Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 1st ride posted
Quote | Reply
All this talk about how aero our positions are/aren't is a ton of fun. And the thread with previous race power and speed is also good. However I would like to see something a little different...

I suggest we have a thread where riders post there distance over 20km on an out and back course. Who can "average" the highest speed for this duration.

A few rules:

1) Should have a GPS link to verify (Strava, connect, etc.).
2) course should be as flat as possible, with minimum curves.
3) 10km out and back.

4) Actual avg speed is not the measure will be looking at, to nullify wind as much as possible the average speed is determined by averaging the section with the wind, and the section without. So if you averaged 30kmh into the wind for 3minutes longer on the out section then you average 35kmh on the back section your "average" speed would be the average of the two, 32.5kmh. This would be higher then your actual ride average, but would be similar to the average you would have achieved had you rode 20min out and 20minutes back.
I think this would help normalize for wind. However it would still be best to do it on a wind free day.

5) looking for a very achievable average for almost everyone, and one that is easy to do on any given day. So 200watts +/- 5 watts seems like a good goal. Important to keep this equal for both legs.

And of course a report on equipment, position (with picture) and conditions would be wanted.

Anyone else think this could be fun?
Last edited by: Triagain2: May 22, 15 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This does sound interesting/fun, although I'm genuinely not sure if I can find a suitable route near me :(

It's the reason that I only ever do CP20 tests on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few curves won't hurt. However I think a rolling course might be okay, big climbs will likely not be ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm out :) I can't stand riding that easy(150w = mentally painful)
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow.
At 150watts yesterday my heart rate was below 110Bpm. It was crazy easy, but I could still do it for an hour. And for this exercise a slippery guy like you would be riding at the wattage for less than 40min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the thing, the only semi traffic free places to ride are twisty and hilly country roads.

I've tried to find something similar to include in my rides for this very purpose - to try to get a rough handle on my aero efficiency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest we up it to 200 Watts. 150 Watts is difficult to maintain for most of us, and the areo differences at 200 Watts vs 150 Watts will be a little more pronounced.
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fellow West Yorkshire man here, even further over into the Pennines by Holmfirth. I probably couldn't ride much more than a couple of miles without stopping if I aimed for 150W AP without allowing for some big plus and minuses and a large VI for the ride.

But I do like the idea! If you expanded it to allow multi lap routes there are a couple of business parks that I can go around and around in where 150W would keep me moving at a fair rate. But if you are effectively looking to replicate the Virtual Elevation test protocol and insist on 20km I'm gonna struggle!!
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be fine with that.

I just did not want to exclude anyone that would find 200watts too hard. I am sure there are not many, but just in case.

I think those attempting this should also keep the course similar on each attempt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just keep the course similar for yourself. That way you may not be able to make significant comparison to others here, you can compare it to yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just teasing the idea out.
Multiple small laps would be alright but your average may not reflect your true speed if you spend more time on the headwind section... On calm days it won't be an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:
I suggest we up it to 200 Watts. 150 Watts is difficult to maintain for most of us, and the areo differences at 200 Watts vs 150 Watts will be a little more pronounced.

Oh please. Typical ST BS. As if a strong rider can't hold 150 watts because it's too easy. I've seen pro road cyclists with presumably 350-450 watt FTPs out doing recovery spins ("walking the bike") at 15 mph, likely doing less than 150 watts. On the other hand, you also might be surprised at how many triathletes have FTPs well under 200 watts. I know a lot of women that belong to a tri club and from extrapolating the FTPs that I do know, I doubt a single one of them has an FTP over 200. They tend to not say much about it on ST because of all the people shouting about how high their FTP is, but that's reality.

Give me a break.
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd incorporate a w/kg metric instead, like 2.5. 200W to a small female is very different than 200W to a large male. I'd weigh yourself right before ride and back into a watt requirement. That is more useful information.
Last edited by: 3Aims: May 20, 15 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe have a female and male version? W/kg will not matter as much on a flat course. I think the OP is looking more for W/CdA in this test hence the reason for the same wattage.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is why I set it at 150.

however a 150 for females and 200 for males noted in a reply may be a good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watts per kg will not matter here.

We are looking for speed at X watts on flat course.

People could do a trial with their road bike, with their tri bike, with their race gear, on a unicycle, etc. And see how 150/200 watts translates to speed.
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all you guys that say 150W is painful

I averaged 145W on the Half at Triple T and had the 16th fastest bike split :)

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/779252028

jaretj

Edit: I'll probably do the 150 watts on a flat road tomorrow...my guess...20 to 21 mph
Last edited by: jaretj: May 20, 15 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you weigh?
Height?
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrad02 wrote:
Maybe have a female and male version?

Great now triequal is going to protest this thread, good job!

This seems neat, everything near me is rolling hills so could be a pain but the GF just found a paved rails to trails section she likes riding on I could maybe try the tri bike on that and just split off from her for a bit. The road crossings could throw that off though hmm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
144 lbs
63.5"
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
For all you guys that say 150W is painful

I averaged 145W on the Half at Triple T and had the 16th fastest bike split :)

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/779252028

jaretj

Edit: I'll probably do the 150 watts on a flat road tomorrow...my guess...20 to 21 mph

I will create a thread for you to post it in.
I think I would average 18.5mph at that wattage on tri bike with out aero helmet and training wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Bruizer wrote:

Oh please. Typical ST BS. As if a strong rider can't hold 150 watts because it's too easy. I've seen pro road cyclists with presumably 350-450 watt FTPs out doing recovery spins ("walking the bike") at 15 mph, likely doing less than 150 watts. On the other hand, you also might be surprised at how many triathletes have FTPs well under 200 watts. I know a lot of women that belong to a tri club and from extrapolating the FTPs that I do know, I doubt a single one of them has an FTP over 200. They tend to not say much about it on ST because of all the people shouting about how high their FTP is, but that's reality.

Give me a break.

Why don't we do both then. I'll give us more data to work with. Anyone can do one or the other or both.
Quote Reply
Re: A fun exercise in aero efficiency. 20km at 150watts +/- 5 [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
TriBrad02 wrote:
Maybe have a female and male version?

Great now triequal is going to protest this thread, good job!

This seems neat, everything near me is rolling hills so could be a pain but the GF just found a paved rails to trails section she likes riding on I could maybe try the tri bike on that and just split off from her for a bit. The road crossings could throw that off though hmm

DOH! We can have equal slots?

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a few 45+ AG women that do well locally on the bike with an FTP of 180
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
150 watts is difficult?? I love those days. Recovery spins are the greatest!!

Go out and stay in the small ring. Come back to see is averaged 130 watts. Love it!!

Running too! Easy jogging day at 2-3min per mile slower than race pace.

I don't understand people who can't go easy. It's.... Easy!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next