Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that less top-heavy and deeper prize purses would make sense, but that probably means convincing the people in the top ten that they should take less so that the people in 11th through 20th can have more (or even something). It would also make sense to me that there would be fewer events with pro prize purses, with each event paying more and deeper. It's just not sustainable for a private, for profit company the size of WTC to have 50 races that are all going to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in prize money. So, you wind up with events like IM Lake Placid where the prize purse seems insignificant or even insulting until you consider that WTC is actually paying out $165K in prize money this weekend, divided between three events.

Ultimately, the pros should have some kind of voice in how the $4 million in prize money gets divided up. Is it better, for example, to have ten races that pay $400,000 each or is it better to have fifty races that pay $80K?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
There's a huge difference between the money pulled in by the "sponsors" for Hawaii and the sponsors (and TV revenue) for the sports people want IM to pay like. //

Many companies are like this, they have a real hard time valuing what employees or celebrities bring to their business, thus ignore it and pretend it is nothing.

If you are able to ignore it, it probably is close to nothing. (meaning if the employee or celebrity left, it would have almost no impact on the business.)

My question is WHY would these companies sponsor an event if they knew it was going straight to the pros? What's the value in that to the business? Do you think there are a lot of companies that just like to support other people's dreams? There has to be something in it for the sponsors, otherwise it is an unsustainable model. They may do it for a couple years because they love the sport but then bail when they see no return.

Companies that want to spend marketing dollars on this kind of stuff really need to be committed to it. Otherwise, it's a waste of resources. Roka is a good example. They are basically buying their way into the market. They have spent a TON of money sponsoring all the top athletes they can get their hands on. As well as events. THAT makes an impact. But it's a HUGE risk and requires a ton of EXTRA capital. Not a lot of businesses have that kind of scratch to basically buy market share. We'll see how it works out for Roka....I still haven't seen that many suits on AG'ers.

I donate a lot of money to pro triathletes. But in the form of supporting their training and livelihood. It has nothing to do with sponsorship because I know I won't see shit out of it....granted, I'm in an unrelated industry.

IMO, I think if the pros want to be paid more, they need to be more valuable. I honestly don't have an answer on how they do that. I don't even know if it's possible. I do know some pros are far more valuable than others and they make far more money outside of prize purses (having nothing to do with results). Which is why I think pros are barking up the wrong tree. If you wanna make more money, don't look towards prize purses....look towards making yourself more valuable to sponsors. That's where the real money is. As a ridiculous example, when Tiger was making $100 million a year, roughly 10% of that was prize money. That should be the goal and the model. Not making a couple grand for 15th place.

I just think the whole approach is flawed. Unless the goal of the "b" pro is to make $60k a year instead of $40k. Which probably could happen with some pressure like this and some collective bargaining.....I just don't think that is real change or the real goal.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
I'm getting info from someone on twitter that WTC says the race guide payouts was an error and there was no increase. We'll see.

WHAT!?! As soon as I heard the news I went out and qualified for my pro card and purchased a plane ticket to LP, certain I could place 8th. I want a refund. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the pro race isn't at Kona the tri media and industry, the people selling expensive shit to age groupers, lose interest and shifts focus to wherever the pro field is. No one cares about an amateur event at Kona and no one in that field would be selling products to gullible consumers. That's value enough to pay every single pro in the field at Kona.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question is WHY would these companies sponsor an event if they knew it was going straight to the pros? ///

Same reason any sponsor gives money to a race, for the exposure. This is how it works, give money, get your name/company associated with that event. I thought everyone knew this, i guess not. Terry Davis used to do this, maybe still does, not sure. But each event has its own sponsor and it is called by that name. Other events do the same thing, piece it out and get more in the long run. Ironman actually does this too, sponsors for each event, but they could further break it down to something like calling it the pro so and so swim. It would be a way to up the purse and not lose the bottom line. Just like they do with their charitable donations. They don't give the money, they get us to do it for them in their name. They look good for 100's of thousands in donations, but it mostly comes from us in ebay slots, charity slots, etc. They know how to defer money to causes that makes them look good without actually putting up that money, i'm just suggesting they could do the same with some pro prize money.

You may not know this history, but the first ever hawaii prize money came from one guy who wished to remain anonymous, and he alone kicked in a $100k+. Our sport is full of those kind of people and companies, but they are not going to be so generous as to just give money to a corporations bottom line..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I still don't think the prize purse should come from WTC. It should come from sponsors like every other sport.//

Are you under the assumption that WTC has no sponsors for hawaii? And if not, do you think sponsor money looks different than any other money they pull in?

and it should. However, and I argued this back 5-6 pages ago, the emphasis is on the WTC to decide how to do this and if they want to create the environment to make it possible.

1. They can get their begging bowl out and go cap in hand to bunch of big companies and plead with them to become the lead sponsor and pay the pro purse, in exchange they'll donate slots on the online coverage, have their names on banners etc. This is how they are currently doing it.

2. The alternative is to take a 3-5 view that they'll fund big money prizes, say 5x what they are paying now, make it a real race for the money, make press releases and good will out of the improved payout pot, and for a few years, pay it them dam selves. Then sit back and wait. Eventually Coke, Pepsi et all will notice and release that the families and friends of ironman competitors really don't want to drink perform or powerade and that for a relatively small amount compared to their totally marketing budget, they can be the title sponsor... bingo.

