measurements could start tracking more insight full measurements beyond cliques and responses. Could we know how many responses really have a content component and not just a slamming with nothing offered to move the discussion along?

One of the reasons Facebook, forums, etc. might be the way they are is that we could be rewarding vitriol internet traffic rather than real discussion. It's as if internet discussion is still in a childish "Lord of the Flies" schematic rather than a more adult one.

A sociogram of STers would be worth a master's a degree. Which could be pursued by a doctoral degree to delve into the dynamic behind the sociogram.

PS Certainly a lack of bodily control by a group that wants to be known for their athleticism - spit out my coffee - really? Wow just wow.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
0/10
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused. Wut???

IT wrote:
It may be helpful to have a sociogram of STers. In that way we all might know the cliques, those who are rather independent, those who seem welcome in all groups, etc.

Currently, the uninitiated might step in it with someone in a clique and just get buried by others in the clique. Not by reason but by ridicule without content.

ST is rather territorial: intellectually territorial, friend territorial and probably in other ways too. Intellectual territory has validity because if we can't explain our ideas we are not very relevant. We might be right but we are not going to carry the day.

On the other hand, there is the complaint about how forums and the internet bring out a less noble side in people. The bullies that pile on to maintain a strong clique with little more to offer than: your mama, spit out my coffee, wow just wow, etc.

Perhaps Alexa measurements could start tracking more insight full measurements beyond cliques and responses. Could we know how many responses really have a content component and not just a slamming with nothing offered to move the discussion along?

One of the reasons Facebook, forums, etc. might be the way they are is that we could be rewarding vitriol internet traffic rather than real discussion. It's as if internet discussion is still in a childish "Lord of the Flies" schematic rather than a more adult one.

A sociogram of STers would be worth a master's a degree. Which could be pursued by a doctoral degree to delve into the dynamic behind the sociogram.

PS Certainly a lack of bodily control by a group that wants to be known for their athleticism - spit out my coffee - really? Wow just wow.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'm confused. Wut???

I'll translate.

"I am upset and hope to disparage ST because I post whatever inane ramblings come to mind, and they're often met with opposition by people who actually know what they're talking about. I hope to draw attention to myself with this thread like my mentor Dave."

Also, I'd really love the "Block User" feature to include new threads like this one rather than just responses to other threads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, its all Slowtwitch's fault. . . .
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'm confused. Wut???

I'll translate.

"I am upset and hope to disparage ST because I post whatever inane ramblings come to mind, and they're often met with opposition by people who actually know what they're talking about. I hope to draw attention to myself with this thread like my mentor Dave."

Also, I'd really love the "Block User" feature to include new threads like this one rather than just responses to other threads.

I love your posts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who/what is Alexa?

Is this the Amazon Alexa?

Serious question.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 7, 18 6:40
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alexa won the Olympic road race in '84.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:

I'll translate. ....[snip]

Absolutely nailed it!
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Alexa won the Olympic road race in '84.

I think you meant alexi ...

;^)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in general you're right. no disagreement with you. still, who defines these cohorts and what do these definitions mean? if by the "intellectually territorial" you mean those who feel their own writings have inherently more value not because of the content of their text, but the content of their resumes, yes, you have a point.

but if what you mean by "intellectually territorial" is the group of folks who value and honor science, then i suggest other groups: the "willfully ignorant". the "serial disagreers". the "self unreflectors".

here is a thought experiment: you present the other side's argument, as if you were advocating for that argument. the other side then tells you whether you have it right. if you don't, then you revise the argument until you do have it right. invite the other side to do the same.

the one who successfully executes this has the moral certainly, and probably the factual, upper hand.

those who just can't manage to express the other side's argument, regardless of how many tries, are serial disagreers and are incapable of self-reflection. they have earned the right to be shut out of public discourse. those who are able to voice the other side's argument better than the other side are the most valuable voices in public discourse.

engaging in that experiment might not be worthy of a masters thesis but would be more valuable to the forum participant.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to have a clique of size 1?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:

The problem with this is that describing most members' association with ST as clique oriented is shallow, one dimensional, and limiting in a way that pre-judges the outcome. The relationships might be more easily graphed using a Venn diagram where you somehow denote a strength of a link to a particular attribute.

IT wrote:

IT wrote:

Do you ever read back what you wrote just before posting, or is the irony here intentional?

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You all may have proven IT's point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:

Haha, I get it. Very thoughtful. also the thought pattern of someone who has been picked on.

The internet and corresponding anonymity allow regressive behaviors/thoughts to move more readily.
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This and other bullying/whinging threads make me think of the final scene in Falling Down where the key line is "You mean I'm the bad guy?". In the context of ST that would translate to: You mean I'm the snowflake?
A group I work with has an HR policy called Rate Your Mate in which all employees get to rate all others, peers, bosses, subordinates. That system has had a fabulous effect. Please Dan, can we implement some sort of rating system here? Those who get more than x% Troll or Snowflake ratings would be barred or perhaps relegated to a new Troll/Snowflake forum. Consequences are actually helpful!
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
can we implement some sort of rating system here?

i will tangibly consider that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is "IT" it, as in it? Or is it "I" "T" as in "information technology"?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Is "IT" it, as in it? Or is it "I" "T" as in "information technology"? Scott

I think IT = Indoor Triathlete b/c "Indoor Triathlete" is his signature line.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you should add a rating system because of one "serial disagreer."
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jan 7, 18 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Who/what is Alexa?

Is this the Amazon Alexa?

Serious question.

https://www.alexa.com/

Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [PennBen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PennBen wrote:
You all may have proven IT's point.

Possibly...

Quote Reply
Re: A sociogram of STers plus better measurements for Alexa score. [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
This and other bullying/whinging threads make me think of the final scene in Falling Down where the key line is "You mean I'm the bad guy?". In the context of ST that would translate to: You mean I'm the snowflake?
A group I work with has an HR policy called Rate Your Mate in which all employees get to rate all others, peers, bosses, subordinates. That system has had a fabulous effect. Please Dan, can we implement some sort of rating system here? Those who get more than x% Troll or Snowflake ratings would be barred or perhaps relegated to a new Troll/Snowflake forum. Consequences are actually helpful!
Cheers,
Jim

Actually, I think those exercises are detrimental to morale and the workplace. It's a form of authoritarianism where one is being forced to bend to the likes/dislikes of others.

It's hardly freeing and creative.

Often leads to what has been called "crab in the bucket" group dynamics. The fable is that it's useless to catch one crab and put it in a bucket or it will crawl out while you go back to catch more. However, if there are at least two crabs in a bucket then each will pull the others back into the bucket as they try to escape.

Quote Reply
delightful [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a rating system would be very accurate, which obviously would disrupt several posters narratives for themselves
Quote Reply

Prev Next