Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A perspective from one of my heros
Quote | Reply
http://seetherace.wordpress.com/...f-all-that-training/

Why I’ve Stepped Back From Racing and the Hidden Fees of All That Training

“We are what we repeatedly do.” – Aristotle
When I started to analyze the racing events I was doing, I uncovered some hidden costs that were never disclosed in the entry fees. A marathon/ultramarathon/ironman can range anywhere from $100-$700 but quickly increase if you need to travel, pay airfare and stay in a hotel. A monumental race like Race Across America is around $3,000 for the entry fee, but my out-of-pocket costs were closer to $20,000. In the beginning, the experiences were well worth it. I usually made some new friends, learned a little something about myself and added another finisher’s medal to my collection. But at some point, I started to realize the price of these events was more than just money. There were hidden fees for which I never wrote a check but still had to pay – things like time, energy, missing other family activities. When I began to add up everything it hit me: the price was more than I wanted to spend.
Everyone’s experience and journey is different and some might classify me as a quitter. But how many marathons do I have to run to prove I can run 26.2 miles without stopping? If running 50 marathons doesn’t prove the point, then I don’t think running 51 or even 100 would do the trick either. How about if I became an Ironman, would that do it? Apparently not, because I’ve done that too but still felt I had something left to prove. So I committed myself to something truly epic and entered the Western States 100 mile run. What if I ran 100 miles in less than 24 hours, surely that would be enough? Nope. Every time I crossed a finish line, the satisfaction would stick around for only a few days before I was out trying to find my next event. I kept having to upstage the previous race. How about riding a bicycle 200 miles nonstop? 508 miles? 3,000 miles? I did that too and was still left trying to satisfy the hunger.
I think pedaling a bicycle 3,000 miles in Race Across America finally gave me the time to come to terms with myself. I proved to myself that we can push our bodies and our minds to accomplish more than we imagine. We can chase and achieve our dreams. Now I feel I don’t need to keep proving it over and over. But for years, having to prove it over and over was part of the lure. After the race was over, the euphoria would fade and I was left feeling I needed to do it again. I needed to start training for my next event. I still had to convince myself I had what it takes. Just getting to the starting line of something like Race Across America required a focus so intense and selfish that most other areas of my life had to suffer. Ironmans/ultras/marathons all require a similar level of intense focus and training. Saying “Yes” to one thing meant saying “No” to something else and when I realized what I was missing and saying “No” to, the true cost of all that racing and training proved too much.
I love a good race and battling it out to the finish line. And I believe training and racing instills positive traits that carry over to other aspects of a successful life. But life must stay balanced. I don’t want to be the dad missing my son’s events because I’m married to work or constantly training for my next race. In the midst of Ironman training last year, I made it a point to schedule Saturdays around Dylan’s soccer games. I squeezed in rides before or after but was always there for the whole game. Same with baseball games and practice. When I had to ask myself which one to choose or which one took priority, I knew something was wrong. Why is missing my son’s soccer game to go for a bike ride even an option I’m considering?
I could justify it and say all that training gave me a healthier body. I absolutely need to exercise both the mind and body. For me, running is therapeutic. Yet, where is the point of diminishing returns? Exercising 45-60 minutes a day is going to give me a healthy body. Anything more is overdoing it. Using the minimum effective approach, if I need to boil water and water boils at 212 degrees, what do I gain by boiling water at 300 degrees? I’m wasting energy. And that’s what it came down to for me, I was wasting my time and energy training for so many long hours. The water already boiled. I already proved I could do it. I need about 45-60 minutes a day of exercise a day to maintain some level of health and fitness. The danger for me is when I try to convince myself the more the better. In this case, more is not necessarily better. Most often I just want to spend a few free minutes running in the mountains under the pines clearing my thoughts instead of worrying about who I’m chasing and who’s chasing me.

