Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just once, I would like to hear someone admit their wrongdoing for the right reasons and acknowledge the real cause for their actions. In this case, as with many others, the admission came only after she was caught red-handed in a series of photos, and the admission was followed by an excuse that she knew would garner public support.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
what a mature post. if she said she was suffering from Myalgic Encephalomyelitis would your response had been the same?

I guess I'm just not sure what having an eating disorder has to to with sabotaging your competition. How is having an eating disorder relevant at all? I actually think it is a bit offensive to people with eating disorders to suggest that there is something about them which makes them somehow more prone to being unethical. That is simply not the case.

That said, it is probably time to move on.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More speculation!! How do you know she didn't spot the victim the morning of, dropping off her bike at T1 and decide then? They're racked right beside eachother. Plus why not go for the favourite athlete in her AG? Seriously you guys need to stop watching so much CSI:Miami.

I've never seen any of the CSI shows but does it really make a big difference whether she planned it ahead or did it at what she thought was an opportune time?

It's not really those speculating that are the problem here.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
I guess I'm just not sure what having an eating disorder has to to with sabotaging your competition. How is having an eating disorder relevant at all? I actually think it is a bit offensive to people with eating disorders to suggest that there is something about them which makes them somehow more prone to being unethical. That is simply not the case.

That said, it is probably time to move on.

Who are you speaking to here? Plus, who said anything about people with mental health issues being more likely to break the law?

Having said that, anyone dealing with mental health issues or who knows someone who is, will be aware that they are prone to rash decisions, abnormal behavior, mood swings etc. etc. It is quite likely that if her illness is legit, it contributed significantly to her making a god-awful decision. Perhaps it was finally the straw that broke the camel's back?

I hope she hangs up her wetsuit/bike/shoes and takes some time to recover
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking that, too, and not seeing the connection, either

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

She's a convicted criminal, a liar, a thief, a saboteur. With that repetitive history of behavior, anything she says is suspect and I just don't buy the convenience of an eating disorder to explain away her behavior and seek pity for illness. A leopard can't change its spots.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have an eating disorder, so I am not an expert. I believe that the correlation would be that there is something wrong mentally. The eating disorder does not make her deflate tires, but it is indicative of her brain not working properly or with reason. Regardless of whether you believe that or not, she is searching for a reason for her behavior so she can correct it. It would scare the shit out of me if I looked up and had made as many poor decisions as she has. Not everyone will forgive her, understand, or believe there is a correlation to mental illness and her actions. That's fine.....she admitted her mistake, is seeking help and trying to change.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if Lance Armstrong had told Oprah he had an eating disorder and that's why he did all that stuff everyone here would be cool with him?

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I don't have an eating disorder, so I am not an expert. I believe that the correlation would be that there is something wrong mentally. The eating disorder does not make her deflate tires, but it is indicative of her brain not working properly or with reason. Regardless of whether you believe that or not, she is searching for a reason for her behavior so she can correct it. It would scare the shit out of me if I looked up and had made as many poor decisions as she has. Not everyone will forgive her, understand, or believe there is a correlation to mental illness and her actions. That's fine.....she admitted her mistake, is seeking help and trying to change.

Bingo!. I do not believe the eating disorder has anything to do with what she did at Syracuse but it does indicate an underlying mental dysfunction (and that is not meant in a bad way but more as a medical description) that she is trying to figure out. With alcoholism (or drug abuse), the first step in getting treatment is to admit you have a problem and you need help. She has done this and I don't believe we should read any further into it for now
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
Just once, I would like to hear someone admit their wrongdoing for the right reasons and acknowledge the real cause for their actions. In this case, as with many others, the admission came only after she was caught red-handed in a series of photos, and the admission was followed by an excuse that she knew would garner public support.

When no one is home I use the loo with the door open

Happy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
She's a convicted criminal, a liar, a thief, a saboteur. With that repetitive history of behavior, anything she says is suspect and I just don't buy the convenience of an eating disorder to explain away her behavior and seek pity for illness. A leopard can't change its spots.

Exactly. She has zero credibility.

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
So if Lance Armstrong had told Oprah he had an eating disorder and that's why he did all that stuff everyone here would be cool with him?

And here we had Lance weighing his food before the Dauphine Libere to get down to race weight for many of the 7 TdF wins and he failed to use his food weighing eating disorder excuse ????

In all seriousness, I don't think her statement, gets her off any hook other than some of us wishing her well to get help. I lean towards the inserted texts in Scotttriguy's post above, but I am just cynical about all this. In any case lady, go get the help you need (I wish her well on that, how can you not), but on the sporting front, serve a big ass sanction and then you can come back after having served all that. If the sanction is lifetime ban, you can come back to tri in the next life. I still feel this was seriously endangering another rider's life by tampering with equipment and for anyone who does that see the option of normal law's applying (charges).

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's great that she acknowledges what she did and that it has opened up the possibility for getting some meaningful help for her issues but it's still tainted by the initial denials and efforts to obfuscate the truth.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Jun 22, 17 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
A leopard can't change its spots.

No, but it can paint itself all black and say "Hey! I'm a panther"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So would she have forgone 70.3 Worlds since she has a "serious problem" and needs to go to a mental health facility ? Or is she going because she got caught ? Hmmmmmm....

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
Diehl78 wrote:
No . She was saying how she felt everyone was passing her and she rode her watts , it was very unusual that she would ever even say that, Kristen put 18 mins on her on the bike. We discovered it at bike check out . Oh and she smashed Kristen yesterday.

Not defending this Kristen person, hope she gets a lifetime ban if guilty.
But looking at finisherpix of Ginny at LP 2016, her bike leg pics show what looks like fully inflated tires. If they were flat when you retrieved them afterwards, then maybe something else was up?

https://www.finisherpix.com/...0_022334#1320_022334

In fairness even at 40 psi from a distance, things can look pretty inflated. You'd have to get down to sub 20 psi to see it in an image at a distance....and also in fairness to Kirsten, even if she gets someone down to 60 or 50 psi, it won't result in an 18 minute slow bike split. Maybe 5 min. Amazing how fast you can ride on 60 psi. Chance of flatting goes up though from a pinch flat.

But if you are riding watts and getting passed like crazy, the obvious thing to do is up the wattage to keep up. In a short time you'll blow up, or burn too many matches and slow down even more. 5 min vs 18 minutes doesn't account for ones reaction to getting passed. On paper, 5 minutes might be right, but 18 minutes is understandable.

Years ago at IMNZ, both my titanium seat rails snapped. I couldn't ride aero and lost a bunch of time sitting up and riding. I lost more time off the bike A) checking what was wrong B) seeing if I could figure a way to fix it C) standing on the roadside chatting to the support van about what could be done. I lost about 45 minutes all up. If I'd fully understood the situation I'd have just kept riding and only lost 15 minutes or so.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Or she lacks conscience and uses manipulation as tools she's built over time to deal with situations. She very well may have an eating disorder that is really just a symptom of a personality disorder of some kind. Just a guess from skimming through the stories about her over the last couple of days on here.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [gsantollo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Ms Johnson should have to be Ms Mongrain's butler.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Monastero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope the eating disorder thing is not a distraction from the racing restriction that need to be placed.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
SBRcoffee wrote:
Diehl78 wrote:
No . She was saying how she felt everyone was passing her and she rode her watts , it was very unusual that she would ever even say that, Kristen put 18 mins on her on the bike. We discovered it at bike check out . Oh and she smashed Kristen yesterday.

Not defending this Kristen person, hope she gets a lifetime ban if guilty.
But looking at finisherpix of Ginny at LP 2016, her bike leg pics show what looks like fully inflated tires. If they were flat when you retrieved them afterwards, then maybe something else was up?

https://www.finisherpix.com/...0_022334#1320_022334

In fairness even at 40 psi from a distance, things can look pretty inflated. You'd have to get down to sub 20 psi to see it in an image at a distance....and also in fairness to Kirsten, even if she gets someone down to 60 or 50 psi, it won't result in an 18 minute slow bike split. Maybe 5 min. Amazing how fast you can ride on 60 psi. Chance of flatting goes up though from a pinch flat.

But if you are riding watts and getting passed like crazy, the obvious thing to do is up the wattage to keep up. In a short time you'll blow up, or burn too many matches and slow down even more. 5 min vs 18 minutes doesn't account for ones reaction to getting passed. On paper, 5 minutes might be right, but 18 minutes is understandable.

Years ago at IMNZ, both my titanium seat rails snapped. I couldn't ride aero and lost a bunch of time sitting up and riding. I lost more time off the bike A) checking what was wrong B) seeing if I could figure a way to fix it C) standing on the roadside chatting to the support van about what could be done. I lost about 45 minutes all up. If I'd fully understood the situation I'd have just kept riding and only lost 15 minutes or so.

My question was answered by the experiences and times of others at a similar weight and strength as her but thanks for the input'

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impulse-Warp wrote:
I hope the eating disorder thing is not a distraction from the racing restriction that need to be placed.

She used a similar defense when she was caught stealing see article from front page "The Member sought to introduce new evidence during her submissions, in the form of a medical note from her physician dated May 1… the Committee gave little weight to these submissions about the Member’s medical history…”
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her middle name is Michelle?

I KNEW a Double Letter had to be in there someplace!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously sport and winning mean enough to go outside fair play in sport. Now she may be without that which filled such a huge part of her life if banned. Motive, pre-meditated intent to do bodily harm, messing with another's equipment, so much about this totally on her. That said, mental illness is a real serious issue for anyone who cheats. Name any top pro cyclist or triathlete busted for breaking the anti-doping laws, or amateur for that matter, who cuts a course intentionally--it's an illness to win at ANY cost, not ultra competiveness. I imagine she is in a very dark place right now with few places of comfort around her. She knows she screwed up really bad. Saying, "I have a hang nail so I made the decision to cinch down their rear brake.." (or the equivalent) just doesn't have squat to do with it. It sounds as if nobody or very few really want to be around her in a race again, but she may be at an all time low in her life. We do not know because we are not in her shoes. I hope she gets the help she needs and finds an activity she can sanely participate in to bide her time with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently it happens all over.

I had a friend racing IMCanada this weekend. When she grabbed her bike at T1 the rear tire was flat. She was being optimistic that it just blew up during the swim. (doubtful considering the cool weather). But then her power meter wasn't connecting, which was odd considering she calibrated right before leaving to go to the swim start. She was going to replace the battery, since she carries a spare just in case, but when she popped the battery compartment it was empty.

Somebody really didn't want her racing!
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
Apparently it happens all over.

I had a friend racing IMCanada this weekend. When she grabbed her bike at T1 the rear tire was flat. She was being optimistic that it just blew up during the swim. (doubtful considering the cool weather). But then her power meter wasn't connecting, which was odd considering she calibrated right before leaving to go to the swim start. She was going to replace the battery, since she carries a spare just in case, but when she popped the battery compartment it was empty.

Somebody really didn't want her racing!

Jesus. I'm starting to not like us triathletes.

What is really disappointing to me, is that there are probably slow-twitchers here that read these damn threads and they see how much cheaters are hated....but then they go out and ACTUALLY participate in this kind of behavior.

It makes me really lose trust and respect, here.
Quote Reply

Prev Next