Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. And he consistently beats me. Every. Single. Time.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
**I think** I beat the guy but I'm not 100% sure. After packet pickup, bike check in & athlete meeting we got known as John Doe from NJ & John Doe from NC.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Poon wrote:
The talk of criminal charges seems over the top. I know this isn't realistic to imagine as well, but why not just ban her from setting foot on US soil? It's not like Canadians have an innate right to be here. She should lose her US privileges! That will keep her away from USAT events. ;)

Let's say someone took your tire down to 40 psi and you finish the swim, grab your bike and take off at full throttle and ramp it up to 25 mph and then in the first hard turn you roll your tire go over your bars and slam your head into a cement barrier and end up in a wheel chair for some time, maybe life, lose months or years of wages beyond the ability to further compete in sport. Would you or your family let the guilty party of the hook so easily. It really does not matter than no injury happened.

You can't feel 40psi? Try a realistic example,but put down the pitchfork first.

As I was exiting T1 at a sprint tri a couple of weeks ago my tire was almost completely flat, I only noticed because someone yelled out to me. There could not have been more than 5-10 psi of residual pressure in there.

I wonder if someone was trying to take me out? :)

It was especially aggravating because bike support had already left. :(
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:

Someone needs to photoshop the logo with the balloon loosing air. I don't have the skillset to do it.

Last edited by: Uncle Phil: Jun 21, 17 23:24
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
BLeP wrote:
KJGrog wrote:
I agree with jerseydave77.

Sounds like this tire incident is the least of this ladies issues. Kristen Johnson isn't even her real name.

Maybe she got married?

...I think she got divorced. In the article below, they make reference to her parents, with the last name Johnson.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/...UJVq0GiBqdk.facebook

I must admit that I've wasted the last hour reading through all this. Very 'local' to me and I have good friends that also ride with Liberty. This all sounds like an unfortunate downwards spiral with divorce, public shaming in her profession (The 'blue pages' in the magazine Professionally Speaking are legendary, seen by all teachers in our Province, and there's no way to fly under the radar there), and now misconduct / shaming in a sport that is clearly an integral part of her identity. ...It's just sad to see.

She sees herself as a role model for her students, especially for the females wanting to compete in sports dominated by men.

“That’s important to me,” she said.

Lol.....
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely done!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Agreed. I'm still blown away by the fact that she took the time to research her competitors ahead of time, figure out who may be at/near the top of her AG, found her number and then executed the plan in transition. I'm lucky if I can remember my own Bib number going into a race
Yes. Premeditated sabotage. Not just a spur of the moment hormonal bad decision. This takes cheating to an entire other level. It's one thing to dope, or even pull a Julie Miller, but to purposely tamper with another competitors equipment, and for an age grouper!
I guess I am naïve as well because I never would have dreamed fellow athletes would pull this.
Weird two Canadian female athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Agreed. I'm still blown away by the fact that she took the time to research her competitors ahead of time, figure out who may be at/near the top of her AG, found her number and then executed the plan in transition. I'm lucky if I can remember my own Bib number going into a race

Yes. Premeditated sabotage. Not just a spur of the moment hormonal bad decision. This takes cheating to an entire other level. It's one thing to dope, or even pull a Julie Miller, but to purposely tamper with another competitors equipment, and for an age grouper!
I guess I am naïve as well because I never would have dreamed fellow athletes would pull this.

More speculation!! How do you know she didn't spot the victim the morning of, dropping off her bike at T1 and decide then? They're racked right beside eachother. Plus why not go for the favourite athlete in her AG? Seriously you guys need to stop watching so much CSI:Miami.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess race execution now includes protecting my equipment and exiting transition under direction of officials... or returning to local grassroots races where I know everyone in my AG and we treat triathlon as a chance to meet with friends. Either way, I train up and race at 100%
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

More speculation!! How do you know she didn't spot the victim the morning of, dropping off her bike at T1 and decide then? They're racked right beside eachother. Plus why not go for the favourite athlete in her AG? Seriously you guys need to stop watching so much CSI:Miami.

Sure it's speculation, but not unlikely. Syracuse 70.3 posts a list of entrants before the race. If you're looking for a Worlds spot it is not unreasonable to see who is showing up, and also who may already have a Worlds spot. I have done this for my spouse at a couple of races when I've had the time, specifically at Syracuse as it happens. It's good to know who you are racing against if your goal is to qualify for Worlds. In this case, the race "favorites" in her AG had already qualified, so her main competition for a Worlds slot was the person's equipment she targeted. I doubt it was a spur of the moment thing.

The irony, as others have pointed out, is that she beat the victim's time so would have got her slot had she not been DQ'd.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The interesting part is neither were listed in the bib list posted ahead of time.....so she didn't know that Sharon was going to be there until registration or race day.....not sure how or why she picked her to sabotage unless she knew her from racing previously....as I said in my previous post they did race against each other at least one time before at the 2014 70.3 Worlds so maybe something happened there that made her think Sharon was a threat.

