Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AMA-Take the Lake Extreme!
Quote | Reply
This is all mostly in jest! Trying to drum up support for my favorite race!

Race Details:
Date: September 4th, 2017
Order of Events: Swim, Bike, Kayak, Run
Time: 6:30am

This event was started a long time ago with a swim across Lake Waccamaw. The route is from Dale's Seafood(the only restaurant) to the dam. If you swim straight it is a 4 mile swim. Lake Waccamaw is a bay lake. One of a few natural lakes in SE NC. At it's deepest it is 10ft deep but most of the lake is only 8ft deep. Within 300 yards of shore is is walkable. In the early 2000's Columbus County gathered around this event and expanded it to include a walk/run, bike, and a kayak. The goal was to encircle the lake with each event. However, passage over the dam has not been consisent so equal distances have been established. On Labor Day weekend the fitness challenges start with a run on Saturday. Then the kayak and bike take place on Sunday and the traditional Labor Day Swim on Monday. A few years after that started a group of guys go together and took part in all four in one day and thus the Xtreme was born. This race has traditionally taken place on the Saturday before Labor Day weekend. This year it was moved to Labor Day to make better use of the volunteers on the lake.

About the Race
Swim: 4 (3.87)miles straight across the lake:

Bike 15 Miles

Kayak 14 Miles
No Photo here. Follow the edge of the lake all the way around

Run 15 Miles

This is a very grassroots race. There is nothing special going on. There aren't a lot of people here doing it. It is you against the lake and the stopwatch. The swim course is marked from one side of the lake to the other. Each bouy is a kids hoppity-ball. There are no timing mats, no timing chips, and no hoopla.

For the swim there are rescue boats in the water but the hardest part of this whole race is getting a good friend to kayak with you across the lake while you swim along. It's a lot like asking someone to help you move. It is a test of a friendship. I'm lucky enough to have had the same kayaker for 3 years.

Race Re-Cap
We* (important detail) start the race at exactly 6:32. No horn, no buzzer, just alright guys, "Go." We head off towards the first bouy. I make it quite a way still walking in the waist deep water before I start to swim. The plan for this day was to swim 20 min and take a short break and keep that up until we reach the other side. But, that plan went side ways fairly quickly. I had alerts set on my watch for time and distance and I couldn't keep which one was which so I just took a short break at every bouy. It worked out quite well. One key piece of equipment was the pool noodle. Every time I took a break instead of hanging on to the kayak I just grabbed the noodle and floated. This was also important because if he were to have to rescue me we'd need something as well. I started in on my nutrition fairly early. As it was easy since he could just carry it along with me. Sadly I am a slow swimmer. I can muster 1:45's in the pool but in the open water I slow down considerably. I finished the swim at 4.29 miles in 2:51 for a pace around 2:17 Still a much better showing than years past.

Well here's another kick in the pants in this race. Transition is at Dale's Seafood. I've just swam to the other side. We've got to get back to Dale's luckly I've also hoodwinked my brother into coming down and he's waiting for us in the truck. We load up the kayak in the truck and head back to Dale's to get ready for the bike. My brother knows it's a race. He's killing it in the truck as we ride on the tailgate.

Bike:
In term of triathlon and bikes this is an easy bike. No elevation change and only 15 miles. I'd like to say that I crushed it. But my first year I over biked it and suffered the rest of the day because of it. So, I took it as easy as I could. The course takes and out and back 2x. I finished the bike in 45min. Not crushing it but not little old lady either.

Kayak
This is where this race is won or lost. The kayak is fairly brutal. I am now into the hottest part of the day in SE NC. There was not a cloud in the sky this day and it was a great day to be on the water. I was moving along fairly good for the first 7 or so miles of this trip. I was clocking most of my miles in at 11:25 or so. Making sure to drink something every mile. We had put our boat on the water first thing that morning. So now my support crew was on the boat looking for me. They found me about mile 6. They replenished my water and nutrition and sent me on my way. They met me again about mile 10 and gave me some more encouragement before they set back off towards transition to get some seafood at Dale's. The kayak is a pretty lonely place in this race. There are other boats out there but no one to talk to and nothing really to see. I was starting to fade the last three miles and saw my times consistently drop over the last very miles. My back was starting to tighten up and I was ready to be out of the kayak.

Run
If there was one thing that I wanted to improve this year it was my run. I'm about as good of a runner as I am a swimmer. Slow but steady. In years past I've tried to get my support crew to meet me every 2 miles to get me more food/water. But, it hasn't really worked out all that well. So this year I brought a beach cruiser and put a rack on the back. On this rack was cold drinks, snacks, a few things I thought I might like. I started the run very strong(but slow) I was cruising along at about a 10:30 pace with a HR right around 120. Which is right were I needed it to be to finish this race. I would take a quick 30/45 second walk break at the end of every mile to get something to drink. The best part was I always had someone right there with me to talk to and water to drink. I changed bike riders three times over the course of the run and they did eventually follow me in the truck for a while. Towards the end of the run I was fading and not wanting to run any more but I was in good spirits and my HR was staying below my 142 threshold. I wound up finishing the run in 2:58.

