Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
AWA line-cutting email
Quote | Reply
I posted this in the Austin 70.3 thread, but I think it deserves general scrutiny. I got an email about AWA benefits at Austin that included this obnoxious paragraph:

"We've set up a fast pass check in line in the Athlete Check-in area located at the Travis County Expo center. If there is a line, simply look for the AWA flags, jump to the front of the line or to the appropriate table and watch all the other athletes - who are not AWA - wish they were AWA! We hope the fast pass line will help speed you through the check in process and give you more time to prepare for the big event on Sunday."

So the primary benefit of being AWA is getting to be a dick and have everyone hate you. At check in today there was no AWA flag. No separate AWA line. Apparently I was just supposed to cut to the front. No way am I going to do that. How absurd!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Re: AWA line-cutting email [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they are still figuring out the AWA thing. In Raleigh, they had nothing set up until later in the day.....which then became a piece of carpet and a balloon. In Haines City, it was an 8.5x11 piece of paper on a table. In Choo, I didn't see anything....but I registered early and there was no line. We were supposed to get an early entry pass to the reception, mine was MIA. They said your race bib will me marked AWA (I really dont care about this)....but I did notice mine wasnt. It was in the 70.3's I did. I still think it is a good thing to reward loyalty, but they should tighten things up. Agree the comment in the paragraph is a little rude.
Quote Reply
Re: AWA line-cutting email [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You get the privileged of having a lower race number at some events and race in a location not where some of your AG competition is.

I will say, if I was AWA at Steelhead, I would have gone 1 minute faster in my race as I would probably have not gotten disoriented and missed my rack. We'll see what special benefits I get next year.

I wonder if there is a AWA registration line at Kona?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMCHOO there was a separate table for AWA so no need to cut in line. If there wasn't an AWA table at your race, that appears to be a miss as I believe they are trying to avoid the scenarios where you would have to cut in front of a bunch of people that do not know why you are cutting.

Personally, AWA doesn't do it for me as I prefer to remain low key with no separate line, swim cap, bib, etc. However, I get what they are trying to do and it is no cost to me so good on them. As they continue to evolve the program I only see it as a positive being someone that races to compete and personally like having ways to compare myself against others. What I would really like to see is for them to work this into the start list so that it is easy to scope out your competition, look at past results, etc. Similar to what Athlinks does.
Quote Reply
Re: AWA line-cutting email [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a low number with a tiny AWA logo on it... Which I guess can count as a benefit in terms of people on the course being impressed (If that is a benefit)? But if you do 2 or more WTC races per year, it is likely you are also AWA and therefore not impressed, and the once-and-done'rs will have no idea what the low number or logo means.

I am definitely against an AWA wave at the front. If you have two groups of people racing for slots starting at vastly different times and racing in different conditions it is not a fair race. And it does not necessarily benefit the AWA athlete who misses out on having 1000 mini-drafts as they pass people on the bike. Then again, It would certainly be helpful to run earlier in the day when it is cooler. Either way, gotta keep the age groups together.

I did like the separate AWA bib list and the AG-sorted bib list (with the low AWA bib numbers interspersed) because it makes it easy to check out who is likely to be the fast competition.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I would die laughing if I was in line, and someone rolled up to the front and said "It's okay...Ace Ventura...All World Athlete."
Quote Reply
Re: AWA line-cutting email [songmak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you're crunched for time, the head of the line bonus is great. IM Wisconsin has a huge line, saved myself an easy hour +. I suck at these so I'll take the free bump in line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I posted this in the Austin 70.3 thread, but I think it deserves general scrutiny. I got an email about AWA benefits at Austin that included this obnoxious paragraph:

"We've set up a fast pass check in line in the Athlete Check-in area located at the Travis County Expo center. If there is a line, simply look for the AWA flags, jump to the front of the line or to the appropriate table and watch all the other athletes - who are not AWA - wish they were AWA! We hope the fast pass line will help speed you through the check in process and give you more time to prepare for the big event on Sunday."

So the primary benefit of being AWA is getting to be a dick and have everyone hate you. At check in today there was no AWA flag. No separate AWA line. Apparently I was just supposed to cut to the front. No way am I going to do that. How absurd!

You don't really jump to the front of the line. There's a separate line/table for AWA. Maybe it won't be setup until tomorrow. At least that's how I've seen it done at other races.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I didn't make the rule.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you sound to me like an AWA bronze member..... as an AWA gold member I am going to cut the cutting line all up in your face.... suck it bronzie!

