Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

920XT vs. Polar V800?
Quote | Reply
I need to replace old units that have crapped out. I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and a Polar Accurex Plus. I want one unit to use while running, swimming, and racing. I already have a Garmin 800 for my bike. Between the 920 XT and the V800, any major pro's and con's, big difference in features or performances? Thanks!

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT vs. Polar V800? [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have hardware that needs to talk to the watch? Speed sensors, HR, PM, other?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT vs. Polar V800? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need it for GPS and heart rate, time, distance.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly haven't tried the V800 but I could not be happier with my 920XT. Love it, love it, love it. The one sort-of negative is no navigation, but seeing you already have a bike computer, you already have that covered. The 920XT finds satellites and connected devices very quickly, is spot-on accurate (I think) with distance, is correct with how many strokes it takes me to do a swim lap, etc. I find it easy to navigate through the options/settings. One thing that I didn't expect to enjoy so much is the optional metronome to help me time my strides. Also, if you get the HR monitor bundle, you can see your cadence, vertical oscillation, and ground contact time. That might be more bells and whistles than is needed, but it really helps me analyze my form quickly during runs.

But I agree with the earlier poster, check out DC Rainmaker's blog and you'll get more than enough info on both watches.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10327392
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to steer you one way or the other but have you considered the 910? It's cheaper and you get all the same features as the 920 (well... mostly).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned both and still use the 920xt every day (and gave my v800 to a friend that needed a good Tri watch). I bought the v800 when it was released and went through the growing pains associated with it, lack of accurate power recording, no open water, no power data when exporting from Polar's system...etc. I think most of those items have been resolved now though.

In February I bought a 920xt and couldn't be happier with it. However, the Polar does feel like a more solid unit but IMO the Garmin does everything I need it to do. I also like the idea that my power meter transmits to both my Edge 500 bike computer and to my 920xt simultaneously (an advantage of ANT+) whereas that wasn't possible with the BTLE and ANT+ mix using the Polar and my Edge 500.

The 920xt may not be the sexiest looking Tri watch out there, but mine has been spot on reliable and I'm really happy with it.
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT vs. Polar V800? [jenniferpelota] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jennifer, you can get Turn by Turn on the 920xt by using ridewithgps.com and uploading via Garmin Training Center. It's a bit of work, but works. Here's a link you can dig through on specifics... https://forums.garmin.com/...0xt-is-now-very-good!

Also, I don't have a 920, but I have a Fenix 3 which is essentially 99% the same thing and I absolutely love it for running/swimming. It also is nice to just wear around as my daily watch or for non-tri things like tracking kayaking/hiking.
Last edited by: BrandonS: Aug 27, 15 21:34
Quote Reply
Re: 920XT vs. Polar V800? [BrandonS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Thank you. I just pulled the trigger on a Garmin 510 just for turn-by-turn. Looks like that purchase is going to be returned!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10327392
Quote Reply