Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
The big money sponsors have moved on, long course triathlon just doesn't provide a spectator/TV experience that has enough value.

NBCsports aired coverage of IMMT following one of the TdF stage recaps last week (so, 11:00pm EST). I was hoping that two words would come to mind, but only one word sufficiently described it: awful. As a relatively interested party, I couldn't watch beyond the second commercial break.

If this sport's viability lies on the broadcast route, then there's one hell of a mountain to climb!

The sport's professional viability does rely on broadcast coverage, and that's why the US's focus on 140.6 is hurting it. Draft-legal sprint or Olympic races would be much more telegenic. You wouldn't be able to have the age groupers on course with them, of course. The whole current model does not work, and will not work, no matter how many wish sandwiches STers eat.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL and your point? Kim Kardashian could raise that in about 10 seconds and have more followers clipping her toe-nails. Hell... 18K+ people will follow the fat kid discussing snacks (https://www.youtube.com/user/Thefoodreviewer)

Even BOWLING gets more TV coverage than triathlon. Not that is wrong. WTC can make far more money selling the Kona dream to AGers and just need to spend more money to clone Mike Reilly than anything else.

The future of the sport is far fewer pros having larger portions of smaller purses.

But there is a great point in here as well... If TheRealStarky is good at raising money for finishers... Really the WTC should concede the purses as a whole and leave it up to TheRealStarky to raise and fund the purses. If everyone of TRS followers ponied up $100 each, then that is almost the KONA purse. I might even send that suggestion along the Andy Messick that their purses are no longer needed and TRS has it covered
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
I think this is ridiculous, a bunch of internet clowns that do nothing but piss people off from behind an (originally) anonymous twitter account should be the last people to try to 'make a change'. If I was Messick I would laugh about this whole thing. So you collect some money for IMLP 7th place finisher and then what? Will you do the same for all the other IM races? Nobody cares about what you do but yourself (to fullfill your need of short term attention). In fact continuously trying to shame Messick and expecting the outcome to be that he listens to you is about as dumb as things get.

I would love to see the pros in our sport get paid more, but this is absolutely not the way to do it. You have zero credibility and trustworthiness.

UPDATE: Without any comment (thus far), Ironman has bumped the prize purse from $25,000 to $75,000. It now also pays 8 deep. Find the updated prize purse on page 10 of the athlete guide.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/lake-placid/athletes/athlete-guide.aspx#axzz38DQ8xNMV

...dipshit.

Internet User
Last edited by: Dark Mark: Jul 22, 14 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah sweeeeeeeeet, so is this now "9th is the new 1st" campaign?

ETA: Well done!!!

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Jul 22, 14 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are we going to pay out 9th now?
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you donated, you'll have a chance to vote on what we do at this point.

You did donate, didn't you?

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
If you donated, you'll have a chance to vote on what we do at this point.

You did donate, didn't you?

Sure did
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will be interesting to see how that vote resolves. In keeping with the spirit if this, it would make sense to pay down to 9th now.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Jul 22, 14 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HOLY SHIT IT WORKED
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
I think this is ridiculous, a bunch of internet clowns that do nothing but piss people off from behind an (originally) anonymous twitter account should be the last people to try to 'make a change'. If I was Messick I would laugh about this whole thing. So you collect some money for IMLP 7th place finisher and then what? Will you do the same for all the other IM races? Nobody cares about what you do but yourself (to fullfill your need of short term attention). In fact continuously trying to shame Messick and expecting the outcome to be that he listens to you is about as dumb as things get.

I would love to see the pros in our sport get paid more, but this is absolutely not the way to do it. You have zero credibility and trustworthiness.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
Cobble wrote:

UPDATE: Without any comment (thus far), Ironman has bumped the prize purse from $25,000 to $75,000. It now also pays 8 deep. Find the updated prize purse on page 10 of the athlete guide.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/lake-placid/athletes/athlete-guide.aspx#axzz38DQ8xNMV

...dipshit.

Going to be a lot of back peddling and "what I meant was..." post coming
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say take all the money and keep it rolling for 11th in hawaii. Now if there was ever a race and race finisher who really gets screwed, it is the bubble in hawaii. It used to be top 15 places in my day, and that was even considered slim for a supposed world champs. What does everyone think about that?? And if it is publicity you are after, no bigger stage than hawaii. Imagine all of it being caught on national TV, 3 or 4 guys waiting at the finish line to get out of the top 10!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
Cobble wrote:

...dipshit.

BOOOOOM! Party on boys!
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
HOLY SHIT IT WORKED

x2
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I say take all the money and keep it rolling for 11th in hawaii. Now if there was ever a race and race finisher who really gets screwed, it is the bubble in hawaii. It used to be top 15 places in my day, and that was even considered slim for a supposed world champs. What does everyone think about that?? And if it is publicity you are after, no bigger stage than hawaii. Imagine all of it being caught on national TV, 3 or 4 guys waiting at the finish line to get out of the top 10!!!

Great idea!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the current Kona purse breakdown?

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We will include this as an option. If you donate, you can vote. We aren't done yet.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
Cobble wrote:

...dipshit.

Back to what it was a few years ago, still not what it was many years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work, impressed by what yall are changing. Let's hope maybe yall get some bargaining power and WTC "sees the light". I didn't think it would, I was wrong on that point. I hope it continues to improve the pros' plight. Carry on!!!!

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the current Kona purse breakdown?//

I don't know, someone with more search skills will have to ferret that out. Their site always frustrates me as to how hard it is to find things. Must be the same guy that does Ironmanlive coverage….

But pretty sure that 11th gets a handshake, a hug from a volunteer, a thanks for coming, and a see you back next year first loser!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a coach I respect donate (ianpeace) on here, so i'm going to donate as well. But because I'm late to the party, I refrain from voting.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: 7th is the new 1st: IRONMAN LAKE PLACID PRIZE PURSE [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
btmoney wrote:
HOLY SHIT IT WORKED

x2

Looks more like damage control, squashing this before it gains too mich momentum. I'd agree to let it roll right into Kona, on their biggest stage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark Mark wrote:
Cobble wrote:

...dipshit.

Please also keep a close watch on the entry fee for this and next year. When they also, without comment, bump it $50 for each participant to cover your little stunt.

Change!!

Oh....but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to also call you a "dipshit" because apparently you are protected under "humor" while the rest of us are not.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team