Heading out to clear the mind
I’m a creature of habit and routine and training can become an addiction. I’ve never used or been addicted to alcohol, nicotine or drugs (although Nicole and Dylan will say I’m addicted to Starbucks and Chipotle). But when running got to the point that I couldn’t say no to missing a training run or not doing a race, then I realized I had my own addiction problem. Sure, it might be a healthy addiction, but I’m not sure any addiction is all that healthy. Unable to say “No”, doing the same races over and over, year after year, made me feel like a slave. Races like Ironman are not merely races, they are lifestyles. Be prepared to sacrifice. Every time I signed up for a big race, it was not only me making a sacrifice, it was the entire family. They’re noble events and I’m glad I did them. Now we can move on. I don’t want it to be the thing that consumes some of the best years of our life. Now I’ll have the freedom to channel and focus some of that time and energy to invest in someone and something else.
For me, that investment is already paying off. Lately, hitting a couple baskets of tennis balls after work with Dylan is more rewarding that adding another finishing time to the list. Being at one of his events and watching him in his element is proving more rewarding than I could have ever imagined. At one of his recent swim meets while Nicole and I were in the stands and watching, more butterflies bounced around in my stomach as Dylan stepped up to his starting block than I’ve ever had at the start of an Ironman. We were so nervous for him. We watched and cheered, squeezed each others’ hands as he swam from one end to the other. Racing, he appears so relaxed. I’m up on my tip toes and my insides are in knots. We are hoping, no matter what, he’s going to finish happy and with a positive attitude and climb out of that pool with a smile dripping off his face. And that’s where I am these days. A 4 mile run together beats an 8 mile run alone. Playing a little tennis together after work and chasing down his shots is pure joy. Riding our bikes to the lake and watching Dylan fish and untangling his line brings more happiness than if were out by myself and training for my own event.
When I was younger, I would imagine crossing the finish line with my family in the stands as they proudly cheer me on. At some point the dream changed. Now I want to be the one cheering them on as they cross their own finish lines. Give it some time and maybe I’ll need to toe the start line again. I still love hitting a trail for a run, but if you don’t see me racing/pacing at some of the events, hopefully you’ll understand why

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I did not sign up for IMLT this year. This is why I am going in October with my families for 10 days to Disneyland. This is why I am going to Edmonton in a week with my wife for fun.
This is why I am watching the video I made for my parents who will not be with us much longer and all that is important in it is the family tree. Folks can ask why others do not support their
compulsive IM training, etc. But at a point, like Michael has found, who is one of the most athletic superstars I have ever met, he has found happiness. I remember being behind him
during RAAM in the middle of the desert in the 100 plus temps and he was crying like a baby. He lost his mother when she was young and the memories had boiled over. I am now
understanding as I am watching my Mother die.

For the young folks who wonder why I post back to some is it all worth it, this post by Michael says it all.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've been here long enough to know that Dan frowns upon posts that copy, in their entirety, articles from other websites. Give a brief summary and a link.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like triathlon is about balancing three sports -- life is about balancing family, friends, sports, health, careers, money, religion, community involvement, etc. or whatever your values are personally.

A lot of people including myself get out of alignment every once in awhile. We identify ourselves as having particular values in our life, but our daily actions do not match up with our identity. Sometimes you just need to re-calibrate things a bit.

----------------------------------------------------------------
my strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"All things in moderation. Including moderation."

How about Oscar Wilde for a hero?

While the intent of you post is altruistic, to me it's like you're wagging your finger in my face.

Another hero, William Blake, tells us that the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. Quid hoc sibi vult.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We all have different priorities. As long as you're comfortable with them who's to say they're wrong?

P.S. You can't boil water at 300F ..no mater how much heat you throw at it.
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker wrote:
We all have different priorities. As long as you're comfortable with them who's to say they're wrong?

But some sure seem to try, just a little more training or intensity work and I know I can go faster, and not get hurt. :o(

Is interesting to watch myself, and other friends as we get older change our focus on what is important in life.
And we tend to mellow out a little. :o)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Get older" is relative of course, and that's normal, not just from middle age on. All of our focuses (foci?) changed from early early days and kept changing. My wife and I are, as of a few days, ago empty-nesters. Feels weird and I fully expect my focus to change for the millionth time. You are right about the mellowing out observation.
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker wrote:

Sure you can, just gotta screw with ambient air pressure.
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
TriBiker wrote:

Sure you can, just gotta screw with ambient air pressure.

