Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
7 Marathons, 7 Continents, 7 Days
Quote | Reply
Was wondering if anyone in ST-land has had a crack at this, or if you know anyone that has done it. Looks to be as much a logistical challenge as a physical one, but would be lots of fun. Consensus (based on google-searching) appears to be that one starts in Antarctica and finishes a week later in Australia. One guy has managed to do it in < 5 days, but Im guessing you need everything to go right (weather, flights etc) to make that happen.

Cheers
Extra Mile
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Marathons, 7 Continents, 7 Days [theextramile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Why rush something that would be really cool spread out over a number of years?

I would want to spend time in each place rather than spend most of the time in an airplane. Also I love trail races and would rather do a trail run than a road run anyday.

Maybe do:
Great Wall Marathon(China/Asia)
Inca Trail Marathon(Peru/South America)
Kilmanjaro Marathon(Tanzania/Africa)
Marathon marathon(Greece/Europe)
No iconic ideas for Australia, Antartica, or North America.

My 31 out of 50 states has already cost me at least $16K and I am out of all the inexpensive states.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Last edited by: linhardt: Jun 23, 14 6:00
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Marathons, 7 Continents, 7 Days [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha - good point. I did the Great Wall race back in 2004 (I did the 1/2), but I think it has moved to a new location since then. In case it helps, our agent was awesome - www.travellingfit.com . They also run tours to most of the other locations you mention (great list, btw) so I would highly recommend them when you get to the planning stage.

Cheers
Extra Mile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think this is logistically possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran Fiennes did this in 2003. Due to weather/logistics he had to run the Falklands as a substitute for Antarctica.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Marathons, 7 Continents, 7 Days [Ing.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. I found this in Wikipedia from Ran Fiennes in relation to his feat:

"In retrospect I wouldn't have done it. I wouldn't do it again". Given his status as one of the world's great explorers, this quote carries a bit of weight IMO.

Cheers
Extra Mile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a horrible idea from a health standpoint, and an invitation to blood clot problems that even the best compression socks in the world aren't going to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I used to travel a lot for work I would get an occasional nosebleed from being in the air so often. I can only imagine the health issues you could encounter by running a marathon, then getting on a plane to go 30,000+ ft in the air, then repeating that 6 more times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like one of those things that just because you could, doens't mean you should...
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Marathons, 7 Continents, 7 Days [Ing.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ing. wrote:
Ran Fiennes did this in 2003. Due to weather/logistics he had to run the Falklands as a substitute for Antarctica.

just for the record: he didn't do it. He tried to and failed.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Marathons, 7 Continents, 7 Days [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar note a few years back 2006ish Dean Karnazes did 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days finishing with the NYC Marathon and started to run back from NY to California. He would run 75ish miles a day but got homesick if I'm not mistaken in St. Louis area and then flew home to be with his family. If it's a goal of yours I would say go for it, however the realist in me thinks that this would be a logistical nightmare. Everything would have to go perfectly and I doubt it would be very enjoyable as you wouldn't get to enjoy the cities in which you are racing.

Tad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure Kip Litton has already done this a couple of times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i believe fiennes also ran into problems with rhabdo during that effort.

to the OP: google "terry fox."

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Marathons, 7 Continents, 7 Days [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback folks (Id never even heard of rhabdo before !!!). Seems like a lot of homework would need to go into this, but it still attracts me for some unknown reason.

Thanks again

Extra Mile
Quote Reply
Re: 7 Marathons, 7 Continents, 7 Days [bulfrog2004] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local running legend Frank Giannino holds the record for running across the United States (he's done it twice). He would never say it, but one of his employees told me that the record is 'soft.' You 'only' have to run 12 minute miles to break the record.

Of course, that's 12 minute miles for 50 miles a day for 2 months (with a higher average per day on his second record run)!

http://shoe-fitter.com/run-USA.html

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a private jet? Obviously a single engine won't get this done. The key is to start in Antarctica and be flexible with itinerary. Personally I don't think this can be done for less than $1M.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No aj, no private jet or access to $1m :)

I've been doing a bit more googling, and it turns out that not only has one guy (Richard Donovan) been able to do it in < 5 days, but another guy (Andrew Murray) has actually stepped it up by doing 7 x ultras (50km) in 7 days 7 continents. Interestingly, he was doing it as a spokesperson for Scottish Health, and is himself a doctor (and maybe its just me, but he bears an uncanny resemblance to Cold Play's Chris Martin):

http://docandrewmurray.com/

The specifics of 777 aside, he seems like a pretty interesting chap, and his website makes for cool reading.

