Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos
Quote | Reply
For those who have raced Los Cabos before, were the numbers this low?

I find it hard to believe Ironman will be handing out 40 KQ slots with only 300 on the start line. That would equal a 13% qualifying ratio. Suppose better for me being firmly in MOP, but I imagine Ironman did not intend on having 11-12 hour finishers KQ.

The RD added a long-course Aquabike, which I think is absurd. I suppose they have to do something to get their numbers up.

Whoever is heading down there next week ,safe travels.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [Deacon Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deacon Frost wrote:

I find it hard to believe Ironman will be handing out 40 KQ slots with only 300 on the start line. That would equal a 13% qualifying ratio. Suppose better for me being firmly in MOP, but I imagine Ironman did not intend on having 11-12 hour finishers KQ.

The RD added a long-course Aquabike, which I think is absurd. I suppose they have to do something to get their numbers up.

Whoever is heading down there next week ,safe travels.

Wow, I had this targeted as my "A event" for this year before a nerve problem in my lower legs (originating in the lumbar spine) erupted last fall. I liked the combo of hill, windy, hot and no wetsuit swim. I hope it survives to next year.

As for 40 slots for 300 people, you have to beat whoever shows up, but Cabos is up against a lot of all competition in the mainland USA. I thought the spring date was better given lack of competition from USA races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should become a Challenge event and increase it's numbers. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deacon Frost wrote:

Low numbers may not mean slow KQ's. Rev3/Challenge Half races that I've done have been in the range of 250-350 people. However, the pointy end has been similar to Ironman 70.3 races I've done.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you find the bib list??
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [craw4rd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just searched the participant list on active.com. It assigns bib #s, but I am not sure if those are accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't you have to consent to be listed on Active?
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great question...I have no idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noted this on Active's site : "Note: The following types of participants are not included in search results: minors, group-registration team members, participants registered by someone else and participants who have opted out of appearing in search results. To verify the registration of a minor, please sign in to your ACTIVE.com account or contact the Event Director."

Might be more than 300, but not THAT many...
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
It should become a Challenge event and increase it's numbers. ;-)

Now that's funny.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going by the list on active.com, it is incomplete. I am not on it (in for the full) and at least 4 others on the events's facebook group page stated the same.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a late Fall option race for me next year too, assuming it survives.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Around 1500 registered for the half, full and aqua bike per the expo yesterday.

"No matter how hard you train, Somebody will train harder. No matter how hard you run, Somebody will run harder. No matter how hard you want it, Somebody will want it more, I am Somebody"~ST Post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not too far from 300 according to the tracker: All Athletes (Limited to the first 50 of 345 athletes)
http://www.ironman.com/...=loscabos&y=2016
Looking at the splits It looks like a though day...

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Oct 30, 16 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
Not too far from 300 according to the tracker: All Athletes (Limited to the first 50 of 345 athletes)
http://www.ironman.com/...=loscabos&y=2016
Looking at the splits It looks like a though day...

Wow, splits look insanely slow on the swim and the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friend of mine did the aquabike. Said temp as like 98-99.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished, will post a more detailed review in a bit...

The swim - everyone got hammered by a sizable swell after the second turnaround. I thought that I'd never make the cutoff and ended up swimming a 1:21 after swimming the first 1.2 in 31 mins.

The bike... well, let's just say that my P1 powermeter started showing complete garbage after 91 miles - probably fucked by the ambient temps. I was never so happy to get off the bike in my life.

The run... the temps at 3pm were easily hovering at around 91 F with a good amount of humidity. It rapidly cooled down right around 4:15, so the run after that was manageable but I was too messed up by the bike and the temps on the first loop of the run to fight and simply jogged the rest of the run in for a 3:59 (my slowest IM run to date).

Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if a Northern European can get second in that race, conditions can't have been THAT extreme....
Good job, Markus!

alex_korr wrote:
I just finished, will post a more detailed review in a bit...

The swim - everyone got hammered by a sizable swell after the second turnaround. I thought that I'd never make the cutoff and ended up swimming a 1:21 after swimming the first 1.2 in 31 mins.

The bike... well, let's just say that my P1 powermeter started showing complete garbage after 91 miles - probably fucked by the ambient temps. I was never so happy to get off the bike in my life.

The run... the temps at 3pm were easily hovering at around 91 F with a good amount of humidity. It rapidly cooled down right around 4:15, so the run after that was manageable but I was too messed up by the bike and the temps on the first loop of the run to fight and simply jogged the rest of the run in for a 3:59 (my slowest IM run to date).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did the start work with the full and half going on at the same time? Did they send the pro's for the 70.3 off first? Just curious how they organized it.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep. the 70.3 pros started at 6:15-6:20 and then the rest of the 70.3 started at 6:30. The rest of us had to wait til 7:30am. Transition was split into 2 parts so they did not kick us out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [MRoudabush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did anyone get a breakdown slots?

with ~350 ppl and 40 slots, i'm guessing there were some AGs with quite a few chances to go to Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CAT Male Female
18-24 2 2
25-29 3 3
30-34 3 3
35-39 2 2
40-44 2 2
45-49 1 1
50-54 1 1
55-59 1 1
60-64 1 1
65-69 1 1
70-74 1 1
75-79 1 1
80+ 1 1
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Days Away, 300 Registered for IM Los Cabos [runitaly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those were the projected slot allocations.... not the actual allocation based off finishers.

edit: And on 2nd thought.... those projected slots don't look right either.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Oct 31, 16 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like it was a tough day...only 3 finishers under 10 hours. Did they go back to the old bike course? That course was a beast the first year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next