Right, we can't forget the ideal gas law: PV = nRT...it's such a useful law:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wise words
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Choose - live with consequences of choice - Reflect - Choose. Repeat.
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Choose - live with consequences of choice - Reflect - Choose. Repeat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that's a good read for a lot of you folks, but there's a lot of us who have already figured this out. Not just in racing/training, but in life in general.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
I think that's a good read for a lot of you folks, but there's a lot of us who have already figured this out. Not just in racing/training, but in life in general.

I just thought some might like to see how a top athlete has gone through the process. Michael is such an amazing person!!!

I feel lucky that I never have had to look back and wished I had spent more time with my kids growing up. I was always the joke of the christmas event at work on who
spent the least amount of time at their desk. Even as a manager I NEVER worked over 8 hours which pissed a lot of folks off. I just said it was not how many hours
you worked, it is what you got done. And mentally, the job was 24 hours a day. I worked to live, not lived to work!!!!

I have spent all week babysitting my various grandkids. (So great to be retired) Today is my second full day with my 3 month old grandson and 3 year old granddaughter. I had to change my training around,
like I got up at 3:30 am, so I could fit stuff in to be ready to babysit at 7. Is it fun changing diapers, feeding him every 2 hours, etc? Nope, but I would never miss these
opportunities to bond with the little ones.

10 days at Disneyland in Oct with them will be so much fun! Will be the first time in years and years of 10 days of no training. How will I survive? :o)

Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
You've been here long enough to know that Dan frowns upon posts that copy, in their entirety, articles from other websites. Give a brief summary and a link.

And others frown on people not minding their own business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I get the sentiment, I don't believe that it's an either/or.

We all do selfish things. It becomes a problem when our selfish activities (whether they be alcohol, drugs, training, whatever) take us away from our responsibility to give (whether it be at work, home, or in the community).

Yeah, I do IM. But it's just about all I do. I don't watch tv, go out to bars, play video games, watch a ton of sporting events, etc. Not because my training gets in the way, but because I have X hours for my selfish activities, and I think I get the most bang for my buck swimming, biking, and running.

I miss no holidays, no vacations, no sporting events. We don't plan trips around my training or racing.

IM training IS a lifestyle. That means it reflects years of work, years of training, and years of living that lifestyle. Yep, in the couple of weeks leading up to the race, it gets a little edgy, but there's even some play there.

Chris Harris
Last edited by: fe_dad: Aug 21, 14 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
klehner wrote:

And others frown on people not minding their own business.

Ah, the irony.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When a child is born, so is a grandparent.
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLACKSHEEP wrote:
When a child is born, so is a grandparent.

Yes, and there is NOTHING better in life than being a grandparent. (Maybe better is better a great grandparent.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Opportunity cost is nothing new.
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Especially useful if you want to enter a discussion about how much tire pressures change due to changes in temperature (providing you remember that T is the absolute temperature).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny timing that you posted this now, as I am probably looking at my last race where I will be laser focused and dedicated to doing what I can to improve myself every single day. I think it has really hit me more than ever this year that I am never going to be happy with what I have achieved in sport. So far this season I have raced every distance from sprint to 70.3 and haven't lost a race yet, including a sprint national championship (well, I won my AG but I still count it as a win since I wasn't racing the other age groups and was by myself the entire race off the front of the first wave). Yet, as I look back on this season I have been very disappointed with every race. Unbelievable! There is always something: my run wasn't quite as fast as I wanted, I had a brake rub on the bike and only won the sprint by 2:30 when it should have been more, I fell apart on the back half of my run on this local 70.3 and only won by 8 minutes, I had no energy on that olympic distance race and only won by a couple minutes with a 19:xx swim and a 57:xx bike split, I just won my AG national championship by a good margin but it really sucked because I didn't win overall... It is really stupid when I look back and there is clearly no way I am ever going to be happy with my results if I put this much effort into racing. Just like you I will be going to Edmonton in a few days, the goal was to go there and win (that's my goal at every race whether realistic or not), and I will still do everything in my power to win, but after this race the wifey and I plan to have a second kid and it will be getting about that time when I will start having to take my little girl to her gymnastics class, or swim team, or soccer practice, or whatever she wants to do. I am actually looking forward to it, just going out for a workout when I have time for it and seeing how it goes with no real plan and no urgent need to improve before my next A race. Don't get me wrong, I will still train a few hours a week and I will still show up on Saturday or Sunday to the local sprint with every intention of pushing myself to the limit to try to win (actually I will probably race more frequently since I won't be worried about how it fits into my training plan), but I feel pretty confident I will be more satisfied with my results when I haven't dedicated so much effort and time into the preparation. I really think it will improve my enjoyment of the sport. So yeah, great read and thanks for posting, it makes me feel even more confident about my plans for the future. And I'll see you in Edmonton.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [bilmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bilmas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Especially useful if you want to enter a discussion about how much tire pressures change due to changes in temperature (providing you remember that T is the absolute temperature).

