Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A TIP FROM EMILIO: HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT
Quote | Reply
Many of us have arrived at a race venue the day before the race and have wisely gotten in the water to test the temperature and, well, to get in a swim workout.
The next morning your wetsuit is still wet and you will quickly realize it very difficult to get into it. It takes forever to put on and you end up having overstretched stretched wetsuit that is not properly sitting against your body or aligned properly along your limbs. There are a few ways you can still put on a wet wetsuit without much trouble at all. These are proven to work with T1 Wetsuits for sure, and with most other brands as well.

1. Put it on in the water: Put it on in knee-to-waist deep water. Once get it on up to your waist, submerse yourself and slip into the top.
2. Put in on in the shower: with your body wet and water flowing down the inside of the wetsuit as you would normally put in on.
3. Roll it on. Turn the wetsuit inside out and roll it on starting at the ankles. Imagine someone filming you removing the wetsuit, then play the film backwards.
4. Use Plastic bags: On dry land, use a plastic bag big enough to cover your foot to your ankle (a grocery bag works fine too). Put on one foot, slip the wetsuit leg on, then remove the bag and repeat on your other, then your hands.

As always I welcome your comments and questions.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoy these tips and have a question. I get the wetsuit on and it feels like everything is in place, then I swim a hundred yards or so and everything shifts. For races with a warm up, this isn't a big deal, because I just go back to the shore, make adjustments, and start the race. I do have problems in races where there isn't a warm up, though, or where the only warm up is swimming to the starting line.

Will getting the wetsuit wet then putting it on take care of that problem?
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I enjoy these tips and have a question. I get the wetsuit on and it feels like everything is in place, then I swim a hundred yards or so and everything shifts. For races with a warm up, this isn't a big deal, because I just go back to the shore, make adjustments, and start the race. I do have problems in races where there isn't a warm up, though, or where the only warm up is swimming to the starting line.

Will getting the wetsuit wet then putting it on take care of that problem?

It sounds like your suit doesn't fit you well and/or you're not actually seating it properly before you start swimming. But "everything shifts" is really vague, perhaps worth clarifying what you mean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
Many of us have arrived at a race venue the day before the race and have wisely gotten in the water to test the temperature and, well, to get in a swim workout.
The next morning your wetsuit is still wet and you will quickly realize it very difficult to get into it. It takes forever to put on and you end up having overstretched stretched wetsuit that is not properly sitting against your body or aligned properly along your limbs. There are a few ways you can still put on a wet wetsuit without much trouble at all. These are proven to work with T1 Wetsuits for sure, and with most other brands as well.

1. Put it on in the water: Put it on in knee-to-waist deep water. Once get it on up to your waist, submerse yourself and slip into the top.
2. Put in on in the shower: with your body wet and water flowing down the inside of the wetsuit as you would normally put in on.
3. Roll it on. Turn the wetsuit inside out and roll it on starting at the ankles. Imagine someone filming you removing the wetsuit, then play the film backwards.
4. Use Plastic bags: On dry land, use a plastic bag big enough to cover your foot to your ankle (a grocery bag works fine too). Put on one foot, slip the wetsuit leg on, then remove the bag and repeat on your other, then your hands.

As always I welcome your comments and questions.

I would make #4, #1. SOOOOOO easy to put on with a bag.
M~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#5.a allow a lot more time than you think it will take. a lot more.
#5.b do not panic

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plastic bags are a game changer.

I need the "how to find your wetsuit after you store it for the winter" tip. I may have to rent one for a race in 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Plastic bags are a game changer.

I need the "how to find your wetsuit after you store it for the winter" tip. I may have to rent one for a race in 2 weeks.

LOL, we just cleaned out the garage and found my missing wetsuit from 3 years ago in the bottom of a box of baby clothes (?!?). I now have two wetsuits, unfortunately the same size, would have been nice to have one for first race race of the season size and another for last race of the season size.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I do not necessarily think you are in the wrong size, but that might have some relation to what you are experience. What kind of wetsuit is it? Make and model?

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
Hmmm, I do not necessarily think you are in the wrong size, but that might have some relation to what you are experience. What kind of wetsuit is it? Make and model?

I wear a sleeveless Blueseventy Reaction. I am a woman, and it was the only thing I could find that fit my chest and shoulders without being too big through the stomach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Emilio wrote:

I wear a sleeveless Blueseventy Reaction. I am a woman, and it was the only thing I could find that fit my chest and shoulders without being too big through the stomach.

Got it. I would ask Blue70 about your situation as they might have some fit advice or a tip on how to avoid the need to readjust. If you ever want to give our T1 Wetsuits a try, let me know. One of the many good things about it is that you can buy separates and different size of top than bottom, to customize your fit better.

LEARN ALL ABOUT T1 WETSUITS

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting it on wet probably won't help, but putting it on and having someone poor a large amount of water down your neck might help. I often put my suit on, go into the water and scoop water in through he neck. I shift things around to the right place and then stand up. All the water drains out the legs and the suit is now right where it should be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where does pouring an entire bottle of vegetable oil over your head before putting your wetsuit on fall? Has worked well for me for years.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
would have been nice to have one for first race race of the season size and another for last race of the season size.

I have the same suit in a M/T and S/T. S/T is for when I'm at race weight. Too bad I haven't worn it since 2013.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: HOW TO PUT ON A WET WETSUIT [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what you do in your bedroom is your business.

I've found bread loaf bags work better than the usual plastic grocery bags. Martin's rolls bags are great too cause they're a little thicker but not as long as a loaf bag. Wow, when I read that after typing, it sounds like something that should be on Cinemax.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply