Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

920xt ANT+ issue during races
Quote | Reply
I have been having an issue with my Garmin 920xt and was wondering if anyone else has seen this or has a similar issue?

Usually things go like this. I get to transition in the morning to set up. I turn on my 920xt and 500 (I use the 500 so I don't have to mess around with the 920 on the bike trying to see it on my wrist). I spin my pedals to wake up the power meter, and calibrate it. I also put on my HRM and make sure both devices see it. Then it's time to start the race, I walk away from my bike and obviously my 920 loses the power meter signal. Once the race starts it loses the HRM signal in the water as well. Once out of the water, though, I would assume the 920 would pick up the HRM and the power meter when I get back to my bike. It did this just fine for the first 5 races or so I used it. However at my race 3 weeks ago it picked up neither (while my 500 had no issue at all). The 920 recorded no power or HR data at all through the whole race.

At my race this past weekend, similar setup, but this time the 920 picked up my HRM without any issue but never saw the power meter. The 500, again, performed just fine picking up both the power meter and HRM. In all cases, the power meter is going to have gone to sleep at some point from when I calibrated it to when I get back to my bike after the swim, so clearly the 500 sees the signal when it starts transmitting, and it picks up my HRM when I get close enough to it.

I don't have time to screw around with the Garmin in transition during the race obviously - does anyone have any suggestions though?
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt ANT+ issue during races [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a solution for you but I'm following this thread as I've had the same problems with my Fenix3 and 810.

I, like you, leave my edge on the bike so I don't have to mess with taking my watch off and on. I also like looking at the bigger screen on the bike. Both of my devices worked fine for several races and then about 2 months ago, it started doing the same as yours. Even during yesterday's brick, everything picked up fine on the trainer and when I stepped outside on my run, my Fenix3 wouldn't pick up my HRM. I even told the it to forget the sensor and re-connected with it during the run to no avail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 4 races with my 920/810 combo and haven't had a problem.

What I've done is turn on my 810 and activate my PM, then make sure it's working.

After that I've turned on my 920 while near my bike (not intentionally) and it found the HR, PM and speed sensor.

I do my run warm up
I go down to the water and warm up, my 920 is still on, I notice my HR on it while walking.
Put the 920 into multisport and start the race as usual
Get to T1, run out with bike, push start on my 810, push lap on 920 after I left T1 (no transitions included on 920)
Get to T2, rack bike, 810 is on auto pause, 920 is not, push lap on my 920 while crossing the mat out of T2.
Stop 920 at end of run.

That's my sequence of events, it's worked every time.

Like you I do not look at my watch while on the bike, I rely on the 810 for that.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
I have been having an issue with my Garmin 920xt and was wondering if anyone else has seen this or has a similar issue?

Usually things go like this. I get to transition in the morning to set up. I turn on my 920xt and 500 (I use the 500 so I don't have to mess around with the 920 on the bike trying to see it on my wrist). I spin my pedals to wake up the power meter, and calibrate it. I also put on my HRM and make sure both devices see it. Then it's time to start the race, I walk away from my bike and obviously my 920 loses the power meter signal. Once the race starts it loses the HRM signal in the water as well. Once out of the water, though, I would assume the 920 would pick up the HRM and the power meter when I get back to my bike. It did this just fine for the first 5 races or so I used it. However at my race 3 weeks ago it picked up neither (while my 500 had no issue at all). The 920 recorded no power or HR data at all through the whole race.

At my race this past weekend, similar setup, but this time the 920 picked up my HRM without any issue but never saw the power meter. The 500, again, performed just fine picking up both the power meter and HRM. In all cases, the power meter is going to have gone to sleep at some point from when I calibrated it to when I get back to my bike after the swim, so clearly the 500 sees the signal when it starts transmitting, and it picks up my HRM when I get close enough to it.

I don't have time to screw around with the Garmin in transition during the race obviously - does anyone have any suggestions though?