Great point: you have to remember to add that 273.18 degrees to go from centigrade to kelvin:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: A perspective from one of my heros [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tulkas wrote:
It's funny timing that you posted this now, as I am probably looking at my last race where I will be laser focused and dedicated to doing what I can to improve myself every single day. I think it has really hit me more than ever this year that I am never going to be happy with what I have achieved in sport. So far this season I have raced every distance from sprint to 70.3 and haven't lost a race yet, including a sprint national championship (well, I won my AG but I still count it as a win since I wasn't racing the other age groups and was by myself the entire race off the front of the first wave). Yet, as I look back on this season I have been very disappointed with every race. Unbelievable! There is always something: my run wasn't quite as fast as I wanted, I had a brake rub on the bike and only won the sprint by 2:30 when it should have been more, I fell apart on the back half of my run on this local 70.3 and only won by 8 minutes, I had no energy on that olympic distance race and only won by a couple minutes with a 19:xx swim and a 57:xx bike split, I just won my AG national championship by a good margin but it really sucked because I didn't win overall... It is really stupid when I look back and there is clearly no way I am ever going to be happy with my results if I put this much effort into racing. Just like you I will be going to Edmonton in a few days, the goal was to go there and win (that's my goal at every race whether realistic or not), and I will still do everything in my power to win, but after this race the wifey and I plan to have a second kid and it will be getting about that time when I will start having to take my little girl to her gymnastics class, or swim team, or soccer practice, or whatever she wants to do. I am actually looking forward to it, just going out for a workout when I have time for it and seeing how it goes with no real plan and no urgent need to improve before my next A race. Don't get me wrong, I will still train a few hours a week and I will still show up on Saturday or Sunday to the local sprint with every intention of pushing myself to the limit to try to win (actually I will probably race more frequently since I won't be worried about how it fits into my training plan), but I feel pretty confident I will be more satisfied with my results when I haven't dedicated so much effort and time into the preparation. I really think it will improve my enjoyment of the sport. So yeah, great read and thanks for posting, it makes me feel even more confident about my plans for the future. And I'll see you in Edmonton.

Glad you took his post this way since his road might help others, like you maybe.

Yes, I have been in the Type A mode that no matter what I did, it was not good enough, then I said why.

An example of how I have mellowed. We have worlds in a week. This is my A race for the season. So I should be training like mad. Well, my kids needed help with babysitting. So instead of swimming my normal hour per day this week, I am only able to get in 30 minutes so I can be ready when they come at 5 am. I was sitting in bed last night at my normal 6 pm bedtime asking what do I do. This is going to screw my swim and look at the waste. I then quickly said how many grandparents get the chance to babysit for a week their grandkids? They just love to come be with me. I then turned off the light and said I am going to Edmonton to have fun with my wife, and be with friends. I know I am not good enough to win, so who cares. Now, I am going to try and have some great runs, but after than, boo.

So would love to talk with you. I will be a old tall skinny guy. I will have my IMLT jacket on. I always wear a white hat with the white tail.

ENJOY our kids! They are gone in a flash.

Do some stroller races with them. My grandkids LOVE it when I push them in a race.

Congrads on your abilities. They will be there in 15 years when you kids are grown. You can be one of these guys I see that come into the sport from now where and kick butt since their legs are not gone.

Quote Reply

Prev Next