Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that the names are in the open, worth pointing out the obvious: she deflated the tire of someone in her age group, w/whom she was competitive.

i guess i just don't get some people...
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
lovegoat wrote:
- Perhaps abit more relevant to this case - cutting your competitors brake-wire leaving him/hur without brakes. Just ok as a "prank" as long as the person does not get hurt?

Well if you can't see the difference between cutting a brake wire and letting air our of a tire... Hint: tire go flat all the time and people rarely get hurt as a result. Plus in this case the tire was flat from the get go, it's not like it would suddenly blow mid race in a high speed descent.

What she did was wrong obviously and I'm all for a ban, but criminal charges, really?
malicious mischief - $ thresholds can make it a felony.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

... I hope Kristen gets the help she needs. ...

There is no cure for sociopathy.

Admitting herself to hospital may get her a diagnosis, but a leopard can't change its spots.

Part of me feels for her family - I think someone earlier called them 'innocent victims' - given her admitted previous criminal behaviour (using someone's {a friends'?} debit card without their permission) - and her current unethical behaviour, this is probably a life long pattern.

So the other part of me wonders if this is a(nother) wake-up call to her family (and friends) that she is not to be trusted and they should distance themselves from her for their own protection.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did Kristen Johnson finish before the DQ? Anyone know what her finishing time was or what place she would have been in her AG?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
How did Kristen Johnson finish before the DQ? Anyone know what her finishing time was or what place she would have been in her AG?

She did a 5:12:01 which would have put her in third one place ahead of the gal whose tire she was deflating.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:

She was DQ'd and there is a 12-page thread on ST as well as a front page article. Who's brushing it away? In any sporting infraction resulting in a disqualification, depending on severity there is almost always a 3rd party investigation by the governing bodies in question into whether further action is required. Personally I would be very surprised if Tri Canada didn't ban her for an extended period of time as well as IM.

My guess is a multi-year ban from both USAT and TriCan (2-4 years) and an indefinite ban from WTC. Her IM racing days are over.

She appears to have a fair bit of "moral flexibility" when it comes to rules and laws given what we briefly know of her history. She also seems to need some mental health counseling. I wish her the best when it comes to her health and well being but I hope she never races another triathlon again.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The talk of criminal charges seems over the top. I know this isn't realistic to imagine as well, but why not just ban her from setting foot on US soil? It's not like Canadians have an innate right to be here. She should lose her US privileges! That will keep her away from USAT events. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
The talk of criminal charges seems over the top. I know this isn't realistic to imagine as well, but why not just ban her from setting foot on US soil? It's not like Canadians have an innate right to be here. She should lose her US privileges! That will keep her away from USAT events. ;)

does this need to be pink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

Let's say someone took your tire down to 40 psi and you finish the swim, grab your bike and take off at full throttle and ramp it up to 25 mph and then in the first hard turn you roll your tire go over your bars and slam your head into a cement barrier and end up in a wheel chair for some time, maybe life, lose months or years of wages beyond the ability to further compete in sport. Would you or your family let the guilty party of the hook so easily. It really does not matter than no injury happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

I agree that the talk of criminal charges is over the top. Yes, something bad could have happened but we all have had flat tires and now how it feels. Mrs. Mongrain (victim) might have noticed the flat tire as soon as she grabbed her bike in T1 and most definitely would have noticed it the second she started to ride after the dismount line. No harm done besides losing potentially a ton of time having to fix the situation. As was rightly pointed out though, the fact that no harm was done does not dismiss whether or not something illegal may have happened. I think the law could probably be interpreted as such that she could be theoretically charged with a crime but that isn't going to happen. Cops got better shit to do. One of my brother's is a cop in a neighboring suburb in Syracuse and his brother-in-law is an Onondaga County Sheriff's Deputy (which would hold jurisdiction over the race site with Jamesville PD) so I could ask them what applicable law could be used if you guys are interested.

I love Twitchhunts as much as anybody but I pull back a little once I realize the people are probably mentally ill. Some are just unrepentant and narcissistic assholes that deserve all the bad mojo. Others are just nutty and mentally fragile. I have a feeling Ms. Johnson has a bit of the former and a lot of the latter. Normally, I'd be right with you all with the pitchforks but a front page article on ST and Triathlon Magazine is probably more than enough on this one.

Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Front page article now up:http://www.slowtwitch.com/...tor_s_bike_6414.html[/quote[/url]]

Now we have a real reason for body marking.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Correct. 3rd. Which is concerning because all of the top women in that age group were already on the 70.3 Worlds list. Except the victim in this case, who after the DQ took third, and was coincidentally (or not) the only one in the top 5 to claim the Worlds spot at rolldown. This was calculated beyond just a "competitor in her age group".

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Last edited by: Diehl78: Jun 21, 17 5:33
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Poon wrote:

Let's say someone took your tire down to 40 psi and you finish the swim, grab your bike and take off at full throttle and ramp it up to 25 mph and then in the first hard turn you roll your tire go over your bars and slam your head into a cement barrier and end up in a wheel chair for some time, maybe life, lose months or years of wages beyond the ability to further compete in sport. Would you or your family let the guilty party of the hook so easily. It really does not matter than no injury happened.