If they stick with what they are doing now, there will minimal growth, they will focus on global event production(homogeneity) and reduce cost and they'll continue to make less the $60m per year. A great deal if you can get it. The alternative is to grow the sport, grow demand, focus on the cult status, the spending power of the competitors, the customer loyalty and create an environment where other companies come to them.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
If the pro race isn't at Kona the tri media and industry, the people selling expensive shit to age groupers, lose interest and shifts focus to wherever the pro field is. No one cares about an amateur event at Kona and no one in that field would be selling products to gullible consumers. That's value enough to pay every single pro in the field at Kona.

True, with an exception: I would still buy one of everything from Ben Greenfield's booth. Plus a Gluten Tolerant bracelet.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to go back and ask, but I'm pretty sure the ITU itself might write some checks, but for the most part, they don't, they require the bidding organizations to write the checks based on the amount the ITU declares the prize money to be.

This is because, Les McDonald, love him or hate him, knew what he want the short course to be and created an environment for it to flourish... (ps. Lets have a "what Les did an didn't do discussion on another thread so I don't feel tempted to join in...)
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest difference between WTC and ITU, for example, is the Olympic movement. Global/National/Governmental federations vs. Private Equity.

TriMark pointed it out earlier in this thread. IM, in the early days, was not an industry. It was an event or a few events. AG and pro raced together. It has changed, now it is an industry. Dan has posted quite a bit about stewards of the sport. USAT love them or hate them is a governing body. They are championed with growing the sport, they are a steward of the sport by their mission statement. You can argue that the bulk of the growth (in the US) has been due to IM events and that would probably be true. Their pro focus in generally on the Olympic movement. So, an event that started out and paralleled other triathlons has turned into an industry within itself. The IM industry as opposed to the triathlon industry. The lines blur between IM and triathlon, though in the US triathlon is almost synonymous with IM. I do think that generally they are a good steward of the sport.

This goes to another post. But as for value. It is a difficult question. Value is a two-way street when you aren't talking about the Olympic movement and NGB or other funding. I like to fish, I haven't fished in forever. But, how are bass fishing pros paid? I don't really see fishing tournaments on mainstream TV. So, everyone says pros need to add value, but it's a tough nut to crack. There are several of us who try, but again...I can't tell you how many Cervelo bikes we've sold, or Smith glasses. Referral codes, etc. work but those are impulse buys generally or on the spot. It's hard for someone to say...Brandon has a Roka 10% off code that I remember reading about 2 months ago when they are ready to purchase. So, we (pros) hear that person.

I don't know the answer as to what is better 10x$400,000 or 50x$80,000. I would look at it as number of athletes who can get paid. As for a voice, even Messick said earlier this year he thinks it would be great if there were a unified voice. We've got 4 pro 'ambassadors' via WTC. There is only 1 who has stuck their neck out to my knowledge or tried to do much. So, we'll see.

Added: Is a $25k IM purse or $15k 70.3 purse worth it? It's an individual question. As a general comment about wins, pro bonuses, etc. I doubt there are many World Champ bonuses that go past 5th, unless it's a very small amount of $$. Many are win only for all other races. So, you can argue that it can be worth it to do a $25k/$15k race if you win. And, that's also the best argument to use for more equitable purses...the athlete who wins (or maybe podiums with top-3) is going to make something over and above the prize money. Honestly though...big money at fewer competitions legitimizes sport.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Last edited by: -BrandonMarshTX: Jul 22, 14 14:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
You may not know this history, but the first ever hawaii prize money came from one guy who wished to remain anonymous, and he alone kicked in a $100k+. Our sport is full of those kind of people and companies, but they are not going to be so generous as to just give money to a corporations bottom line..

Yep, I kicked in $100 to the TRS gofundme... I've sponsored athletes in the past, and paid for lots of worthwhile projects. I'm done on Ironman races now. Until the WTC prove they are doing something other than putting on races, competing with other race organizers, buying out races by being the "big money"guys, and start treating IM pro's with at least some level of professionalism, paying out promptly WW, handling drug testing with transparency etc. I'm out and apart from a few special cases, I'm not interested in helping you become a pro.

It's easy for me to do, I'm not part of their cartel, not dependent one way or another on their success. Anyone in my position can find a million better ways to spend their money, even if though love triathlon.

THANKS FOR REMINDING EVERYONE MONTY!!
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
travis_lt wrote:

True, with an exception: I would still buy one of everything from Ben Greenfield's booth. Plus a Gluten Tolerant bracelet.

I just assumed we were all funding Ben and his magic bracelet 3000. Now with dimpled carbon and extra tolerant goodness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You missed my point Monty. I wasn't asking how sponsorship works. I was asking where the value is. That is the "why".

If someone in my company wants to take a $100k and sponsor ironman, awesome. They just have to demonstrate what the ROI is. In my opinion, and proven by the lack of big dollar sponsorships and high turnover of sponsors, there is very very little.

If the return was high, you'd see more sponsors.

To use a bad cliche, the market has spoken.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team