This happened to me too. 920 did not pick up powermeter after swim. 510 did.
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt ANT+ issue during races [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also on Firmware 5.20.0.0 if that helps at all

Sensors I use are a Garmin Hardstrap HRM
Power2max Classic PM
Bontrager Speed sensor.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the same setup as you with the 920 and the 500. The only time I have had issues with it not recording power or heart rate data is when I forgot to go into the settings and turn on the sensors in my 920 before the gun went off. Happened at a two races this year. Get to talking in transition, setting up gear, doing my warm-up etc. and just forgot to go into the watch and turn on the sensors.

Now, I've made it a part of my routine each race to go into the settings on the 920 and turn on the sensors right before the swim start while it is finding GPS so I won't forget. At that point, I am obviously no where near my bike or my run cadence sensors. As long as I turn them on, I have had no problem with the watch picking them up as I go through each leg.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: 920xt ANT+ issue during races [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
I use the same setup as you with the 920 and the 500. The only time I have had issues with it not recording power or heart rate data is when I forgot to go into the settings and turn on the sensors in my 920 before the gun went off. Happened at a two races this year. Get to talking in transition, setting up gear, doing my warm-up etc. and just forgot to go into the watch and turn on the sensors.

Now, I've made it a part of my routine each race to go into the settings on the 920 and turn on the sensors right before the swim start while it is finding GPS so I won't forget. At that point, I am obviously no where near my bike or my run cadence sensors. As long as I turn them on, I have had no problem with the watch picking them up as I go through each leg.

I don't know what you mean by "turn on the sensors". When I am doing my pre-race stuff I always set the 920 into triathlon mode and it always says "Power meter detected" and "Heart rate sensor detected". I use the 920 to send the calibration signal to the PM and that always works fine. But then I walk away from my bike so it loses the PM, and then I get in the water and it loses the HRM. When I got out of the water 2 weeks ago it didn't find the HRM again, nor the PM when I got to my bike. This past weekend it found my HRM but not the PM.

The 500 had no trouble with either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:

I don't know what you mean by "turn on the sensors".
When I am doing my pre-race stuff I always set the 920 into triathlon mode and it always says "Power meter detected" and "Heart rate sensor detected". I use the 920 to send the calibration signal to the PM and that always works fine. But then I walk away from my bike so it loses the PM, and then I get in the water and it loses the HRM. When I got out of the water 2 weeks ago it didn't find the HRM again, nor the PM when I got to my bike. This past weekend it found my HRM but not the PM.

The 500 had no trouble with either.

I turn the sensors off in my 920 after every session or race so they are not constantly searching for signal and draining the battery.

Before a training session or race, I go through the following process:

Settings>Sensors and Accessories>Select the sensor of choice>Status>On

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:

I turn the sensors off in my 920 after every session or race so they are not constantly searching for signal and draining the battery.

Hmm OK I never do that (nor do I have any issues with battery life even though a full IM). As far as I know it isn't searching for any sensors when it is in "watch mode". The sensors themselves are not affected by the watch settings - those turn themselves on or off based on their own criteria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:

Hmm OK I never do that (nor do I have any issues with battery life even though a full IM). As far as I know it isn't searching for any sensors when it is in "watch mode". The sensors themselves are not affected by the watch settings - those turn themselves on or off based on their own criteria.

That was the only thing I could think of, not having the sensors on in the watch. Since you leave them on all the time, IDK. Have you contacted Garmin customer service? Since you are having no issues with the 500 picking up the sensors, maybe they will warranty the watch and send you a new one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't talked to Garmin yet but it seems I am two versions behind on firmware. I guess I should try updating it first and see what happens. Although my next tri is going to be a full IM in a few weeks and would prefer to not have to be dicking with gadgets. Maybe I'll set up a "test tri" to duplicate conditions of a real one to verify at least in that context that it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you turning off your 920 xt or just putting it into sleep (watch) mode? I have noticed if I go more than a few days without shutting off my 920xt it sometimes starts to randomly not find sensors.
Quote Reply