Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
AG Nationals Milwaukee
Quote | Reply
Anyone live there or ridden, swam, run any of the course? What's your analysis? I saw the temp of the lake is averaged at 63 degrees? How does anyone feel about the bike course? Good roads? Rolling?

Just doing a little research.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [Japryse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will be there this year too. Found this on Mapmyride. Not sure if its accurate:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/217129345

-------------
http://www.myracerecap.com
http://www.anthonybagnettofitness.com
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [coachanthonyNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there too. I've got the same questions. I want to preview the course before the race. No surprises for this one! Is that a possibility?

Lake temp in August seem to vary wildly from mid 60s all the way to 80 degrees. Depends a lot on the weather. Typical is high 60s to 70, apparently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump for more input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim is in the summerfest grounds lagoon so the water should be warmer than the lake unless there is several days of just the right wind conditions to bring cold water through the gap. The bike and run courses will be pretty fun.

I qualified 2 weeks ago @ Leon's for this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim:
Never swam on it, but it's protected. Behind a break water, and then further shielded by a state "park"/reclaimed land... Should be very calm swimming.

Bike:
Much of the course is actually an interstate highway - good luck riding that. I'm not real familiar with the portion of the course down in St. Francis or Cudahy, but it's flat. The northern portion of the bike course on Lincoln Memorial drive is pretty flat, though there is a hill at the very north most portion of it prior to the turn around, but it's not bad.

The Hoan bridge is a bit on the shady side in terms of tarmac condition, but I believe the rest of the course to be good quality road.

Run:
Flat, Flat and more flat. The toughest part will be when you run by Alterra coffee and resisting the urge to stop and get some breakfast.
Last edited by: sentania: Jun 16, 13 19:45
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Swim:
Never swam on it, but it's protected. Behind a break water, and then further shielded by a state "park"/reclaimed land... Should be very calm swimming.

Bike:
Much of the course is actually an interstate highway - good luck riding that. I'm not real familiar with the portion of the course down in St. Francis or Cudahy, but it's flat. The northern portion of the bike course on Lincoln Memorial drive is pretty flat, though there is a hill at the very north most portion of it prior to the turn around, but it's not bad.

The Hoan bridge is a bit on the shady side in terms of tarmac condition, but I believe the rest of the course to be good quality road.

Run:
Flat, Flat and more flat. The toughest part will be when you run by Alterra coffee and resisting the urge to stop and get some breakfast.

Area near st Fran and cudahy is very similar in road condition and terrain to the northern portion (ie pretty flat and decent roads). Little more twisty and turny but they are gradual so you can stay on the gas

I think I'll cheer from alterra...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a duathlon a week ago that was on the eastern part of the oly bike course (Cudahy). It had some rollers but was generally flat and the roads were in pretty good condition. I then drove the bike course and ran the run course. The Hoan bridge looks like crap, especially the expansion joints. They look like they could swallow a tire, but they had a charity ride a few weeks ago that went over the Hoan bridge so I guess it can't be that bad. The first part of the bike course looked good though. It's mostly flat, but there's a bit of a climb by the first turn around point and the Hoan bridge is a bit of a climb as well.

The swim looks like it will be good, and the run course was as flat as it gets and very scenic along the water. The run course doesn't really have any shade so it could get hot, but there's also a chance there will be a nice breeze coming off the lake.

Overall, it looks like a great venue. If the weather is good, there should be some fast times.

I took some pics while I was there. The course map isn't the best so I could be wrong on some of this, but I think I'm pretty close.

This is the first half of the swim. I took this standing on the tunnel.

The tunnel (it's narrow)...

The second half of the swim (you can see the Hoan bridge in the background)...

Running toward the first turn around point....

The first turn around point...

Another pic from the run course. This is running toward the second turn around point. I can't tell from the map if we'll be on the path or road. I ran on the path.

The second turn around point is somewhere by this beach...

I hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very awesome. Thanks this helps a lot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy "Supersquid" above......AWESOME POST!!!!

I will be there with 4 friends from Richmond, VA to race, and this post is the best I have seen for an overview of the course.

Thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent! If I had to guess, I'd say that since the course map names both Lincoln Memorial Drive and Oak Leaf Trail on the second out-and-back, the out is on the trail and the back is on the road. Way too narrow on the trail to have both directions.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was thinking. Run out on the path and back on the road. I think people traveling to the race will really enjoy the venue. It's by the Summerfest grounds which is one of the largest music festivals in the country. Right on the lake. The only potential issues/complaints I can see right now is the tunnel on the swim and the road conditions on the freeway. The tunnel is narrow and there a lot of rocks down there. It looks like you'll want to swim toward the center to avoid hitting rocks. If you don't race short course with a spare tube you might want to for this race because of the conditions on the bridge. Otherwise I thought the conditions on the bike course looked pretty good, and I'm hoping the conditions on the bridge turn out to be better than I'm expecting. We'll see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be in Milwaukee this weekend visiting family. I'll try to get down to the course and take a few more pictures and maybe some video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just received an email from USAT...they are sold out and are placing folks on a wait list.

