Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

9 & 10 speed compatibility.
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience with running a 10 speed Shimano Ultegra cassette with a 9 speed Shimano Ultegra drivetrain? Success? Failure? I know I might have to change my TT shifters to friction.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: 9 & 10 speed compatibility. [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 9 and 10 speed derailleurs will work fine.

If you change your TT shifters to friction it will work just fine. I've done it.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep you only need to change the shifters and even those if you have a non indexing shifter (like mine).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano - I know that a wheel with a 9 speed cassette can/will work fine with 10 speed system. Figured out months after the fact that we stuck a 9 speed race wheel into a 10 speed system for use in a downtown criterium. It all worked fine. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I ran 9 spd bar end shifters on a 10 spd system in index mode just fine. There is a "ghost shift" in the shifters that allows you to accommodate 10 spds. The numbers will tell you that it doesn't work....but I had zero issues doing it.

As always in situations like this, YMMV.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 9 & 10 speed compatibility. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea if this is also true of downtube shifters? I have DA7700 9-speed on my commuter w/ downtube shifters and 10 speed everything else. The only reason I haven't put a 10 speed cassette on is the shifters tend to slip in friction mode and shift without my request to do so.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 9 & 10 speed compatibility. [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Any idea if this is also true of downtube shifters? I have DA7700 9-speed on my commuter w/ downtube shifters and 10 speed everything else. The only reason I haven't put a 10 speed cassette on is the shifters tend to slip in friction mode and shift without my request to do so.

Dunno...never tried it and I don't have DA DT shifters to give it a go.

I do use DT friction shifters on my old Serotta steel bike. Got them through a buddy @ Electra, don't remember what brand, though (Orange, maybe?). Never really had an issue with them slipping...if / when they do, a 1/8 of a turn on the d-ring takes care of it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply