Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor?
Quote | Reply
Triathletes are notorious for over training but I'm getting around 24-48 hour recovery times for 40 min run in Z3 HR. This seems too high! I've never been coached and I'm trying to learn. Any thoughts on recovery advisor?
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [stayaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stayaero wrote:
Triathletes are notorious for over training but I'm getting around 24-48 hour recovery times for 40 min run in Z3 HR. This seems too high! I've never been coached and I'm trying to learn. Any thoughts on recovery advisor?

I turned mine off. I think it is pretty useless as the recovery time is too long,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am wondering if as it "remembers" more workouts that the time will come down.....curious, if you could post in a week or two
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stayaero wrote:

So you did a tempo run, and it says 1-2 days break before you do another "hard" workout? That seems reasonable, at least from a running POV. Not sure how hard runs and hard bike fit together though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 620 has the same functionality. Had it for over a year now and the times have come down substantially I would say to a pretty realistic level by now at least when I think about it for a moment. Typically when I feel strong and motivated after a long run and the watch tells me 48h or so my first reaction is to think that that is way too long and I want to do it again tomorrow. But when I think about it, it probably is the right idea to rest for a day after a long run or do some cross training. So give it a few weeks and plenty of runs, it will come down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stayaero wrote:
I have a 620 and it seems to have 'learned' me and times are reasonable. I'm curious to hear how the recovery mode crosses over sports on the 920. Does the recovery time apply to all sports or the sport that you just finished?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
isn't the time the recommended gap before another hard workout? I;ve had 48 hours after a hard session on mine, but gone out on an easy run 12 hours later and the recovery check at the start said good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 620 and the recovery time seems pretty realistic. It will definitely give shorter recovery times for a same workout as you'll become fitter. After a month break I was getting the same recovery times for a 20 minute run, that I was getting for a two-hours run when I was in top shape.

Also recovery time doesn't mean you shouldn't run before that time.
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked into this. According to garmin, recovery advisor works with the heart rate. So it's only designed to work with the bike and the run.
Source: https://support.garmin.com/...d340-000000000000%7D
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [mossym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just recently learned this. This makes more sense then. I went on a easy run yesterday with 22 hours recovery time left and it didn't change after the easy run. (20 min Z2 run)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first ez run after weekend ride/run with the 920xt. Recovery adviser popped up a msg when i was about half mile into my run this AM and said recovery was good, so i assume it waits to see how your HR and pace are working out to advise you. Going to give it a few weeks before deciding to disable or not.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to drum up an old thread, but.....

I get the advisor saying 'next hard effort'. After my ride today it advised 72 hours before my next hard effort?! I'm new to Garmin so maybe this will 'learn' me over time, but I don't understand how it works. It has always told me 'recovery good' after the start of each ride - only had this thing 5 days.
So what exactly is my Garmin edge 520 measuring when it advises a recovery period, and what exactly is it measuring when it says 'recovery good' at the start of each ride?
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump. Any further thoughts on this? General consensus seems to be that it's not very good, but wondering if anyone has found it useful
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use it for a good laugh as I head out for my brick run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just turned on my gARMIN after IM Louisville. The recovery adviser says 31 hours. I'm not sure i can wait that long. :o)
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [patflynnca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patflynnca wrote:
I use it for a good laugh as I head out for my brick run

The only time it ever tells me anything other than "good" is during a transition run after a long bike. So I have no idea what value it actually has.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I chuckle after a short run that tells me 42 hours recovery and I have a 100 mile ride the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely swear by this function. I use it every single day run and bike workouts and it has kept me injury free and training more consistent than I ever have. If you set it up right and have your heart rate zones plugged in correctly, I find it to be very accurate.

I've had my watch since February but it was really only in August where I got my zones set up correctly and figured out how to train with the recovery advisor.

Over the last 2.5 months I've worked myself up to running 6x/week (BarryP) and I'm running more consistently and more miles than I ever have. I'm just started doing 30mpw and this a big deal for me. I did my first IM last year and I don't think I ever ran 30 miles in a week cause I always had some sort of running injury. Now, I'm running over 20mpw consistently for 2 months and I don't ever really feel tired. I'm ready to go for the next run and I feel good.

Here's what I think is most important...setting up your heart rate zones correctly. Using recovery advisor won't work if you don't have your zones set up correctly. Take a test, I did the Friel method and get your zones. Then stick to training those zones. As I said, I'm running more than I ever have and it's because I use the zones. I run almost entirely Z1 and Z2 and it allows me to come back fresh and ready for the next workout. That's not due to the Recovery Advisor, but I use the RA to let me know how I'm feeling that day. If I still have 5+ hours of recovery, I know I should take it easy that day.

I've gotten to the point where I feel like my watch knows me very well. I can go for an easy Z1/Z2 run and I'll get somewhere around 24 hours of recovery. Perfect to get out the next morning. But I also know that every minute I spend in Z3 or higher adds hours up more quickly. I also know for my long runs (9 miles), if I can keep it mostly in Z1 and a bit in Z2 then I'll only have 24-40 hours of recovery. That's not bad when you think what a long run does to you. At the same time if I go out for hard interval run where my heart rate is spending time in Z4 and Z5 then I'll have a lot of hours from the recovery advisor. The most I've been told is 3 days of recovery! I was shocked but honestly, I listened to it and within a few days I felt fine.

One way it also helps...I recently have a run that took a lot out of me and told me 54 hours of recovery. The next day I went out for a recovery run. Very slow. I'm talking 10:30+ per mile. I ran three miles. When I finished the run I was suddenly down to around 20 hours of recovery. This seems accurate to me. A recovery should help you recover and it did exactly that, and I knew it because my watch proved it.

I apologize for the novel I've written...I'm just a huge proponent of this watch and this feature. It has really allowed me to get the most out of my training. I might not be the fastest but I'm taking a slow approach to building a solid base and really be comfortable with endurance training. I wouldn't be able to do it this well without the watch.
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it has told me good every time except once...maybe I'm not going hard enough :)
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [key4871] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type of run was it? What zones were you hitting? If that 100 mile ride is all Z1 then it's okay, maybe (the distance might add up to be too much). The Recovery Advisor is saying don't mimic that effort for 42 hours. So if your effort had you running hard and hitting Z4 then stay in Z1/Z2 during your 100 mile ride and it will give you a recovery check that says Good and you also won't have a crazy number of hours of recovery after that 100 mile ride.

Do you have you zones set up correctly? I learned that if they aren't set up correctly it does not work accurately
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
What type of run was it? What zones were you hitting? If that 100 mile ride is all Z1 then it's okay, maybe (the distance might add up to be too much). The Recovery Advisor is saying don't mimic that effort for 42 hours. So if your effort had you running hard and hitting Z4 then stay in Z1/Z2 during your 100 mile ride and it will give you a recovery check that says Good and you also won't have a crazy number of hours of recovery after that 100 mile ride.

Do you have you zones set up correctly? I learned that if they aren't set up correctly it does not work accurately

great info thank you....I always interpreted it wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's very useful but it needs some history to compare to. Without enough data I think it plays things very cautiously. But once it has learnt enough it seems to be very helpful. And especially so after injury or illness. You may think you're better but the garmin looks closely at the data
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry buddy but the recovery advisor is not helpful. It never has been. And it doesn't matter how long you have it "learning" you. I have zones setup properly as I do a bunch of work by heart rate. And it does not matter. The recovery estimates are laughable as others have pointed out here. And I bet people are reading this thread and not even bothering replying because it is not subtle, it is pretty obvious it does not help. I normally add supporting data to a post that attempts to make a statement like this. But this one will go without that. The recovery times are simply not realistic.
Last edited by: ROUTEGEN: Oct 15, 15 4:29
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt users! Thoughts on recovery advisor? [ROUTEGEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROUTEGEN wrote:
Sorry buddy but the recovery advisor is not helpful. It never has been. And it doesn't matter how long you have it "learning" you. I have zones setup properly as I do a bunch of work by heart rate. And it does not matter. The recovery estimates are laughable as others have pointed out here. And I bet people are reading this thread and not even bothering replying because it is not subtle, it is pretty obvious it does not help. I normally add supporting data to a post that attempts to make a statement like this. But this one will go without that. The recovery times are simply not realistic.

According to your 11 posts you have never added any supporting data to back up your opinions so why start now.

If you don't like it that's fine, I don't find it useful either but don't act like you have data to prove it doesn't work when you don't.
Quote Reply

Prev Next