Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 training. High intensity or volume.
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to decide on what plan to use for my September 70.3. In the past for shorter races I've used programs very similar to the Chris Carmichael plans with a lot of high intensity training. However for 70.3 I don't know if this is the best thing for me. As I've said on here in the past I am a UPS driver and walk between 11 + 15 miles a day just at work. Not to mention the equivalent of doing hundreds of squats and lifting a lot of packages and a lot of flights of stairs. My legs are constantly fatigued and juggling the training needed for longer races is becoming more difficult. Trying to manage my fatigue levels makes me wonder if I can follow previous plan or do I have to break down and get a coach???
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 training. High intensity or volume. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The answer is still volume, and alot of recovery. At lower intensity, you'll possibly even recover a bit from the pounding from the work. Overall, it doesn't sound like you're enjoying the combo of high intensity with your work's physical requirements, so why not try a different approach?
You might possibly get away with slightly less running since you're hitting 60+ mpw walking, but I wouldn't be certain of that. The extra strength from lifting probably doesn't translate much, but your general fitness is probably at a pretty good baseline, I'd imagine.
Why do you need a coach to alter/write your plan?

G'luck -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 training. High intensity or volume. [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
The answer is still volume, and alot of recovery.

Seems paradoxical.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 training. High intensity or volume. [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
The answer is still volume, and alot of recovery. At lower intensity, you'll possibly even recover a bit from the pounding from the work. Overall, it doesn't sound like you're enjoying the combo of high intensity with your work's physical requirements, so why not try a different approach?
You might possibly get away with slightly less running since you're hitting 60+ mpw walking, but I wouldn't be certain of that. The extra strength from lifting probably doesn't translate much, but your general fitness is probably at a pretty good baseline, I'd imagine.
Why do you need a coach to alter/write your plan?

G'luck -J

My thoughts on possibly using a coach were to help me manage the stresses of work and training on the body. I.E. telling me how much time is appropriate to take off per week. I do believe my overall Fitness level is relatively High but with this being my first 70.3 I'm scared to take too much time off each week. I'm not sure how much training I will need in conjunction with work to get the performance that I am looking for. But I also know from other Ultra runs I have done in the past in conjunction with work I can walk a very fine line with regards to overtraining. This is only my third ear and triathlon and I am finding managing all three disciplines more difficult then just running Ultras
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you know the answer. A knowledgeable coach can help you create a program that manages your stresses and improves your fitness and helps you meet your triathlon goals. I'd suspect doing your workouts very early morning could help you (if you aren't already) so that you have the best chance to create triathlon fitness, but not hammering yourself enough that you can't do your job appropriately. A fine balancing act indeed but one that can be done if you have a good consultant to help you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hat is off to you for even trying.
UPS drivers work long days and work hard for their $.
I say keep the volume down in general but make weekends for long training.
Make sure you are as recovered as possible going into these weekends (I.E.) Friday off.
Also take as many extra vacation days as possible in the training period to train and also to recover.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 training. High intensity or volume. [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it? Train as much free time you have, and make sure you get enough sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have to choose one or the other to emphasize, always choose intensity over volume. This is especially true when your training is limited by outside stresses like limited time or a physical job. Intensity gives you more bang for the buck (and delivering packages all day means your physical wallet is already closing in on empty). Intensity is a much more efficient way to train and shorter but intense workouts will generally be easier to recover from, and easier to fit into your schedule, than long slogs.

You do need to factor the physical demands of your job into your training load. What works for a young guy who spends all non training hours sitting at a desk (or laying on the couch . . . .) will not work for an older guy who is on his feet all day.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 training. High intensity or volume. [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
If you have to choose one or the other to emphasize, always choose intensity over volume. This is especially true when your training is limited by outside stresses like limited time or a physical job. Intensity gives you more bang for the buck (and delivering packages all day means your physical wallet is already closing in on empty). Intensity is a much more efficient way to train and shorter but intense workouts will generally be easier to recover from, and easier to fit into your schedule, than long slogs.

You do need to factor the physical demands of your job into your training load. What works for a young guy who spends all non training hours sitting at a desk (or laying on the couch . . . .) will not work for an older guy who is on his feet all day.

What would be some markers I could look at along the way to no if I'm on track ( Like having a run time goal 6 wks or 8wks pre race?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you guys think of Lars 9 hr training wk ????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the best approach is "mixing it up." Periodization where you have periods of time where you focus on short/high intensity stuff, then more volume/zone 2 type stuff...The worst approach is the same training all the time which I see a lot of ironman folks do, combined with them not racing enough especially local sprint tri's....Some people do get faster with volume vs intensity and vice versa....All my run pr's (16-5k/ 1:13 half mary,) came from high volume (80-90 miles/week) with 1 track session a week. Same goes with half-IM bike splits...but I would do weeks of short/high intensity stuff within that calendar year at some point.
Juan
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 training. High intensity or volume. [oldhagj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Volume.

High intensity may get good (similar?) results, but the chance of injury is infinitely higher.
Quote Reply