Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A look back at Kona #1. 1981 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Priceless. Thanks Monty for the read!!

Since you refer to ABC coverage a number of times, I would love to watch this. Is this available online anywhere? I found only some local TV coverage in youtube..

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where exactly was the banyan tree where you cramped? Is it still there?

Great story. Glory days!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Oct 13, 17 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember if it was the 1st Kona race, but I seem to remember the funniest photo from the sport from Hawaii. I think back then there was no "time cut off" (or atleast not to the point where you were taken off the course), and if I remember it correctly it was a picture of a guy finishing the race reading the newspaper article about the race results he was still in. I thought it was pretty cool and just how epic an event it was. (I'm trying to find the picture).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: A look back at Kona #1. 1981 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where exactly was the banyan tree where you cramped? Is it still there? //

Last I looked it was there, on the final little road before you turn onto Alli drive, you go out and in. on that road a bunch now I believe. The stories that old tree could tell, bet the old king K even pissed on it a time or two.
Quote Reply
Re: A look back at Kona #1. 1981 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 if I remember it correctly it was a picture of a guy finishing the race reading the newspaper article about the race results he was still in. //

Don't remember that one, but do recall a bunch of us getting up the morning after to do the all you can eat buffet at the king kam, and watching old Walt Stack come in and finish while we were lined up. He did about 27 hours or so, so must have been about 9 to 10AM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well. That's f-ing awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Where exactly was the banyan tree where you cramped? Is it still there? //

Last I looked it was there, on the final little road before you turn onto Alli drive, you go out and in. on that road a bunch now I believe. The stories that old tree could tell, bet the old king K even pissed on it a time or two.

Hualalai Rd between Ali'i and Kuakini? Uncle Billy's on one side and the farmers market parking lot and the library on the other side?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I see that he got 17th, pretty cool. Do you remember what kind of swimmer he was back then? Kim and I were in the lead group of 4 in 55;10 with one guy off the front in 51+. It was a freakish slow swim in February, real waves would actually break on the course, although that day it was just the winter currents.

The guy that won the swim was apparently the 5th fastest guy in the world in the 1500 and he had a wicked fast turnover for the OW, a precursor to todays swimmers and their turnovers. He was gone from the gun and I always wondered how fast the guys around us were in the pool.No doubt he would be a 47 guy on todays course in October. Kim and I were just ok, not national caliber or anything like that, but we knew the ocean and I had done a ton of lifeguard racing by then too.Molina was there and he had a 16+ 1650 as I recall but he was off the back of our group a couple minutes. Maybe your buddy was near us?

Somewhere there are splits for that race, hand written on a blank piece of paper. But I know just from mine that they made some mistakes, as I have the actual footage from wide world of sports that shows Kim and I coming out together in 55 minutes. I think ironman has them on their site somewhere, but finding them is like finding Waldo, they don't make it easy..
Unfortunately I couldn’t find my typed splits for the entire field in the office today. But I had a couple of beers after work with Tom and he remembered you and the other lifeguards that went over there early to train. He thought his swim was around 1:01 so probably not in the lead swim group with you. He said he biked a 6 hr ride (with weigh in breaks) and ran a 4 hr marathon so finished right in the 11 hour range. Also when he finally saw and passed you at the tree when you cramped up he actually thought you were just taking a nap! You guys that pioneered this sport are the BAMF’s of all time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this was the first, I believe Frank Day raced the first and started the second. I saw the bike he road for the first IM at his home.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: A look back at Kona #1. 1981 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hualalai Rd between Ali'i and Kuakini? Uncle Billy's on one side and the farmers market parking lot and the library on the other side?
I think that is the road and the tree would be on the town side of that road. It was the last road you could go out of town on from Alli drive before actually getting stuck on the road through town. Maybe a gas station at the top of the road?
Quote Reply
Re: A look back at Kona #1. 1981 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
If this was the first, I believe Frank Day raced the first and started the second. I saw the bike he road for the first IM at his home.

Dave,

Monty is referencing the first race in Kona on the Big Island not the first ever Ironman that occurred on Oahu. Frank never raced at Kona.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: A look back at Kona #1. 1981 [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave,

Monty is referencing the first race in Kona on the Big Island not the first ever Ironman that occurred on Oahu. Frank never raced at Kona.

That is why I asked the way I asked. I assumed that but thought I would ask anyways

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next