You can't feel 40psi? Try a realistic example,but put down the pitchfork first.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
nothing criminal happened here.

Slowman, I respectfully disagree. I did, however, edit my prior post to reflect the criminal TAMPERING that seems to describe what occurred, inclusive of no resultant harm to Sharon.

As per NY Penal Law 145.14:
"A person is guilty of criminal tampering in the third degree when, having no right to do so nor any reasonable ground to believe that he has such right, he tampers with property of another person with intent to cause substantial inconvenience to such person or to a third person.
Criminal tampering in the third degree is a class B misdemeanor."

I find no "glee" in any potential harm caused to Ms. Johnson's family/loved ones--frankly that does suck. I am, however, quite satisfied knowing no harm came to Sharon and ultimately her husband, parents, son, and hopefully any future competitors of Ms. Johnson.
Last edited by: Xing triathlete: Jun 21, 17 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wouldn't surprise me if she's done this before. She probably was just going to let a little air out just to slow her chief competitors down a little, not completely deflate the tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with Dev on this one.

Once you tamper with another persons bike, you have no idea what the consequences might be. The intent by the offending party was unlikely to be for her competitor to be injured, but she should have been aware of that possibility. Anyone who has had a blowout going downhill will know how badly that can go wrong.

Doping may cheat people out of money and medals. Sabotage may cheat people of their health. Different ball park.

How would folks feel if she had cut her brake cables?
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Diehl78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diehl78 wrote:
stevej wrote:

Correct. 3rd. Which is concerning because all of the top women in that age group were already on the 70.3 Worlds list. Except the victim in this case, who after the DQ took third, and was coincidentally (or not) the only one in the top 5 to claim the Worlds spot at rolldown. This was calculated beyond just a "competitor in her age group".

On the surface it does seem that the choice of victim was calculated and premeditated. Which pushes my needle more towards unrepentant/narcissistic asshole than fragile/nutty. If what you're saying is true, and I have no reason to doubt it.

Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if she's done this before. She probably was just going to let a little air out just to slow her chief competitors down a little, not completely deflate the tires.

If their pressure was too high to begin with, she might have improved their rolling resistance.....
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
I have to agree with Dev on this one.

Once you tamper with another persons bike, you have no idea what the consequences might be. The intent by the offending party was unlikely to be for her competitor to be injured, but she should have been aware of that possibility. Anyone who has had a blowout going downhill will know how badly that can go wrong.

Doping may cheat people out of money and medals. Sabotage may cheat people of their health. Different ball park.

How would folks feel if she had cut her brake cables?

Also in my example, I may not be able to feel 40 psi , but rolling a tire at that low pressure is a real possibility. I think most of our families are fine if we roll our tires due to our own stupidity, or bad luck. Families would feel completely different if their loved one ends up in a wheelchair due to a competitor intentionally modifying their bike towards an unsafe scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you would feel 40psi immediately, especially at any race with normal roads full of cracks, potholes and speed bumps.

Also, what level were the tires left at when she was done or planning to be done (not sure if she was actually stopped early)? Maybe she planned to fully deflate the tire? Again, lots of pitchforks as always.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason it worries me is if someone ended up doing the front tire. I wouldn't notice that until I jumped onto my bike at speed and if they fully deflated it I could easily see a crash. My race tires have nothing to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checking into the health facility is a classic technique of the recently shamed / legally busted.

Tiger Woods is now getting "professional help" or some such thing for his pill problem. This is after his prior stint in a rehab center for sex addiction--also a response to being caught.

When you are embarrassed by being caught, I don't doubt it causes significant anxiety, perhaps even enough to justify professional help, but seeking that help also is a good way to CYA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This talk of her having "mental health issues" is also all conjecture...

From her chequered history and her most recent infraction it's pretty clear she's just morally bankrupt.

This doesn't make her mentally ill... it just means she has no moral compass and is wired differently to most folks. It's just a shame she's found her way into competitive sport.

For me, rightly or wrongly, it calls into question ALL her previous performances.

Attempting to take a fellow competitor out of a race (with potentially disastrous consequences) is next level stuff....

One can only imagine a person able to rationalize this sort of direct action would have no qualms with drafting, cutting courses or taking illicit substances.

No place for her kind in sport... ever.
Quote Reply
Re: AG Cheater BUSTED at Syracuse 70.3! [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
Sorry, she's not going to jail for this.

You can run over cyclists with your car and kill them in our country and nothing happens to you. Letting a little air out of a tire is not even a drop in the bucket.

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks to the journalists for helping us get the details regarding this story and to Fleck for his words. Where will we end up if we no longer trust journalists and rely solely on social media posts from our friends, family and members of our tribe to inform ourselves about what is happening in the world?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 21, 17 6:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Diehl78 wrote:
stevej wrote:

On the surface it does seem that the choice of victim was calculated and premeditated. Which pushes my needle more towards unrepentant/narcissistic asshole than fragile/nutty. If what you're saying is true, and I have no reason to doubt it.

I was at awards . I have a picture of that age group as Ginny was 2nd. The announcer asked is anyone up here not already qualified for Worlds? 3rd place , (the victim) was the only one who raised her hand and she subsequently took the spot.

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply

Prev Next