Cheers
Extra Mile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Folks

Just a quick update for those interested (???).....I've decided to have a crack at this along with a couple of enterprising Aussies and Brits. If interested, you can "like" our Facebook page to stay updated (http://www.facebook.com/continentaldrift.net) or visit our website (http://www.teamcontinentaldrift.com) for details

We plan to start in Antarctica on January 19, and finish in Sydney on January 25. It would be very cool if any Slowtwitchers were to join us at any of our locales in each continent for the run. Even if not for the whole mara, just for part of it would be cool. We plan to be in Houston on January 21, then London January 22, Cairo, Dubai and then finally Sydney. On our website we have put a calendar up, and you can register so we will know if anyone is coming to join us....or if we should just start bloody running :)))

Im pretty daunted by this whole thing - but of course, that's when good adventures happen, right???

Cheers

The Extra Mile

PS. We will be raising funds as part of this adventure, and all funds raised via donation will be supporting the John Maclean Foundation (in Australia) and KEEN (in the UK)
PPS. Our flights will be carbon-neutral via the purchase of offsets at http://www.carbonneutral.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck!

The world map you posted makes it look easy, but I can only imagine it's a logistical nightmare.

Any idea on the routes you're going to run yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that sounds fun. I live in Houston so would be happy to help out with logistics here. Let me know. I was going to reserve rooms today at the host hotel. Let me know ASAP if you want me to reserve extras.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Guys,

aw3: You're right - the logistics are the scariest parts. The route is pretty much locked in, but we have to have "Plan B" options in case of weather-related or airline-based delays. The biggest risk is the weather coming out of Antarctica. The clock starts as soon as we start the run on King George Island, so if we get a weather delay getting back to South America, that could put the whole thing in jeopardy. North American location was pretty much determined by likelihood of an airport being snowed in in January, as well as connections to Europe (ie. pretty much comes down to Miami or Houston)

AJ: Thats awesome if you could meet up with us in Houston. We dont plan to actually have any hotels during the week. Simply airport - run - airport...rinse and repeat 6 more times :)

We have a little promo vid on youtube directly if you dont want to go to the website: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeowlaqtRdQ

Cheers guys

Extra Mile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like fun, good luck! Stuff like this always interests me, the first year I ran Boston in 1988 there were three guys who I saw who had done London and Rotterdam the two days before and then flew to Boston to round out a three-day trifecta. Good stuff!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not my cup of tea at all as the only way i travel is at a snail's pace (took me 3 years just to get through SOUTHERN South America :)) but good for you guys! chasing those dreams!

your webpage does not load for me - well it loads but it is blank. and i don't see it mentioned on FB but only caught 5 marathons. are you doing 7 and if so where are the other 2? (USA (NA), UEA (Europe), ummmm....Egypt (Africa), London - what continent is that (not being a smart ass, really.)? and Oz.) oh, you're doing Antartica, right? so that is 6...

okay a little google led me to the (news to me) fact that Europe and Asia are considered different continents? Huh. That was not taught back in the 60s...

Ok, so I think I'm still missing one... Has South America been designated yet?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: 7 Marathons, 7 Continents, 7 Days [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Kathy

No worries. The reason why flights dont equal marathons is becasue we are doing the Asia marathon during transit, in-between flights from Africa to Australia (nothing can go wrong there, can it???)

So, here's the plan:

Antartica = King George Island Jan 19
South America = Punta Arenas, whilst waiting for connecting flights to Houston Jan 20
North America = Houston (or Miami as Plan B) Jan 21
Europe = London Jan 22
Africa = Cairo Jan 23
Asia = Dubai Jan 24
Australia = Sydney Jan 25

Looks scary when I write it down like that - oh well, too late now !!!!

Extra Mile

ETA: Ive learnt a lot about geography myself during the planning for this. For example, Istanbul in Turkey actually spans both Europe and Asia, so in theory, we could have run 2 x of the 7 marathons on one city. Thats pretty cool, isnt it?
Last edited by: theextramile: Sep 5, 14 6:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool stuff... best of luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next