USAT L1 and Youth&Junior Elite - USAC L3 - RRCA
The Cupcake Cartel
Skratch Labs Ambassador - Skratchlete
BOCO Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
Pat0 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Not sure that she just did not meet the victim in transition on race morning and decide it all right there, maybe having found out she was a former pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I should have used your logo in the other thread where she admitted the wrongdoing
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Doctor_J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is what Kristen Johnson said in a Facebook message to me.

"Please see statement below:

I was under so much pressure to perform, and I made a wrong decision, and am sincerely sorry of my actions. I don't know why I did it, and I cannot even believe I did it. I am not a horrible person, just someone that made an impulsive, bad decision, and I know that I need some serious help.

Please note that I have been accepted to an mental health facility to to be treated for an eating disorder beginning tomorrow. This incident has made me realize how much help I need, despite being an accomplished athlete. I have been hiding with this illness for a long time, and although it is no excuse for my actions, I do believe it is one of the reasons why I can't make good decisions. I do not expect to return to the sport anytime soon, although I do hope that with evidence of treatment and recovery, I will be one day race again."
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least she is admitting to it now.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just adding the (what's thought but not written)...

Herbert wrote:

I was under so much pressure to perform (by myself), and I made a wrong decision, and am sincerely sorry (for getting caught) of my actions. I don't know why I did it (to get a World's spot), and I cannot even believe I (got caught) did it. I am not a horrible person, just someone that made an impulsive, bad decision, and I know that I need some serious help (to escape public scrutiny).

Please note that I have been accepted (but had to fake an eating disorder) to an mental health facility to to be treated for an eating disorder beginning tomorrow. This incident has made me realize how much help I need (to get away from all this judgement), despite being an accomplished athlete (as evidenced by my 4th at Kona). I have been hiding (my cheating) with this illness for a long time, and although it is no excuse for my actions, I do believe it is one of the reasons why I (got caught) can't make good decisions. I do not expect to return to the sport anytime soon, although I do hope that with evidence of treatment and recovery, I will be one day race again (as soon as I can change my name and dye my hair!)."

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:

Herbert wrote:

I was under so much pressure to perform (by myself), and I made a wrong decision, and am sincerely sorry (for getting caught) of my actions. I don't know why I did it (to get a World's spot), and I cannot even believe I (got caught) did it. I am not a horrible person, just someone that made an impulsive, bad decision, and I know that I need some serious help (to escape public scrutiny).

Please note that I have been accepted (but had to fake an eating disorder) to an mental health facility to to be treated for an eating disorder beginning tomorrow. This incident has made me realize how much help I need (to get away from all this judgement), despite being an accomplished athlete (as evidenced by my 4th at Kona). I have been hiding (my cheating) with this illness for a long time, and although it is no excuse for my actions, I do believe it is one of the reasons why I (got caught) can't make good decisions. I do not expect to return to the sport anytime soon, although I do hope that with evidence of treatment and recovery, I will be one day race again (as soon as I can change my name and dye my hair!)."

Nice cheap shot, Sir.

You're post is the definition of "piling on".

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what a mature post. if she said she was suffering from Myalgic Encephalomyelitis would your response had been the same?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
The irony, as others have pointed out, is that she beat the victim's time so would have got her slot had she not been DQ'd.

Except we don't know how this affected either athlete's race. I'm unclear on whether Schmidt-Mongrain came back to transition before the swim to inflate her tire or whether something else did. But I take it she knew about the incident during the race and surely it affected her. I know I did a race once where I caught a guy messing with my bike right before transition closed. (It wasn't malicious; he was just a dumbass.) I was so pissed that I way overdid the swim and was toast by the run.

As for Johnson, I'm grudgingly impressed she still put in a good performance given that she knew she was busted.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
Scotttriguy wrote:

Herbert wrote:

Nice cheap shot, Sir.

You're post is the definition of "piling on".

+1 well harsh

Although I did chuckle at the last addition
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you people want? You get upset when people like Rossi refuse to admit when they cheat, then someone does admit to cheating it's still not enough.

What are you looking for?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:

Someone needs to photoshop the logo with the balloon loosing air. I don't have the skillset to do it.

When I posted the race logo, this is exactly the result I was hoping for. Extremely well played.

Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
What do you people want? You get upset when people like Rossi refuse to admit when they cheat, then someone does admit to cheating it's still not enough.

What are you looking for?

+1, I think it is great that she admitted to it. Best possible outcome.....along with her figuring herself out.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a general response-

Now that what happened has now been sorted out, what happens now with regards to rules enforcement.
Are RD's going to police this more (not sure how when volunteers are hard to find as is)?
Are WTC and other organizations going to review their rules and how to enforce them?
What will the punishment ultimately be?

I would like to see a follow up to this situation, not as a pile on for the parties involved, but to see how this will be addressed going forward.

This was a unique situation of rules being broken.
Some have raised legal concerns and an injury could have happened.
Different from doping and course cutting.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [stoobie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I have a say but I would like to see "touching a competitors bike with malicious intent" Result in a 4 year ban Minimum
Last edited by: gsantollo: Jun 22, 17 6:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next