Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe?
Quote | Reply
Heading yet again to try the Lowes TT on 4/1 so I thought I would make a trip to the tunnel at same time. (in search of warm weather, just had 5" snow this AM)

If anyone is interested in observing some testing/making comments/assisting with equipment changes and is in the area, I'd be appreciative of the help(saves time of opening door and fetching data/parts/tools). Could pay your entry to the TT that evening or lunch or both(negotiable with what you might want). maybe you have an idea for a test not on my list.

I plan on being there to start at 8AM. Was going to have someone travelling with me originally, but their work caused them to drop out and then James Haycraft considered it, but can't make it either.

Maybe you'd like to go on a long ride tues instead with an old fat guy.

Respond/shoot me a PM if interested.

Edit: if anyone in area has a 700c clincher h3 front, I would love to test it on the P3 :) rental fee even
Last edited by: jeffp: Mar 23, 15 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is very tempting.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a wheel you can use, but I'm in MD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much time do you have in the tunnel? I could probably be there for a couple hours in the morning. There is a possibility I could be traveling for work that day (I really hope not because then I would have to miss the TT that night), but I would definitely be interested in helping out if I'm available. I was in the tunnel a couple of times myself last year so I'm familiar with the procedure. Is Jim O'Brien not available? He was helping out when I was there last year so I never really even had to get off the bike as he made adjustments between runs.

I'm glad to see you will be at the TT again, even though it eliminates any chance I had at taking the top spot that night ;)
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [dkidwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkidwell wrote:
How much time do you have in the tunnel? I could probably be there for a couple hours in the morning. There is a possibility I could be traveling for work that day (I really hope not because then I would have to miss the TT that night), but I would definitely be interested in helping out if I'm available. I was in the tunnel a couple of times myself last year so I'm familiar with the procedure. Is Jim O'Brien not available? He was helping out when I was there last year so I never really even had to get off the bike as he made adjustments between runs.

I'm glad to see you will be at the TT again, even though it eliminates any chance I had at taking the top spot that night ;)

He costs extra now it seems.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [dkidwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as James said, that is 100/hr extra now and i'd rather spend that testing stuff. I have plenty of time, I think, depending on if I have to wait fo rdoor to be opened and look at results between runs, then adjust
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
little too far out of the way, ie not a day trip thanks, though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I'd shoot Heath, aka ex-cyclist, a message to see if I could get him there to help with my testing. He's tested people there. I'm a bit far to fly in for testing, but if you want to cover my expenses I can be arranged to be there.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Mar 23, 15 20:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice though if you're not a good wrench, it it's worth it to pay someone to wrench your stuff for you and fast. Without Jim there is't $8.xx per min and you pay for every minute you're in the tunnel wrenching or testing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wrenching is not an issue, when i had Jim help in the past I always finished my half before he did his( I knew what I wanted done, he needed instructions which requires the middle man, me). just wanted to speed up the door opening and stuff moving in and out(cant open the door when you are on the inside). I've put every part on the bike together myself

I fully plan to have all parts lined up for each run that I want installed/exchanged. not going to be fumbling around looking for stuff. I personally don't see how it is any faster to sit there watching them change parts than to just do it yourself(assuming nothing complicated and my most complicated change(aside from wheels) will be lengthening extensions which involves collets(and I will have spares)). want to avoid getting the input that may distract me from my plan. the input can sometimes be good, sometimes lead you down the wrong path. I know what I want to check position wise.

I appreciate the input on Heath!
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
My advice though if you're not a good wrench, it it's worth it to pay someone to wrench your stuff for you and fast. Without Jim there is't $8.xx per min and you pay for every minute you're in the tunnel wrenching or testing.

If you are a good wrench, better to not pay anything though.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. Never sure how good/bad someone is from posting.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on exactly what you are going to do/test when you are there. If you are doing position and equipment, then definitely pay the money for Jim O'Brien. Jim not only helps with changes, he also watches and analyzes the data during each run, and he has a vast knowledge of position and equipment and what works and what doesn't. It is definitely worth the extra $$.
If you are just testing equipment, (wheels and helmets....?), having someone to help you is obviously better than no one at all bc it will save time (although some might say you could be wasting money going to a wind tunnel to just test one hi end wheel against another).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$100/hr?! Dang...I should start doing a little weekend consulting...

On a more serious note, I'd help out but I'll also be working that day.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not very helpful and I can't show you how to remove wheel without touching chain :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you finally got your S-Works TT Helmet to test at the A2 Tunnel!
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, and no word from shop on that either. sad

if I see a ML lying on the street enroute, I will pick it up :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live right up the street, have A2 experience, a H3 clincher wheelset, and can make myself available that day. Let me know if you're still interested.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to do some of the Lowe's TT events this year. I guess racing unlicenced should not matter, right?
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea no license required. You just sign up as "recreational/age group" or something like that, can't remember specifically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hah, yeah I'll be tied up at the other tunnel that day.

Still haven't gotten the rear wheel out yet. I tried finagling with the RD and all I've managed to do so far is pop the freehub body off on my PT wheel.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that sounds like an easy method :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signed up for April 1.
Quote Reply
Re: A2 Tunnel 4/1 Testing, Anyone want to assist/observe? [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with all the wheel data out there, I'm not sure testing wheels is the smartest use of the tunnel unless you've run out of other things to test.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next