Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ADVICE PLEASE! - Run Shoe change up
Quote | Reply
Saucony vs NB vs Hoka vs ?

Getting back in the long course game. Ran in the Kinvara 3's and loved them. Hated the 5s. Thinking of trying NBs or Hokas.

Like an idiot I decided to run in my Newton Distance for IMFL last year despite not running more than 5 miles in them but I had no issues. I don't think I'd go back to Newtons though. Was never comfortable.

Ideally I'm looking to have a couple of different shoes in my rotation that won't leave me hurting after my long runs. I never had consistent soreness but ever so often I would notice my feet were sore from/during long runs but never prohibitive. Never had to stop a run from it. Moving forward I'm signed up for IM next year and want to get some new shoes.

31 y/o 170ish lbs. Neutral or mild support needed. IM/long pace around 8-8:30.

Any suggestions and feedback would be great. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE PLEASE! - Run Shoe change up [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also loved the Kinvara 3's and 4's and hate the 5's. What I didn't like about the 5 was the squishy soles.
I've got about 150kms into a pair of NB Vazee Paces and the soles have a similar feel to the early Kinvaras. The toebox is also quite a bit wider. Not a perfect match for me but "good enough"
Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE PLEASE! - Run Shoe change up [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sim wrote:
I also loved the Kinvara 3's and 4's and hate the 5's. What I didn't like about the 5 was the squishy soles.
I've got about 150kms into a pair of NB Vazee Paces and the soles have a similar feel to the early Kinvaras. The toebox is also quite a bit wider. Not a perfect match for me but "good enough"

Good to know. I was looking at the Vazees as a training shoe and then 1500v1 as a race shoe.

Hows the upper? Does your pinky toe bore a hole through it like the Kinvara 3s? (mostly joking)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Sim wrote:

Good to know. I was looking at the Vazees as a training shoe and then 1500v1 as a race shoe.

Hows the upper? Does your pinky toe bore a hole through it like the Kinvara 3s? (mostly joking)

Man I have that problem in most shoes. Ugh.

edit: And I hate all of you for being able to actually buy shoes. Nobody is fucking carrying anything I want in 15/15EE right now.
Last edited by: JSully: Oct 13, 15 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recent Hoka adopter here. Hokas have been showing up in on-line sales of late so you can try them out without dropping $100 or so. There was a PSA last week for $49 sale. I would think that going from Kinvaras to Hokas is going to be a pretty drastic change. They are going to feel really soft at first. I don't mean this as negative but I think it will be pretty noticeable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Saucony vs NB vs Hoka vs ?

Getting back in the long course game. Ran in the Kinvara 3's and loved them. Hated the 5s. Thinking of trying NBs or Hokas.

Like an idiot I decided to run in my Newton Distance for IMFL last year despite not running more than 5 miles in them but I had no issues. I don't think I'd go back to Newtons though. Was never comfortable.

Ideally I'm looking to have a couple of different shoes in my rotation that won't leave me hurting after my long runs. I never had consistent soreness but ever so often I would notice my feet were sore from/during long runs but never prohibitive. Never had to stop a run from it. Moving forward I'm signed up for IM next year and want to get some new shoes.

31 y/o 170ish lbs. Neutral or mild support needed. IM/long pace around 8-8:30.

Any suggestions and feedback would be great. Thanks in advance.

I owned Hoka Clifton (1's) and Hoka Clifton 2's, Don't buy either, they are still trying to figure things out the toe box on the Clifton 2's are horribly small and will cause blood and tears.

I liked my Kinvara's so I am back with them, I have the 5's no issues with them, fast and light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just switched to Asics after a year or so in limbo where I tried a bunch of different shoes. I went with the Super J33 2 for training and the Gel DS Racer 10 for racing, but I tried a couple different shoes from Saucony, Newton, and even a few other Asics that didn't feel right to me. I think it's pretty personal and the really crappy thing is that nothing seems to run the same. I was all over the place with sizes, even within the same brand. The Kinvara 5 to 6 didn't even run the same in my experience when I was trying them out. I did like the 5s a lot though. For training for me right now, the Super J33 2 has enough cushion and support that I would at least recommend giving it a shot. Plus the look normal and aren't ugly as hell.

Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
Recent Hoka adopter here. Hokas have been showing up in on-line sales of late so you can try them out without dropping $100 or so. There was a PSA last week for $49 sale. I would think that going from Kinvaras to Hokas is going to be a pretty drastic change. They are going to feel really soft at first. I don't mean this as negative but I think it will be pretty noticeable.

Yea I saw this sale which is what made me think of this now. How recent is your new shoe? Total mileage in them? Which model? I agree it will be a significant change and trying to give myself enough time to adopt a new tool in the arsenal.
Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE PLEASE! - Run Shoe change up [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grr I don't like the sound of blood and tears hah. This is the kinda post that makes me go back and forth. I need to find a company with a good return policy. I know roadrunner sports has one.
Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE PLEASE! - Run Shoe change up [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
I just switched to Asics after a year or so in limbo where I tried a bunch of different shoes. I went with the Super J33 2 for training and the Gel DS Racer 10 for racing, but I tried a couple different shoes from Saucony, Newton, and even a few other Asics that didn't feel right to me. I think it's pretty personal and the really crappy thing is that nothing seems to run the same. I was all over the place with sizes, even within the same brand. The Kinvara 5 to 6 didn't even run the same in my experience when I was trying them out. I did like the 5s a lot though. For training for me right now, the Super J33 2 has enough cushion and support that I would at least recommend giving it a shot. Plus the look normal and aren't ugly as hell.

wow they look surprisingly close to the kinvara 3s. I may have to give them a shot. Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huge fan of the Nike Free Flyknits here. They're like a sock, no tying or getting other shoelaces required, lightweight, and dry quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the 1500v1 as a training and race shoe but not sure I would want to run a marathon in them. Previously I used the 1400v1 and v2 for training and races up to HIM and loved them. The 1500 seems to have a bit more cushion than the 1400. I'm 145lbs and not a great runner.

Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE PLEASE! - Run Shoe change up [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
I use the 1500v1 as a training and race shoe but not sure I would want to run a marathon in them. Previously I used the 1400v1 and v2 for training and races up to HIM and loved them. The 1500 seems to have a bit more cushion than the 1400. I'm 145lbs and not a great runner.

If you don't mind me asking, how come you would pass on the 1500 for longer distance if it had more cushion?

Whats the longest training run you use the 1500 for? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the 1500 feels like it has a bit more cushion i think but not a whole lot more . it also has a smaller drop, i think 6mm vs 10mm. I run up to 20-21k in them. I have a bit of sesamoid bruising i think from using my last pair of 1400s past their lifespan in 70.3s this summer, and the 1500s protect my foot mostly at shorter distances but less so for the longer runs. For that reason I'm not sure they would hold up for a comfortable marathon. YMMV (quite literally).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After running the NB 1400's (v1 and v2) for years, everything up to 50k, I've switched to the NB 1080 for something with a bit more cushion and been really happy with them. A bit expensive but if you can find the v4 in your size they should be a good deal, I got 2 pairs for $120. I'll use the 1400 for short tempo stuff or a race up to marathon but for most of my runs its the 1080.
Quote Reply