My overall time was 10:19 beating my 10:52 time from the year previous.

I had a great time and couldn't have done it with out my support crew. They really made the best of it all day.

Now on to the sad part of this story.

I was the only one that did it. In years past we've had 12-15 people sign up and it was a lot more fun. It was pretty hard to push the pace knowing I was the only one 'racing'. The swimmer from that morning dropped right after the swim.

I would like to grow this race some. It doesn't have the sexiness of an Ironman. It is a really grassroots race. The kayak throws a wrinkle in there that really makes it fun.

So, I've posted this to drum up some interest in this race. So ask me anything about Take the Lake Extreme

Quote Reply
Re: AMA-Take the Lake Extreme! [nbaffaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few more pictures

I would like to see this event grow. But it's not ready for 50 people next year. It's really best suited for 20-25 people. There is little for aid stations on the course but I think more people would change that. How do you keep it grassroots but also make it worth coming to?
Last edited by: nbaffaro: Sep 6, 17 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard of this race before & always thought it would be pretty cool to do, but my cycling club always does a big charity ride on Labor Day.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
really cool. thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool race, thanks for the recap!!! My only real comment is you need to either position your T1 at the end of the swim, or make the swim a 4-mi out-and-back, such that you finish the swim and then just hop on your bike w/o having to ride in a vehicle back over to your bike. That is the strangest T1 I've ever heard of!!! I think if you straightened that out and made kayaks available for rental at/near the transition area, you could attract 50-100 people. I'd be up for it next year with those caveats.

Cheers,

Eric

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: AMA-Take the Lake Extreme! [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree on the swim to bike transition. It is a bit of a mess. I think that it is done that way because of the winds. The wind is usually out of the north and it makes the end of the swim a bit easier.

I do think that they should offer a shuttle one way or another. Say at 6:00 have your kayaker take their car down to the dam and get a ride back. Or at 6:00 they take you down to the dam to swim back.

The ride back to T1 is a nice little break.

The problem with renting a kayak is that most rental places don't have kayaks that are good for that type of race. A few years ago there was a guy who had done quite a few IM races. He smoked everyone in the water and on the bike. But, he was in a 14' borrowed kayak. He made it about 1/2 way before he gave it up. He may have paddled it once or twice before the race. The kayak is a really an underestimated part of the race. It just seems easy compared to swimming and running.

The thing that helped me out the most was I bought a nice touring kayak. It's right at 19' long and 21" wide. It is a fast kayak. But, there was a solid learning curve to it. I rolled out of it the first three times I was in it. But, now I can deal with just about any type of wind and waves with no problems. So my advice on this race would be to paddle a lot and bike much less.(Not a very slowtwitch idea) I think at the minimum you would want a 16' touring kayak.

The other question is how hard would it be to find someone to kayak along side of you while you swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nbaffaro wrote:

The other question is how hard would it be to find someone to kayak along side of you while you swim?

This is a requirement, right? And I assume for safety reasons. I wonder if it would be a possibility to let 1 kayaker be responsible for 2 swimmers?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good person to contact about logistics and growing a grassroots type of race like this is Jeff Donatello, the RD behind the Sea to Summit triathlon in Maine/New Hampshire. I did the S2S race in June and I felt he really had the "needs" vs. "nice to haves" things dialed in. He has kept that race very simple and it was a refreshing change. Needing a "helper" in this race is similar to having a "Sherpa" in the S2S race.

As others have said, anything you can do to make "in-race" logistics easier will only help to attract more people to the event. At the very least, T1 needs to happen at the swim exit. If you can simplify the in-race logistics, I would be interested in doing this race (I love the grassroots, non-traditional races), but under the current format, I would not be interested.

Why couldn't the race format be:

Swim: Near shore to far shore
T1 on far shore
Bike: Far shore back to Near shore (tack on extra mileage if desired to get to whatever distance you want). Open course, no marshalls, no support/aid stations, etc.
T2 on Near shore
Kayak to far shore
T3 on far shore
Run to Near shore where the day began. No support, so you need to run with a pack carrying your own nutrition/hydration.

Support needed:

Possibly none if near shore (T2) and far shore (T1, T3) transition areas are secure, it would just require athletes to set up their bikes in one spot (night before, or that morning) and start racing from another area. Kayaks are a bit easier because T2 is at race start.

If people want their helpers to provide nutrition/hydration for the kayak and/or run, that's fine, but it's up to them.

For the swim, swimmers bring their own support - either someone in kayak nearby OR are required to have an approved swim buoy that contains certain safety items. If they don't have these items, they don't start the race. The swim buoy will also allow you to carry any needed nutrition and hydration. That said, I would think you would still want to have 3-4 volunteers out on the water near the athletes just in case (hope for the best, but plan for the worst).

Good luck. Enjoy the journey!

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply