Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon
Quote | Reply
Amazing... http://masterstrack.com/2011/04/18113/

Here's the article:
Ed Whitlock goes sub-3:30 in Rotterdam Marathon for M80 WR
Ed Whitlock went from a WR in the mile to a WR in the marathon in three weeks. Today in Rotterdam, Netherlands, Ed ran 26.2 miles in 3 hours, 25 minutes, 40 seconds. As Race Results Weekly reported in its last paragraph: “Race director Mario Kadiks did manage to have a world record on the day, however. Canada’s Ed Whitlock, 80 years old, ran a spectacular 3:25:43 (3:25:40 net) to smash the world 80-84 record of 3:39:18 set by Australia’s Robert Horman at Brisbane in 1998.” So how did you do on our prediction poll? Pretty good. About 43 percent of you said he’d run 3:25. Ed is pretty good, too. (Age-graded as 2:08:15.) Congrats on mind-boggling us again, Ed.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His performances are unreal. He was just in our town a couple weeks ago for the Canadian Indoor Games and he totally smashed a couple more world records. He ran 12:00 for the 3000m and broke the world record by 1 1/2 minutes! That's 4 min. kms for an 80 year old.

He also broke the 1500m record by 30sec. running 5:48.

Greg.
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is more amazing is his "training" - read that he runs some short, 1-2 mile loop around a cemetary by his house or something, round and round.

Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>he runs some short, 1-2 mile loop around a cemetary by his house or something, round and round.

There's some unintended symbolism there for an 80 y.o. running like a 40 y.o.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TEST HIM!

/pink font
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [MOP1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, in this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if he is juicing. But I hope he isn't, 'cuz I just got inspired for another 25 years...

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was Kip Litton pacing him?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was Rick James that said: "HGH is one hell of a drug."

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Ed and there is no way he is on anything but craziness

Swimmer
http://www.usprotri.com/LAMASTRA.html
http://www.bodyphyxinternational.com
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would it really matter if he was juicing? He's 80.
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he is juicing, it's probably the Jack LaLanne approved way.

http://www.powerjuicer.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For purely entertainment value.......

Aside from the level playing field argument, let's say this guy was on HGH for the last 40 years, as someone who wants to be healthy and active for as long as possible, wouldn't you consider this to be a good thing?
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great thing, up until the minute you enter a contest where you compete against others of your age who have agreed not to dope, or the moment you decide to set a world record in a contest whose rules do not allow you to dope.

if you wish to use banned substances for health/enjoyment I really do support that, 100%. I love freedom. But you'll need to set your world record at a race that is specifically "non tested" like powerlifters do (it is code for yes we use steroids!)

walnutcreek tri wrote:
For purely entertainment value.......

Aside from the level playing field argument, let's say this guy was on HGH for the last 40 years, as someone who wants to be healthy and active for as long as possible, wouldn't you consider this to be a good thing?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we really at the point where when someone does something great in athletics we automatically assume they are doping?
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Are we really at the point where when someone does something great in athletics we automatically assume they are doping?

We crossed that bridge some time ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but Jack, seriously, today's seniors are most likely on medication that have maintained his health allowing them to continue to be active which previous generations didn't have access to. Isn't THAT performance enhancing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ssn759co wrote:
Sadly, in this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if he is juicing...

My goal in Triathlon is to perform at a level that would cause someone to post this about me...;-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Absolutely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand how you can continue to be arguing with me.

If you enter a contest with rules, you must abide by them. Even if they are silly.

I am not stating any opinions on what I think the rules should be, or what people should do with their bodies.

walnutcreek tri wrote:
but Jack, seriously, today's seniors are most likely on medication that have maintained his health allowing them to continue to be active which previous generations didn't have access to. Isn't THAT performance enhancing?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way Paulo. I've met Whitlock. He's an interesting character... but a doper... can't see it.

Besides... he looks like ghost... rail thin and would be blown away in a strong wind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
But you'll need to set your world record at a race that is specifically "non tested" like powerlifters do (it is code for yes we use steroids!)
LMAO. Isn't that the truth. A high school friend finished in the top 3 in his weight class at a tested event; later that year, he entered a "non tested" event and didn't crack the top 20. LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Age-graded time?

Where do I go to get this age graded time? I need something like this to make feel better about my run times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Age graded time is 2:08 and a little change...

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: 80 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:25:40 marathon [YaHey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.lollylegs.com/...aining/age_grade.htm

It's actually pretty humbling in my experience.
Quote Reply