RowToTri wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My problem is that it is even needed.

Why are they giving / why do we tolerate such shitty service that cutting in line is needed?

Maybe get enough people to process check-ins in a timely fashion, as radical as it sounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear AWA athletes will be able to pee in the changing tent next year as an added benefit.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: AWA line-cutting email [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
My problem is that it is even needed.

Why are they giving / why do we tolerate such shitty service that cutting in line is needed?

Maybe get enough people to process check-ins in a timely fashion, as radical as it sounds.

I usually tolerate it because the people who check me in are volunteers...and they keep the cost of my entry fee down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really get what we are suppose to scrutinize here? I completely get what IM is doing. Their goal is to get more people to race. What better way to do that then create a way to give priority to those that race more, and then wave it in the face of those that don't. It's a pretty good idea, really.

I freakin love the AWA benefits of the first AG wave. When I went to check in at the last race, there was no line at all, so it didn't make a difference, but I would have definitely take advantage if there was.

-----

"im the one guy who says dont force the stupid people to be quiet i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Re: AWA line-cutting email [tridiego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridiego wrote:
I don't really get what we are suppose to scrutinize here? I completely get what IM is doing. Their goal is to get more people to race. What better way to do that then create a way to give priority to those that race more, and then wave it in the face of those that don't. It's a pretty good idea, really.

Hope it helps newcomers realize what a shitty deal they get as a first and never again timer....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lessee.... stand in line in the heat in Henderson... orrrrrr.... go to the front of the line.

Go in wave 3 and avoid the crowded bike course?

Hard choices /sarcasm

Haters gonna hate. I could give a shit if another participant has a problem with it
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 24, 14 21:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there was a separate AWA line I would totally use it. There is no way I was going to walk up to the person in the front of the line, step in front of them and be like, "sorry, all-world athlete here".

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
InstagramFacebook
Quote Reply
Re: AWA line-cutting email [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
tridiego wrote:

Hope it helps newcomers realize what a shitty deal they get as a first and never again timer....

Yeah, well it won't, because as it has been stated all over this board a million times, there is no competition. Plus, newcomers likely have no clue what AWA is and if they get bitter over having separate lines, I am sure they have a ton of other things they bitch about on a a daily basis. But please let's not recreate that thread here. The point is, while some may not agree with the AWA initiative, it works because it plays on basic human behaviors.

-----

"im the one guy who says dont force the stupid people to be quiet i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
If there was a separate AWA line I would totally use it. There is no way I was going to walk up to the person in the front of the line, step in front of them and be like, "sorry, all-world athlete here".

I am with ya here. Not sure I would either.

-----

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridiego wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

That's not how Silverman worked, but you did go to a different table at the head of the line.

I have to wonder at the folks that bought AWA race kits though.... that is over the top IMO. Saw 2 or 3 at the last 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: AWA line-cutting email [MCSLC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MCSLC wrote:
I hear AWA athletes will be able to pee in the changing tent next year as an added benefit.

Oh shit, +1
Quote Reply
Re: AWA line-cutting email [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
Oh shit

That is only for Platinum AWA Athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridiego wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

When I got out of the car today at the Austin race site, a guy immediately told me that the line for check in was over an hour. He was probably right. It was freakin' loooong line. I'm not big on the AWA thing and I've never done the line cutting before when the wait hasn't been that long. But this was ridiculous and I thought I'd give it a try and see what happened.

I walked up to the front and there was a big AWA table with people that looked like they were running it right there. I asked if that's where AWA athletes sign in and they said no, and they had no idea where. Really? WTF? So I turned to the normal registration table that was 2 feet to my left and the lady said she signs me in right here, right now.

It was awkward, but it only took about 20 seconds and was great to not have to wait in a ridiculous line. So yeah, why is there such a bad line in the first place? Ironman should work on that. It was a total bottleneck just at that one first desk. And yeah, there should be a separate table so the regular folks don't feel like they are getting cut in on.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's talk real benefits: I read that gold members would get early registration to popular races like IMAZ. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?
Quote Reply
Re: AWA line-cutting email [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Let's talk real benefits: I read that gold members would get early registration to popular races like IMAZ. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Confirmed.

Quote | Reply
Out on the Queen K beyond the airport we saw a group of 5 or 6 riding together - all wearing the full AWA kit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next