It's gonna be one heck of a weekend....Better be bringing your "A" game.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3200 folks entered on a pancake flat course? it's basically gonna be a crit race.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
3200 folks entered on a pancake flat course? it's basically gonna be a crit race.

No. That is why there is a swim first. :-)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is going to be an interesting swim.

Swim:

Never swam there before, but, was just down there this weekend. The start is in a protected harbor. For the most part, it is "protected" but, has a large open area. You could get some chop, depending on the wind, but, won't be bad. You will be funneling through a pretty narrow channel going under a bride for the main part of the course. The main section on the other side runs alone the Summerfest grounds. It is very protected. The water will be a bit warmer than the rest of the Lake, but, not much. However, it should be protected from any wind and should be smooth, for the most part. At the tail end, you will have to go back through the very narrow channel and under the bridge, then straight out of the water.

Bike:

Should be interesting. I did a ride on the Hoan Bridge several years ago. Most of the coarse is highway. Roads are pretty good this year. But, the Hoan Bridge is elevated and right along the Lake. If there is wind, it will not be fun. Cars can get pushed around on that bridge in the wind.

I live on the south side and ride in Cudahy and St. Francis often. The course is on major roads. They are not bad. Lake Drive was beaten up by winter, but, there is a lot of patching going on. The roads will not be bad. Lake Drive has some exposure to the Lake, so, wind could be a factor again. But, aside from "climbing" up the Hoan Bridge, you are looking at a flat course with few turn. This will be a tuck and fly coarse.

Run:

Flat. Flat. Flat. Should be a fast run. You will get some good cooling effect from the lake. Like I said, I live on the south (west) side of Milwaukee. It can be 10 degrees cooler on the lake front than where I live. So, you may get some good relief on the run. It will be a scenic run. I like that area. Should be some good crowds as well.

Overall, I think it will be a good course. I believe I will join ironmaybe at Alterra and cheer.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jun 20, 13 19:44
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You gonna cheer for me?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

JSA wrote:
That is going to be an interesting swim.

Swim:

Never swam there before, but, was just down there this weekend. The start is in a protected harbor. For the most part, it is "protected" but, has a large open area. You could get some chop, depending on the wind, but, won't be bad. You will be funneling through a pretty narrow channel going under a bride for the main part of the course. The main section on the other side runs alone the Summerfest grounds. It is very protected. The water will be a bit warmer than the rest of the Lake, but, not much. However, it should be protected from any wind and should be smooth, for the most part. At the tail end, you will have to go back through the very narrow channel and under the bridge, then straight out of the water.

Bike:

Should be interesting. I did a ride on the Hoan Bridge several years ago. Most of the coarse is highway. Roads are pretty good this year. But, the Hoan Bridge is elevated and right along the Lake. If there is wind, it will not be fun. Cars can get pushed around on that bridge in the wind.

I live on the south side and ride in Cudahy and St. Francis often. The course is on major roads. They are not bad. Lake Drive was beaten up by winter, but, there is a lot of patching going on. The roads will not be bad. Lake Drive has some exposure to the Lake, so, wind could be a factor again. But, aside from "climbing" up the Hoan Bridge, you are looking at a flat course with few turn. This will be a tuck and fly coarse.

Run:

Flat. Flat. Flat. Should be a fast run. You will get some good cooling effect from the lake. Like I said, I live on the south (west) side of Milwaukee. It can be 10 degrees cooler on the lake front than where I live. So, you may get some good relief on the run. It will be a scenic run. I like that area. Should be some good crowds as well.

Overall, I think it will be a good course. I believe I will join ironmaybe at Alterra and cheer.

Will 3200 people be able to fit in two directions under this bridge? With 17 waves I foresee some congestion :)

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [SPROSCIA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else noticed the schedule of the swim waves? First wave off at 7:30... last wave off at 10:12!! Are you freaking kidding me?!

http://www.usatriathlon.org/...onship/schedule.aspx

blog
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
You gonna cheer for me?

Absolutely! I may even make a sign.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
You gonna cheer for me?

Absolutely! I may even make a sign.

Given our AG Are we at risk for sudden cardiac issues if we cheer at a triathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right - because they should jam the waves closer together to create more congestion on the course. Not.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Nationals Milwaukee [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Anyone else noticed the schedule of the swim waves? First wave off at 7:30... last wave off at 10:12!! Are you freaking kidding me?!

http://www.usatriathlon.org/...onship/schedule.aspx

It's Milwaukee in August, what's wrong with that?

At least transition is open until 7:30. So you can show up at 7, set up, and go back to your hotel and sleep in. Right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what time should folks shoot for, if they are trying to qualify for worlds in 25-29 or 30-34 AG?
Quote Reply

Prev Next